RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Servo at low voltage? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/323798-servo-low-voltage.html)

RCram 06-28-2011 09:53 PM

Servo at low voltage?

So I would like to run my servo at very low voltage, like 1-3 volts. Is that possible?

Please dont call me an idiot or ask why. I have my reasons.... Basically a servo that is too powerful for my current stupid plastic link rtr.

version_three 06-28-2011 10:20 PM

I'm pretty sure you can use a Castle BEC to throttle your voltage down to < 3V...

Honestly, I think you'll find that upgrading the tierod and draglink is gonna be better for you in the long run. You can pick them up from some of the vendors on here or make your own with some all thread and aluminum tube or even the casing off a bic pen.

Charlie-III 06-28-2011 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by version_three (Post 3163547)
I'm pretty sure you can use a Castle BEC to throttle your voltage down to < 3V...

Honestly, I think you'll find that upgrading the tierod and draglink is gonna be better for you in the long run. You can pick them up from some of the vendors on here or make your own with some all thread and aluminum tube or even the casing off a bic pen.

+1......fix the real issue, don't make yet another one. While dialing the voltage "may" help, you'll likely be pissed with the lack of performance.

RCram 06-29-2011 09:36 AM

Yeah that is in the works. It is a wraith and I'm waiting for VP's links to come out. I was thinking that servo speed would be reduced too. The stock servo is weak, especially for crawling, so I want to throw my hitec in soon. I will either leave in the stocker or just set the new one to under 5v and hope it holds up, it should...
thanks

crazyorigin 06-29-2011 11:34 AM

I am not sure if the CC BEC goes lower than like 4.8 but I am not sure, I left the default 5.1v setting on the one hooked up to my 7980 and the thing is still a beast, don't plan to crank it up anytime soon.

It will likely just flex your stock plastic linkage rather than break it, I would just leave it at a decent voltage and just be a little easy on it. Good thing about when stuff breaks is you have to get something better then, I say just beat on it and fix the weakpoints you find.

squatch71 06-29-2011 12:31 PM

Yeah, beat the hell out of it, then fix the broken pieces with stronger ones!!

toybuilder 06-29-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCram (Post 3163479)
So I would like to run my servo at very low voltage, like 1-3 volts. Is that possible?

Not if it's a digital servo. Probably not with an analog servo either. I doubt any servo will work much below 4 volts.

JokersWild 06-29-2011 03:18 PM

no comment. just silly if you ask me :lmao:

RCram 06-29-2011 04:38 PM

Alright, theres at least one jokester in the house. I know that it is like asking if a corvette will drive on two cylinders instead of 8, but I was curious if it was possible. :flipoff:

RCram 06-29-2011 04:40 PM

It looks like VP got their links made, so I guess it was a pointless excersise, but thanks for (most of) your help.