Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: electronics for mud truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2018, 05:32 PM   #1

Default electronics for mud truck

ok so i built a scx10 ii mud truck with som 2.2 cut mudslingers and i was running a quick run esc with a traxxas 12t brushed on 3s, well didn't work out burnt out the motor and esc. i think its time for brushless so i got a few i can't decide between
Traxxas Velineon VXL-3s with the Velineon's 10-turn 3500kV motor or the castle creations sidewinder 3 3800kv. i will be running 3s .so i have a few questions. the more kv the faster? should i get sensored or sensorless.

what are some other good options for motor esc?
Joseph molnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2018, 05:59 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: electronics for mud truck

I would say sensorless for a wide open pedal to the metal mud truck would be fine.Ive had both of those systems in the past.I would give Castle the nod for its tunability.
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZ View Post
I would say sensorless for a wide open pedal to the metal mud truck would be fine.Ive had both of those systems in the past.I would give Castle the nod for its tunability.
im not too concerned about torque at all I'm looking for speed is the castle faster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZ View Post
this is going to sound dumb bu I'm new to brushless so what do you mean by tuneability

Last edited by THX_138; 01-15-2018 at 01:16 AM.
Joseph molnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:32 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Chances are the Sidewinder & VXL-3 might be on the limit of what you're going for. Castle's gearing chart shows 2S max for 3800kv with a 5-6.5lb truck, 3S is for low-kv or buggies. All it would take is 1 bad day and you'll be spending a lot replacing stuff.

For the same price you can get a Hobbywing WP SC8 120A esc. It's designed for 1/8th vehicles and big motors, my philosophy is buy BIG and buy ONCE (I've never smoked an ESC). With a 3800kv you can do 3S and 4S if you get a motor below 3000kv.

If you can wait, you could get one of the Chinese motors like this GoolRC monster, it's similar to a Castle 1415 in size & power. For just 3S this would be the hot ticket, this 3800kv motor is in between the size of a 1410 and 1415. I use similar motors in my boats on 4S, they're pretty fantastic for the price. I'll be using that first motor later this year in an Exo Terra, at least if the gears can cope.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:09 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Like holmes hobbies says gear down volt up. A 12t traxxas motor really does not like 3s and in a mud truck you also need alot of torque. With that esc/ motor combo was looking for alot of amps which probably burnt out the esc and like i said the 12t brushed sealed can titans can't handle 3s for very long. The lower turn brushed motors dont do well on high volts. To run that many volts to low turn brushed motor you would have to gear down so as not to put as much strain and amp load on the motor and esc, thus lowering your speed. For brushless a higher kv motor likes less voltage. If you go lower kv you have more torque so you can run higher voltage and use higher gearing to obtain the speed you want within reason and pull less amp draw.
THUNDER PRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:41 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph molnar View Post
this is going to sound dumb bu I'm new to brushless so what do you mean by tuneability
The Castle esc has different parameters you can change/adjust with a Castle Link programming card you plug into the esc.
Google it for more info.
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote

electronics for mud truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can we get a mega truck - mud truck - monster truck section? Calderwood Comments, Suggestions, and Help 46 08-07-2015 11:15 AM
SCX10 Mud Truck - RCBros Burly Truck Conversion Sneetches Scale Videos! 1 07-19-2015 01:43 PM
SCX10 Mud Truck, Mega Truck Ideas thejudge1 Mega/Monster Trucks 7 11-08-2014 07:33 PM