RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Deans plugs wont go plug up? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/323954-deans-plugs-wont-go-plug-up.html)

country_crawler 06-29-2011 08:22 PM

Deans plugs wont go plug up?

Im making the switch to deans plugs, and when I soldered the plugs to the esc, and battery they will not plug in together. I finally got them to go a little bit and they were a mother to get half way together and pull them back out? Is there something im doing wrong or is there a technique? "thumbsup"

RickM 06-29-2011 08:24 PM

did you get any flux down in the deans connection.

crawlHTX 06-29-2011 08:27 PM

You may have applied heat too long and mis-shaped the plastic.

Moparguy 06-29-2011 08:30 PM

I have found if you don't plug the female and the male ends of the plug together when you are soldering the wires on them the heat can warp the prongs just enough that they won't go together. Hope this helps.

country_crawler 06-29-2011 08:32 PM

Yeah I scraped some of the flux off and it went in. Thanks guys.

country_crawler 06-29-2011 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moparguy (Post 3164985)
I have found if you don't plug the female and the male ends of the plug together when you are soldering the wires on them the heat can warp the prongs just enough that they won't go together. Hope this helps.

i'll try that on my next set. "thumbsup"

Gimp 06-29-2011 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickM (Post 3164971)
did you get any flux down in the deans connection.

I think you guys mean solder... Flux is an "applesauce" like liquid to help with heat transfer while soldering.

danielk 06-30-2011 04:53 AM

flux hardens after being heated. they knew what they meant.

Greatscott 06-30-2011 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielk (Post 3165366)
flux hardens after being heated. they knew what they meant.

Flux will run quite a ways and find its way were you don't want it because its melting temp is a lot lower than the solder around it.

The best way to prevent this from happening is to not solder the Deans vertically. I use a set of "helping hands" that holds the plugs on their side, the flux runs to the bottom of the solder joint and is easily cleaned off with some isopropyl alcohol.

CD13 06-30-2011 10:38 AM

I got some cheap brand and they didn't work with the real deans either. :twisted:

CREEPERBOB 06-30-2011 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cd13 (Post 3165746)
i got some cheap brand and they didn't work with the real deans either. :twisted:

x2 , the cheap fake deans are junk.

Greatscott 06-30-2011 11:20 AM

A guy at a LHS tried selling me some of those. They looked like Deans, but the packaging looked real cheap (white cardboard) and the plugs were bright red. He said, "They are just like Deans, but cheaper..." I told him that I could not see the sense in buying a knock-off brand for something I'm going to put amps of power through, when that cheap knock-off fails and my rig goes up in flames will it still be worth the buck I saved?

AreCee 06-30-2011 12:15 PM

It's mostly the plastic deforming from holding the heat too long on the terminals when soldering. More commonly seen when using guns or weak irons.

Best way is to plug the male into the female and then solder the wires on. that way each end holds the position and doesn't deform/melt.

Butcherinhd 06-30-2011 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AreCee (Post 3165873)
It's mostly the plastic deforming from holding the heat too long on the terminals when soldering. More commonly seen when using guns or weak irons.

Best way is to plug the male into the female and then solder the wires on. that way each end holds the position and doesn't deform/melt.

Thats the only way i could ever get them to stay straight. if i didnt do this i always have to take a flat head and re shape the hole .

CD13 06-30-2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greatscott (Post 3165801)
A guy at a LHS tried selling me some of those. They looked like Deans, but the packaging looked real cheap (white cardboard) and the plugs were bright red. He said, "They are just like Deans, but cheaper..." I told him that I could not see the sense in buying a knock-off brand for something I'm going to put amps of power through, when that cheap knock-off fails and my rig goes up in flames will it still be worth the buck I saved?

I got them on line and where advertised as dean's but as soon as I saw them I knew I was screwed. I only use them on the mini, I would never rely on them in the 2.2 comp truck. "thumbsup"