Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 3R racing winch handle 3cell lipo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default 3R racing winch handle 3cell lipo?

Any of you guys run your 1/10 scale 3R racing winch off your 3 cell lipo? If not did you just wire in a 10amp castle bec to power it? thanks.
NMLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

mine is running thru ccbec at 9v. never bumped it past 9v as I heard it doesn't last long past 9
discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Used for quite awhile on 3cells,no problems. Went back to c.c. Bec at 7v just to be safe. Just alot slower and less power now.
tklatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

BEC set at 6 volts for lights and winch
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rocker View Post
BEC set at 6 volts for lights and winch

X2
ped453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Think it would kill a bec to run a steering servo and winch on the same bec set at 6 volts? I could see being in a bind and having to steer while you winch your way out.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:25 PM   #7
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMLJ View Post
Think it would kill a bec to run a steering servo and winch on the same bec set at 6 volts? I could see being in a bind and having to steer while you winch your way out.
That is how I currently run mine, and I've had no problems so far. I'd like to run a dedicated BEC for the winch so I can up the voltage, but I have a different plan for that down the road.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #8
Jus
I wanna be Dave

How exactly do you wire a BEC dedicated to powering a winch? The winch controller has it's own power input so do you take the BEC plug that would normally go to the rx and wire it to winch controller input? Right now I'm running a seperate 7.2v battery for the winch and it's a PITA.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
How exactly do you wire a BEC dedicated to powering a winch? The winch controller has it's own power input so do you take the BEC plug that would normally go to the rx and wire it to winch controller input? Right now I'm running a seperate 7.2v battery for the winch and it's a PITA.

Thats what I'm going to do.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #10
DOOH!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
You are correct, just use the red and black wires from the plug end of the CCBEC and connect them to the winch controller input power wires, 3S in = 7.2 out I also found out the only wire I needed to run the controller from the receiver is the signal wire.
MTHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

So my next question is.....

Can you tie the power leads of the winch into the leads that go to the reciever for the winch? If I use a bec to power my reciever anyway might as well just pull power from it right?
Old 07-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #12
DOOH!!!

Quote:
So my next question is.....

Can you tie the power leads of the winch into the leads that go to the reciever for the winch? If I use a bec to power my reciever anyway might as well just pull power from it right?
You could but your only going to be feeding it what the BEC is set at and I'm not sure you want to pump 7+ v into your receiver then remaining electronics just to make the winch happy. If you run the BEC at 5v then the winch will be slow and weak.
MTHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:21 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHead View Post
You could but your only going to be feeding it what the BEC is set at and I'm not sure you want to pump 7+ v into your receiver then remaining electronics just to make the winch happy. If you run the BEC at 5v then the winch will be slow and weak.
Spectrum recievers can handle up to 9.6 volts and my hitec servo is good to 7.4 volts. So if I set my bec for 7.4 volts everything should be happy right? I just wonder about the amp draw from the winch thru such small wiring on the reciever leads, but the power leads on the bec are the same size so guess it's not a big deal.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:34 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Spectrum recievers can handle up to 9.6 volts and my hitec servo is good to 7.4 volts. So if I set my bec for 7.4 volts everything should be happy right? I just wonder about the amp draw from the winch thru such small wiring on the reciever leads, but the power leads on the bec are the same size so guess it's not a big deal.
What you have just described is the way I recommend running your connections when using my HV winch controller.
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
What you have just described is the way I recommend running your connections when using my HV winch controller.
Wired it up thru the reciever and so far everything works great. I will chim back in if something changes. Thank you guys for your help.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #16
Tzi
Quarry Creeper

I currently run my 3racing winch on 3cell using a cheap esc off ebay.
The ESC is a rated to 7.2v and has been encased in plasti-dip for waterproofing.
On 3cell it runs perfectly fine, and will pull about 11kg before stall (if the gearbox will hold)
Every time, the gearbox is the thing that breaks not the motor, and I have even run one recently on 4cell for a short while, but after spooling in too quick and hitting the fairlead, the gearbox exploded
Tzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #17
Tzi
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I just wonder about the amp draw from the winch thru such small wiring on the reciever leads......
From my testing, the 3racing winch motor will pull ALMOST 2A on 11.1v at stall.
Tzi is offline   Reply With Quote