Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Glitch problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 12:51 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Glitch problems

So installed my new BR-XL along with a CC BEC pro. Run 75mhz FM system and never had a problem with old ESC.

Went thru the castle link and set my CC BEC pro to 6v.
Did the same with the BR-XL. At first I setup the Holmes Hold 50% and after the glitching I reduced down to 10% for the time being.
I am only running one BR-XL right now.

The CC BEC runs the servos directly while the internal BEC runs the Rx and signal wires to servos and ESC.

At half throttle rig sputters. Moves foward and stops then continues. Full throttle seems to be ok. Sometimes makes the servos jumpy as well.

Maybe just having the BEC next to the Rx is giving me radio noise problems. But never had issues with it sitting next to old ESC.

I may just need to play with it some more and move the Rx further away from other electrical components and see what the outcome is.

But the way my rig is wired I do not run the external BEC into the Rx and pull the red wire off of the ESC connector.

BEC is ran directly to servos via y-harness and only the signal wire goes to the Rx.

Any of you tried these two different wiring methods with different results?

I prolly just need to play with locations to get the best outcome and cleanest signal.
Rok Krawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2011, 01:17 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

well I decided to give it a quick look over. My ESC wire was not fully presed into the Rx. I cant tell if that fully fixed the issue. Have to go for a small run tomrrow.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:38 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

When I had issues like that it was solved by going from fm to 2.4gh
PowerCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Take off the hold, then try again. The Hold mode creates a lot of EMI that your radio probably doesn't like.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Well think I have found the problem. Moved electrics away from Rx and also found out that my rear servo was stripped out. Pulled the plug on it and took care of my issues thus far.

I still have the hold on 10%. Replacing servo with a new metal geared one.

Well yeah I will eventually get a new radio. Want to stick with my M11, but a true 4 channel version.

Just got new BR-XL and CC BEC installed along with custom set of tires. So gotta let the wallet cool off a bit before I continue.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:28 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Well after replacing the servo I was still having issues. It acted as thou someone was on my frequency. I got irritated and starting messing with electronics. Come to find out the CC BEC is causing the issue. If I put my hand around it while on it causes the ESC to send a jolt to the motors.

I did turn off the holmes hold and change to the standard braking system as well.

I run FM and it will be awhile be4 I will convert to ghz system.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I've saw a couple cases where the rx wanted the ground from the BEC plugged into the rx also, signal only glitched. May try that next.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
I've saw a couple cases where the rx wanted the ground from the BEC plugged into the rx also, signal only glitched. May try that next.
Ok. I will get a few new y-harnesses and leave the signal and ground wire hooked up.

Now can you hook BEC leads together via y-harness and plug into Rx in batt slot and hook up servos to Rx? Only running 6V to servos.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Ya, you can pull the red from the ESC and power it that way. Dont cut the wire, just take a knife blade and lift the tab and pull the wire out. If that doesn't help the ground from BEC won't either. Long term I might get nervous about leaving it that way if your running high amp draw servo's due to heat.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:13 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
Ya, you can pull the red from the ESC and power it that way. Dont cut the wire, just take a knife blade and lift the tab and pull the wire out. If that doesn't help the ground from BEC won't either. Long term I might get nervous about leaving it that way if your running high amp draw servo's due to heat.

right now just running dual futaba 3305. Mainly a BB servo with metal gears. Next upgrades for me will be sum bully axles.

I will get to mess with it again tomorrow morning. I am going to pull the BEC off completely and run with just the internal and see what results I get.
If all is well I will turn on the holmes hold and then see how radio system responds to changes. If I still dont have any probs, then I will hook the BEC back up and try the ground wire hook up 1st.

So I know the BRXL can handle up to 6s. But I have only ran 2s for the longest time. Anyone run 3s or 4s?

Last edited by Rok Krawl; 07-07-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:31 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

ok I tested without the BEC hooked up. Completely pulled out of truck. No glitching issues. thumbs up! Then I got another set of y-harnesses and pulled the red wire out of the tabs and kept the black and the white wires in the lead. Hooked it all back up to Rx. Did my normal test and so far no glitching. Next test after work will be putting the holmes hold back on.

So makes me think. If you look on CC's website they only tell you to pull the red wire. Not the ground wire as well. So wonder if ground wire has some sort of way to cancel out some of the radio noise?
Old 07-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rok Krawl View Post
So makes me think. If you look on CC's website they only tell you to pull the red wire. Not the ground wire as well. So wonder if ground wire has some sort of way to cancel out some of the radio noise?
Grounds can do funky things, some is related to the RX in use. I have no issues in my setup, but it appears it is an issue with yours.
Either way, sounds like you resolved it.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #13

Without the ground wire from servo to RX, the signal becomes referenced to a ground that passes through the BEC instead of the RX. This could cause a floating ground reference in relation to the RX ground. While I have never had an issue with floating the servo ground through the BEC, it could certainly cause problems.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:04 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

well thanks for the help guys. Maybe when I upgrade to ghz system I will have less interference as well.

John... when I ordered ESC I looked at motors. Currently run 65T. Was looking at hand wound motors. What are good for crawling around the house and daily use?

Also I am not sure if im going to stick with a 2s or bump it up to 3s or 4s
Old 07-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #15

I would say a 45t motor would be a good bet for you. Nice middle of the road wind.