Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Charging issue.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Charging issue.

I just got 2 Turnigy 2.2 3cell packs. I pulled the plugs off soldered on deans plugged it up to my Hyperion EOS 0403i DC. It goes through it cycle starts charge then says *ERROR* open circuit battery. Any ideas on whats happening whats?
xigtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Are you using the balance port?
Did you swap the polarity of the wiring?
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Are you using the balance port?
Did you swap the polarity of the wiring?
Yes I'm using the 3 cell balance port and the wires are red to red and black to black. It says the same thing without the battery balance .
Old 07-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

How low is the pack voltage? Some chargers will complain if the pack is lower than expected, sometimes you can put a 3S in as a 2S to get it going, then stop the charge & set it back to 3S.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:05 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

An "open circuit" error means just that. Please verify by pulling out charge leads slightly from charger and probing the jacks where enters into charger. If during the error you also get an open circuit then you indeed have one. If not then perhaps the charger is faulty.
floogldood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:42 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by floogldood View Post
An "open circuit" error means just that. Please verify by pulling out charge leads slightly from charger and probing the jacks where enters into charger. If during the error you also get an open circuit then you indeed have one. If not then perhaps the charger is faulty.
Probe as in? How would i have an open circuit? I tried the 2 cell charge to get voltage up, and its not my charger. My other MaxAmps charge just fine. These just arrived yesterday so I'm a little annoyed.

Thanks for the help so far.
Thomas
Old 07-08-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Have you confirmed if the cells are below 3.0volts per cell? Connect the balance port to the charger and press the BATT TYPE button for a few seconds. This goes into data view and you can scroll to the individual cells screen to see the voltage of each cell. If the cell voltages are above 3.0v/c then there is a problem with your solder joint at the battery terminals or your deans (are they real deans?) or inside the pack.
SuperRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRoo View Post
Have you confirmed if the cells are below 3.0volts per cell? Connect the balance port to the charger and press the BATT TYPE button for a few seconds. This goes into data view and you can scroll to the individual cells screen to see the voltage of each cell. If the cell voltages are above 3.0v/c then there is a problem with your solder joint at the battery terminals or your deans (are they real deans?) or inside the pack.
They're real Deans, I'll check the individual voltage tonight. I'll post what I find.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

If its an open then probaly one of the solder joints is bad or loose on the battery packs. I had this problem once on a cheap pack and i took the pack apart and fixed it myself to avoid shipping times
PowerCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:57 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Okay I put it on charge and its charging. However if I try to hook it to the balance port I'm getting the same message as before
Old 07-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4crawler View Post
Okay I put it on charge and its charging. However if I try to hook it to the balance port I'm getting the same message as before
That to me sounds like what was said in previous posts...there is a bad/broken solder joint to do with the packs wiring.
The fact its now only doing it when the balance lead is plugged in narrows it down to most likely the PCB that the balance wires are hooked into.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I'm so ignorant! I didn't use the right balance port. I've got it all figures out and appreciate the help.