Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Question about the TQ3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2011, 01:03 AM   #1

Default Question about the TQ3

I am getting my truck ready to go and purchased a TQ3. Looked new and was as advertised so I didn't even mess with it till the truck was ready.

Well, I'm getting close so I charged up the batteries, picked up the unit and when I turned the wheel I noticed hardly any movement/throw. Maybe 1/2 inch to each side from center. Is this normal? It appears to be such little movement and would result in some wild driving. I would like to see that wheel move about 1-2 inches each side from center.

Am I wrong in my thinking? Looking for some ideas and expertise.

Thanx

CD
CobraDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2011, 05:47 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I'm assuming you mean the TX wheel moves only a little bit? If so, I found no info (quickly) on the net regarding any adjustments for it.
If you mean the rig wheels don't move much, there may be a dual rate switch for the steering which will limit servo throw vs. steering input which is nice for "go-fasts".
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:52 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

This seems about normal for a Traxxas TX. Other brands turn further, but not by much. I have always thought that the TQs should have more steering wheel throw but in the end you don't really notice it while driving.
wantAsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #4

ok well, then I guess you have to manipulate this thing very gently at speed otherwise there will be lots of flipping and out of control driving.

In my logic, the more throw you give the wheel on the controller the more control you will have and precision of your truck, the less throw you have the less the precision and a much quicker response. With this little movement I think maybe too quick of a response.

Anyhow, thank you for your responses,

CD
Old 07-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraDriver View Post
ok well, then I guess you have to manipulate this thing very gently at speed otherwise there will be lots of flipping and out of control driving.

In my logic, the more throw you give the wheel on the controller the more control you will have and precision of your truck, the less throw you have the less the precision and a much quicker response. With this little movement I think maybe too quick of a response.

Anyhow, thank you for your responses,

CD
This is not ideal because it would force you to hold the radio in a funny uncomfortable position, and I'm sure the wrist would start to ache after a long bash session...the tq3 is a old out dated radio, now days go fast rc use expo in their radios, this will allow fine control of the car until close to the end of the movement where the cars steering will go full lock.

In a crawler, expo is not needed In the steering. A linear channel is desirable. However if using fast motors expo could be useful on the throttle for more low end control.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

i just checked a tq3 i had laying around and same thing about 1/8 turn each way from center.. and this also felt weird because i use a tq3(different one) with my crawler now and i believe it has more throw each way ill check and let you know.
xiteamxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:09 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Yep there both like that ... never noticed really but its still crawl-able like that.
xiteamxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #8

I like the feel of the controller but have some serious issues with this "Wheel Throw".

I think I might have to split this thing open and experiment on some options. Whatever I come up with, rest assured I will document and share with all.

Thanx again and just love what you guys do here. These crawlers are absolutely amazing. I've never been exposed to this world before and never seen any of this.

CD
Old 07-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #9
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraDriver View Post
I like the feel of the controller but have some serious issues with this "Wheel Throw".

I think I might have to split this thing open and experiment on some options. Whatever I come up with, rest assured I will document and share with all.

Thanx again and just love what you guys do here. These crawlers are absolutely amazing. I've never been exposed to this world before and never seen any of this.

CD
I'll tell you right now unless you are familiar with how electronics work, you'll never figure out how to get more throw out of that wheel...click on the custom radio link in my Sig. Before you decide to how to take my advice.

If you Do know how electronics work, down to basic ic's then ill give you afew ideas that should/might work. Because its not hard to take the wheel off and cut the bump stops down, I've done it a bunch. But I do for a new circuit board that needs more voltage difference for the a/d encoders. But the tq is meant to give you full throw with that little bit of turning. So you'll have to know how pots, ic's, and resistors all work together in order to have more wheel travel on the tx, but also have the channel follow it.

And I'm not trying to be a dream killer, because I'm usually first to jump in on custom radio stuff and helping people out...but for the amount of effort it'll take it'd just better to pickup a nice fm computer radio for a couple bucks, or a Chinese brand 2.4 computer radio for 35 bucks. And I promise that extra throw in the wheel is a pita after long bash sessions. In a crawler the tq will be fine unless you hate the jitters. If your racing, well then spend a few $ and get a computer radio with expo
Old 07-10-2011, 12:21 AM   #10
Got Worms?

I got rid of that link I guess, in my Sig. ill see if I can find the thread on my phone
Old 07-10-2011, 12:25 AM   #11
Got Worms?

Here's some of my work

www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295585

Last edited by losikid; 07-10-2011 at 12:28 AM.