Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: So what was the problem? FXR or Lipo??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default So what was the problem? FXR or Lipo??

Just got my crawler all wired up with dual FXR's. Adjusted settings and calibrated to 4pl. Everything worked great first time. After the test I put the 3s 1000mah lipo on the charger. 2 hours later I connected the same battery to the crawler and it immediatly started smoking at the base of the balance plug wires and even melted through. I felt the ESC's and the rear ESC was hot. Both battery and ESC were new. I tested another battery on the crawler and now the rear ESC is delayed and has no reverse. I tried updating the settings and recalibrating but nothing seemed to help. The front ESC still seems to perform fine. Also I had deleted the on off switches before the first test.

Specs
dual FXR with stock caps and 14 gauge wire
4pl
3s 1000mah lipo
HH 16t Crawlmaster motors (About same draw as 35t's)
CC BEC wired straight to servo

Last edited by dstrbd1; 07-09-2011 at 06:23 PM.
dstrbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2011, 09:00 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

No takers? Well I went ahead and ordered another FXR. Going to send the other back to Tekin to see if maybe they can repair it. At this rate I am definitely going to need a spare.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Not a lot of time for some to see your post, thus limited answers available.
I'm not sure, doesn't sound good though.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:13 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Sounds to me like there was a short in the battery/and or. Hence the smoke and melted bits...its then taken out the fet that controls reverse in the rear esc.

In short, new ESC (which you've done) and new battery is called for.

If you feel safe doing so, you can always de-wrap the battery and see if you can spot where it shorted, and crack the case off the FXR to check for burnt out components.

If you are going to de-wrap that batt, do it outside away from flammable stuff. Then if the battery goes flambe you can at least get it away from yourself before she goes bang.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:27 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the response. I don't really want to risk messing with the lipo. I am just going to contact the builder and see what they say. Then probably send it back or kill it. As for the ESC I am crossing my fingers that maybe Tekin can repair it for little to no cost. Just sucks for me. I just got back from deployment and was excited to get this crawler put together and now I have to wait longer
Old 07-10-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Almost sounds like the polarity was reversed on the rear ESC, but then you would have expected the failure to happen as soon as you hooked it up the first time. What was the charge on the battery the first time you tested?
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:43 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Battery was at storage level at first hookup. I actually reconnected it several times during testing. I am now wondering if maybe when I connected the battery it sparked between the solder joints on the ESC. I noticed they were real close together when I was removing it. Not touching but very close.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrbd1 View Post
Battery was at storage level at first hookup. I actually reconnected it several times during testing. I am now wondering if maybe when I connected the battery it sparked between the solder joints on the ESC. I noticed they were real close together when I was removing it. Not touching but very close.
At normal RC voltages, you really don't get arc jumps. But, you "may" have had a short that "cleared" when it burned through. This could have happened with a wire strand you didn't see that made the short with no battery. Once you plugged it in, zap....no more magic smoke.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quite possibly could of been a small strand. That was the fastest I had moved in a long time when the "magic smoke puffed out of the battery