Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 55T what is the best pinion gear for wheal spead?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2011, 10:57 PM   #1

Default 55T what is the best pinion gear for wheal spead?

Looking for some help. I have a Axial Honcho and a few motors 55T intergy, 75T intergy, 27T axial, I also have a few pinion gears 20, 18, 16 and 14 but cant seem to find the right one to use to get fast wheel speed. Yes the 27T is fast but it doesnt have the crawling power of the 55T and the 75T is just to slow. So with that being said...what pinion gear are others using with the 55t to get the mud flying yet would still give me the right crawl spead on the rocks. Also using a Venom 3000 7.2 bat(2yrs old), would switching to Lipo help? ANY suggestions would be great.
Trail Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2011, 11:45 PM   #2
Proverbial threadkiller

Switching to a 2S LiPo would help, but marginally (imo). If your ESC can run a 3S, that would be a noticable difference.

I haven't messed with the gearing yet, so I look forward to others' input on that as well.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:10 AM   #3

right now i'm running the waterproof Traxxas XL5 will that handle a 3S?
Old 07-10-2011, 12:21 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

The bigger the pinion the higher the higher the wheel speed. But the trade of is you also lose torque at the wheels and if you go too far you can cook the motor. Keep an eye on your motor temps and keep it under 160*f and it should be fine.

But in saying all that, running a nimh/nicd stick pack with a 55t its not going to set the world on fire thats for sure.

As Trubble said, if you can throw 3s lipo at it. It'll wake it up and give you some wheel speed.

Another option is get a decent 35t motor (Holmes, Brood etc.), then you will still have the torque & crawlability but it will pick up some wheel speed.

EDIT: an XL5 is only rated at 9.6v max or something like that. So no go on the 3s option.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:46 AM   #5

Wideload, thanks for the heads up on the XL5 and Lipo!

If/when i switch over to a Lipo any suggestions on a waterproof ESC that will take the power of a Lipo, or even a ESC that I could Plasti dip.

I used plasti Dip on my stock Axial reciever and so far no problems.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

spend the money and get a good 35t motor, they still have pleanty of low end on the rock, with the wheelspeed and tourqe for mudding, IMO a 35t motor is the best motor for a scx-10.

you will never be happy with a 55t in an scx IMO just too slow, and switching to lipo will help but not that much, but you might as well switch as they are practicly cheaper and better than the older, heavier, and space wasting ni-cd's and ni-mh battries.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Hound View Post
If/when i switch over to a Lipo any suggestions on a waterproof ESC that will take the power of a Lipo, or even a ESC that I could Plasti dip.
The Velineon ESC will handle 3S, is water resistant, and can run brushless (sensored and non), and can be wired up to run brushed. But... they have a double tap when going from forward to reverse, if you get in a tight spot while crawling and start to go over backwards, you'll learn really quick to not like that double tap. You could reverse the switch on your transmitter, then swap the leads on your motor (recalibrate) , then the double tap would be when going from reverse to forward. (if your motor has adjustable timing, set it to zero, or negative an equal value of what it's advanced. For closed endbell motors, can't adjust the timing, so run it like it is)

But the one I'd more than likely go with would be the Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster BR-XL. Advertises a more robust BEC, drag brake features, is available with epoxy waterproofing, and can be programmed via CastleLink, but is for brushed motors only.

Don't know if you've got LiPo's for any other rides, so I'll include the standard safety warning: Be sure you've got a LiPo specific charger, and a charging sack.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Hound View Post
Wideload, thanks for the heads up on the XL5 and Lipo!
I used plasti Dip on my stock Axial reciever and so far no problems.

If & when you go lipo and upgrade the ESC.
I wouldnt even hesitate about going for a Holmes Hobbies BRXL. They are waterproof, can handle up to 6s lipo, and from my experience awesome value for money.
Plus it is actually set up for crawling and is fully tweakable using castle link. So you can adjust drag brake, throttle curves, etc.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:42 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

BR-XL 3s lipo and a 35t motor. That should give you the best wheel speed and torque.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:05 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Just what they said.^^^^ Holmes Hobbies products are top notch. Going to be getting myself a hand wound HH motor here soon.
tazman is offline   Reply With Quote