Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: High W chargers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default High W chargers

So I'm thinking of getting another charger for the garage. The biggest battery I have thus far is a 5000mah 3S which has a max charge rating of 5S. I probably won't ever go past 3S or so but it got me thinking. If I ever get into planes or what not I'd like one that could charge a little quicker. Basically planning for future RC's because I don't really want to buy another charger after this one.

At first I was thinking of getting the hyperion 720i which would charge what I have at 2x and I have a computer power supply to power it. The ac power feature is nice but not really a make or brake deal for me.

The Thunderpower 820 seems nice and can charge several batteries at once. I kinda figure if you're going to spend 175 on a single port high output why not spend 260 on a dual port. capable of charging higher S batteries.
http://thunderpowerrc.com/html/TP820CD.html

The Hyperion 730i also looks sweet and is a little cheaper.
http://www.hyperion-eu.com/products/...P-EOS0730iNET3

With either of the last 2 I can power them with what I have right now and can always buy a 24V supply down the road.

Should I just settle for the 720i and if need be down the road buy another one or go all out and get a big wiz-bang charger now?
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

You will be limited in power with a 12v source. The hyperion chargers limit around 250 watts when 12v input is used.

I run a hyperion 1420i for my big packs. The 730i is a pretty good one too if you don't run higher voltage packs, probably the best choice for you. I run two 1420i units in tandem for 20 cell packs. For standard R/C packs the 0606i is powerful enough if you don't want to cram the amps into the pack.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
You will be limited in power with a 12v source. The hyperion chargers limit around 250 watts when 12v input is used.

I run a hyperion 1420i for my big packs. The 730i is a pretty good one too if you don't run higher voltage packs, probably the best choice for you. I run two 1420i units in tandem for 20 cell packs. For standard R/C packs the 0606i is powerful enough if you don't want to cram the amps into the pack.

I was thinking the same thing John. The quote from the lhs was 165 for the 720i or 185 for the 730i. A dual port charger would be nice but they are in the $260 range.

Does anyone know what the discharge rate of the 730i is? I can't seem to find it on their web page.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #4

It isn't too much. I think discharge is limited to 80w or 10 amps, since there isn't anywhere for the power to go besides back into the machine.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:41 AM   #5

I fly airplanes as well and have several 6s 5000 mah packs, as well as A123 and everything else in between. You can save some major bucks..

charger http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...13&item_id=533

16A power supply http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...13&item_id=518

I've been using these all year and there doing great. They have some great lipos too.
maeu2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:03 PM   #6
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post

So your saying its ok to run 20 cell packs on the new crawl master

But seriously what are you running 84 volts to? Are you making a holmes electric car?
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #7

We could certainly wind up a CrawlMaster for 20s use, but good luck finding a small controller for it at that voltage. I use 18s and 20s on my faster electric bikes. I generally run 3hp continuous and 5 to 7hp peak on daily drivers. I can also break down my 20s2p pack into 10s4p for slower bikes. If I wanted to be nuts about it, we could also go 5s8p for use as a portable charger battery. It is just easier to charge a few extra crawler packs instead of lugging around a 15lb battery though.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I'd like to see pictures of the bike

John, what are you using to power the chargers? I've found a couple of 24V supplies, the Mean Wells one looks pretty awesome but trying to find a re-saler north of the border is tricky. Shipping from the states is roughly $50.

I could always use 2 12V auto batteries but I was just curious what other people are using for a 24V source. Portability would be nice.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:04 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Default Re: High W chargers

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I thought someone might find this useful. For 24v PSU, it is easy to wire two server power supplies or PC power supplies in series. You MUST isolate the DC ground on the second unit, or you will cause a short. Here is my 24v PSU:

83GT is offline   Reply With Quote