Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 35t, 45t or 55t for 2s or 3s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 09:33 AM   #1

Default 35t, 45t or 55t for 2s or 3s

I just bought a Axial scx10 and put a castle MMP with a traxxas 12t titan in it, just some stuff i had laying around. Well the motor is already shot and I an wanting to upgrade to the Tekin FX-R and one of the tekin motors but dont know which one i should get. I have some 3s batteries for my airplanes that dont get much use so i would like to use 3s. I have some 2s batteries also. What motor would be best for 3s? I mainly just crawl on dirt piles at my house and will be building a rock course also.
CMaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2011, 09:45 AM   #2

I think that decision is mostly personal choice. The 55t will give you the longest run times and probably break less parts. In my truck I run 35 turn on 3s, but i like to be able to launch over a little gap, or crest with a blip of the throttle. Launching the truck like that has lead to a series of breakages so that I've replaced all the plastic parts in my drive line to metal parts.
static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:45 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I'm no expert but I'm running a plain FXR with a 45T on 3S with the AX10 14/87 gearing and it's pretty slow. I'm about to order a 35T for my son's SCX10 and run it off 2S but I'd have to change the spur and pinion a bit to keep the same speed.

My concern with the FXR on 3S with a 35T motor in a trail truck would be heat. Hopefully someone can comment on operating temps with a 35T on 3S with gearing. You'd probably be safe with the FXR pro. Now if you use the 35T on 3S and gear it similar to the AX-10 it should be fine. I would go with the 35T though.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:46 AM   #4
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

All around crawling- 2s use, get a 35t. 3s use, get a 35t or 45t. Want super long runtimes and don't care about power and speed, get a 55t motor.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:59 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I have used both 35 and 45 on 2s-4s and i gotta say 35t. It has the best of both worlds. Low end grunt and plenty of jumping speed. Or you can just go all out and get you 7t/10t puller. Those are what i really like to run. All kinds of axle twisting torque and almost enough wheelspeed to keep up with a 27t.
Onebdgti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMaD View Post
I just bought a Axial scx10 and put a castle MMP with a traxxas 12t titan in it, just some stuff i had laying around. Well the motor is already shot and I an wanting to upgrade to the Tekin FX-R and one of the tekin motors but dont know which one i should get. I have some 3s batteries for my airplanes that dont get much use so i would like to use 3s. I have some 2s batteries also. What motor would be best for 3s? I mainly just crawl on dirt piles at my house and will be building a rock course also.
Keep the mmp in there as it has better specs than the fxr. The only better thing about the fxr is that it has a smaller footprint. With the mmp you could pick up a 45t motor and run it on 4s for a good combo. 35t on 3s would also be a great combo. Or you could pick up a brushless sensored motor if you would like less maintenance.
ax-10 crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #7

so looks like my best option would be the 35t, i could run it on 2s for crawling and stuff, and if i wanted a little more speed i could throw a 3s in it and do some damage. Will i also be able to crawl at very slow speeds on 3s? will i have any problems running on 3s like heat or anything. I have read that some people say to use an external bec when going with 3s?

I am not stuck on getting the tekin motor, I have been looking at the holmes stuff also. I will be getting the tekin fx-r though, all my other esc's are tekin and i already have the hotwire.

Last edited by CMaD; 07-13-2011 at 10:32 AM.
CMaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #8
RCC Addict

i use a 35t on mine with a 3s and the run times are pretty good, i use a 2200ma and played for over an hour yesterday. crawling , mudding and even raced back and forth in the parking lot
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:07 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMaD View Post
Will i also be able to crawl at very slow speeds on 3s?
I am not stuck on getting the tekin motor, I have been looking at the holmes stuff also. I will be getting the tekin fx-r though, all my other esc's are tekin and i already have the hotwire.
I run a Holmes Hobbies Handwound on 3cell and it is super smooth and torquey at slow speeds.I'm using his BRXL speed control too and it's nice to be able to run more than a 3 cell sometimes.I highly recogmend his stuff and his service to his customers.
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cave Dave View Post
I run a Holmes Hobbies Handwound on 3cell and it is super smooth and torquey at slow speeds.I'm using his BRXL speed control too and it's nice to be able to run more than a 3 cell sometimes.I highly recogmend his stuff and his service to his customers.
X2
br-xl and holmes 45t handwound. on 3s lipo. great torque AND low speed control with some speed too. I kinda want to try a 35t. my axles are packed FULL of grease for waterproofing so that slows me down a bit with some drag.

but great motor/esc combo.
PLUS IF YOU WANT TO GET WET YOU CAN GET THE BR-XL WATERPROOF EDITION. and yes it is definetly waterproof!!! tested and approved

Last edited by discgolferlee; 07-13-2011 at 04:29 PM.
discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Great thing about the brxl is you do not need a bec for 6v output. So unless you put in a hv servo you are good to go.
ubbb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubbb69 View Post
Great thing about the brxl is you do not need a bec for 6v output. So unless you put in a hv servo you are good to go.
I needed one with my savox servo but the servo also is full of dieletric grease for waterproofing so it has some extra resistance to overcome.

most instances won't require a bec though.
GREAT ESC.
discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote