Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: CCBEC or CCBEC Pro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 11:14 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default CCBEC or CCBEC Pro

1. Are both of them capable for the Castle Link or is the Pro version only?

2. I have a high torque servo so how should I wire this thing up?

3. Is the wiring diagram for the BEC Pro on CC's website correct for my situation?

Thanks all
Lambo3244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2011, 11:18 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

what is your situation?

i have personally thought the same question. Although i know there are drivers in my area that have the regular cc bec and have it tuned to 7.4. They told me they guys at my LHS turned up the juice.

Assuming they aren't blowing smoke up my butt.... I would say the regular cc bec is castle link compatible.

back to the question though.... What situation are you in?
RockDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:37 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Sorry for not explaining fully. I put the new high torque servo on. Now when I give it throttle, steer, and let the steering turn back as I stay on throttle the truck will cut off for a split second. Some other folks on here recommended turning off the Lipo setting on the RX while others recommended the BEC (whichever one was CC Link compatible). And how do I wire it to the servo since that is what seems to be taking all the juice?
Old 07-13-2011, 11:50 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

did you take a look at the stickies at the top of the electronics forum? This thread has a lot of info on wiring a BEC.

Definitive wiring diagrams for BECs Rx Servos Motors etc.

Basically one of the most popular methods is to wire the BEC to your battery then plug the BEC into your RX. Finally pull the red wire coming from your ESC so that the BEC is supplying power to the RX and Servo.

As for CC BEC versus BEC pro, I'd say go with the regular BEC. They are small and supply more than enough current for your situation. I have a BEC Pro in my AX-10 and it takes up too much real estate for my taste.
forbid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:54 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I must have been totally blind! I don't know why I didn't see that stickie. :/ Sorry guys. The regular BEC will work with Castle Link correct?

Btw, is that wiring method the same as the diagram on CC's website?
Old 07-13-2011, 11:55 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

yes, it will work just fine with castle link
Old 07-13-2011, 11:58 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Forbid...where are do ya live in Vancouver? Orchards? I just noticed where your location was. I live in Brush Prairie.

And thank you..
Old 07-14-2011, 12:02 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I live on the east side, basically 164th and Mill Plain. No problem, glad I could be of some help.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:08 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

some wire straight to the servo.

so the only wire going to the RX is the signal wire.... Futaba uses white. JR uses Orange. Hitec uses Yellow.

then the power (+/-) are taken straight to the servo... if you dont have a High Voltage servo... then you dont need to worry about any of this... a bec will allow the motor and servo to share the votage without robbing each other.

now.... if you do have a High Voltage servo such as Hitec's -7954SH or JRs DS8711HV then "hard" wiring the bec to the servo may be a better supply of volts. given you have the bec tuned to the 7.4v.

most RX run on 6v... thus giving your electronics a 6v current. the bec will keep the 6v while under throttle load... allowing you to go and steer into a hard line at the same time.

doing so without a bec will give you the cut out.... your ESC and motors will draw more than your servo ever can and the will give you a choppy and lack luster crawling experience.

Some speed controls, such as the Holmes Hobbies BRXL have a awesome BEC built right in. although it may not be required to run a external bec with one of the moster ESCs. it is common practice to do so.... its 30 bucks... if that holds your bar then your in the wrong hobby. lol

But in most new to crawler situations... you have saved money where you can... not going all out $1000+ crazy to see if your gonna like the hobby... so i would assume you got your hands on a very decent High Torque servo designed to run @6v giving you 300+ oz torque.

so 6v from your RX will be plenty to feed your servo.

You said you had some folks tell you to turn off the Lipo setting on your RX.... only RX's i have seen that have that kind of setting parameters are High Voltage RXs Having one of those... may eliminate you ever needing a BEC in the 1st place?? Dont quote me on that... i dont know for sure.

To wrap this lengthy reply up...

turn your RX to 6v (lipo off)
run a CC 10amp BEC (or Novak's)
plug it into your RX
Remove the Red (+ power) wire from your ESC lead that plugs into your RX

given you are NOT running a HV servo thats what i would do.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:11 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

damn i type slow.... i blame you!... you delicious Blue Moon!
Old 07-14-2011, 12:17 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Post #17 of the following thread, here Definitive wiring diagrams for BECs Rx Servos Motors etc., shows you the most common used method of wiring your CC BEC for steering servo and it will also work for a winch. The CC BEC can be run up to 10v. Most servo's use 7.4v and a winch like the 3racing version uses 7.2v. Using the CC Link is how you program the CC BEC. Not sure about the Pro.

Wiring the BEC like Castle suggests will work, but by using the BEC you bypass the power to the rx which eliminates the problem of overpowering your rx and buring it up. Of course this depends on which rx you use. I've read where some Traxxis rx's can handle up to 9.4v. HJope this helps some.
tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:20 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

http://www.pilot-rc.com/OtherProductshow.aspx?id=13

So I am running that servo. How much voltage should I set the BEC to? Or does that depend on the RX (I'm just using the 2.4ghz one that came with the RTC)?

Thanks for being patient with me everyone
Old 07-14-2011, 01:24 AM   #13
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo3244 View Post
http://www.pilot-rc.com/OtherProductshow.aspx?id=13

So I am running that servo. How much voltage should I set the BEC to? Or does that depend on the RX (I'm just using the 2.4ghz one that came with the RTC)?

Thanks for being patient with me everyone
You should run it at it's max recommended voltage. In that servos case, it is 6V. You can normally run more voltage without much problem, but you will shorten your servo's life. the main concern will be heat. It it temps out at about 120* you should be fine.

Some rx's don;t handle higher voltages though. If you spec out your rx, it should tell you it's input voltage range, if your bec is set within those specs, you should be fine. If not, you should consider wiring your bec directly to the servo.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote