Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Small HD Camcorders ... what's best?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Default Small HD Camcorders ... what's best?

I'd like a small HD camcorder I can shoot RC and other videos with. Potentially on the truck but that is not 100% necessary. So waterproofing, super smallness and ruggedness are just bonus.

I'd also like something that does well in lower light so maybe I can get some shots at night. I'm not saying zero light but at least something that can handle dusk/dawn. If it has a night vision mode ... that might be nice.

Who has what and where are your example videos?

thanks!

Last edited by Locked Up; 07-14-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I just got the GoPro Hd and love it . Still getting used to it but it is great.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VA57XC
reddevildemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Kodak Playsport is a great waterproof, HD camera.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

How do those handle low light?
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I use a GoPro Hd for on board shots, but for normal shooting I use a Vado HD. It has a wide angle lens and works great in low light. The best part is you can pick it up super cheap. The 1st gen has the best ratings and Creative Labs sells new old stock on there outlet store super cheap.

Here is a link to the outlet store. As of right now they only have a refurbished 8G one, but it is only $39.99. Keep checking back and they list more of them every once and a while. Also check ebay for them.

Here is a sample of the quality of the Vado HD...

Here is another one from the Vado HD in low light...

In this video the on board shots are from the GoPro HD and the others are from the Vado HD...
jjlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

forgot the link to the outlet store...http://us.outletstore.creative.com/c...-Video-Cam.htm
jjlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:17 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I use a GoPro HD with a headband mount for hands free filming, and onboard filming. I also have a tripod mount for it, monopod and mini tripod that I use for different shots. Low light conditions are ok, but the thing shines in daylight.

here's a video from my monopod, in a lower light situation. try watching it in HD

I am actually processing a on board and helmet cam video right now.

Last edited by LDogg; 07-14-2011 at 07:30 PM.
LDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #8
Got Worms?

I know hobbypartz has a selection of small cam corders, a couple hd ones too. Although i can't comment on quality but their sample videos have a nice picture for a pen hole camera.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #9
~THE SCALE SHOP~

patrick. remember low light/lux capibilites of a camera hugely depends on teh size of its lens.
dont buy any of those iphone looking pocket HD cameras. they all have lens smaller than a pencil eraser. be sure what you end up with has a full size lens to aid night shooting. (i had one of the kodaks)

the goPro is awesome (we have the HD surf version) but i wish it had a viewfinder for lineing up shots. but with the huge fish eye lens (like 150 degree viewing or something crazy like that) it usually will catch anything. however its (the fish eye lens) is also a double edged sword, its for close up only(i would say 10-15' max). anything not close will look even smaller and twice as far away due to the distortion.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:45 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
patrick. remember low light/lux capibilites of a camera hugely depends on teh size of its lens.
dont buy any of those iphone looking pocket HD cameras. they all have lens smaller than a pencil eraser. be sure what you end up with has a full size lens to aid night shooting. (i had one of the kodaks)

the goPro is awesome (we have the HD surf version) but i wish it had a viewfinder for lineing up shots. but with the huge fish eye lens (like 150 degree viewing or something crazy like that) it usually will catch anything. however its (the fish eye lens) is also a double edged sword, its for close up only(i would say 10-15' max). anything not close will look even smaller and twice as far away due to the distortion.
I agree a view finder would be helpful. I added the LCD to mine, and it takes care of that. it is an additional expense though...
LDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Go for the 1080 GoPro HD. Hands down the best bang for the buck option. It's built tough and tons of options to add to it if needed. Just look at GoPro's website for options, it's easy to see what is offered.

Also, remember that video will look better when displayed on a HD tv than via internet. Many folks that put up videos don't convert or properly compress or use the best format for internet viewing.

50% of this video was with RBGerrish's 1080 GoPro...

Last edited by toyofast; 07-14-2011 at 08:07 PM.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I wouldn't want to use a camera small enough to fit on the crawler for my hand held. Maybe I'm just to fat fingered. For the onboard camera I would get one of these 30fps 720p 120* view for $36 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17200
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote