Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: no forward/reverse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2011, 09:16 PM   #1

Exclamation no forward/reverse

Hey guys,
I just got the AX10 Scorpion with the AE-2 ESC and AR-2 receiver. It has been working fine since July4. TOday we drove up to Big Bear and I was hoping to do a bunch of crawling.

I charged up the battery plugged it in and...nothing. Only the steering server works. I get no forward or reverse. When it starts up there are some beeps. But I think a couple beeps are missing. It give a cascading series of beeps that decrease in frequency (like strumming your fingers down a piano), then it beeps twice, then there is a pause, then there is a single beep.

The LED lights up and then it flashes green. When I hit the throttle I get a red blinking light on the ESC. It's almost like the ESC doesn't detect the motor.

I have tried disconnecting everything and plugging it back in, but still nothing. I don't know what to do. Please help quick. There is a big ol wash behind the cabin just waiting to be crawled all over.

I am so desperate I'd almost give out my cell number...but I don't get connectivity here anyway. Fortunately the cabin has ethernet.

Thanks,

Ed
hEdly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2011, 12:05 AM   #2
I joined the Band!

never had an AE-2 but try resets it or reprogramming it, dont ask me i dont know how
crawlinnTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:54 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Try this to recalibrate your ESC:

http://docs.axialracing.com/instruct...01-ae2-esc.pdf

Sounds to me like like you need since you get red flashing lights when you give it throttle.
forbid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:23 AM   #4

Forbid,
Yeah, I tried that . When I turn on the ESC with the throttle at full I get no beeps. It doesn't seem to want to allow me to reinitialize it.

Also, I noticed that when it goes through the normal initialization, I get the red flashing red light when I go full forward, but get NO red light when going full reverse!!

I just pried the thing off the battery plate to see if there were any screws to open it up, but there doesn't seem to be any. There is a sticker, but I am hesitant to remove it in the event that Axial will warranty it.

But of course a replacement ESC (if that is the problem) won't help me this weekend.

hEdly
Old 07-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

As per the instructions listed above, did you try to reverse the throttle channel?

Also check trim setting on the throttle channel. From what you've said the radio is not at '0' (neutral) setting for the throttle channel because you should be getting the 2nd series of beeps.
SuperRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

even thou sounds like a ESC issue , does the motor even spin? Pull motor off and hook directly to battery to see if motor will spin over. Had a motor bad brushes and just had to clean it out to get them to seat and worked fine after that.
Rok Krawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:27 PM   #7

Exclamation THink I got it

Ok, so at some point today I finally to got it. I was messing around and even tried reversing the motor connection. It finally worked, but it was very jittery. It wouldn't go really slow; when I would throttle forward it would suddenly lurch at a medium-high speed. Periodically the ESC would crap out and go back through the starting diagnostics.

So I got back and even wrote support at Axial. They gave me the same "try reinitializing it" answer. But I couldn't even do that.

Finally I went out side away from the kid to really analyze. I first put swapped the motor back to its original wiring. Then I did my best to put the throttle on the remote to 0 or neutral and it finally work. I think at one point I got in to the initialization settings, but I had no directions at hand on what to do...it kept beeping like I was getting into menus, but I had no idea what to do, so I shut it off before I really messed it up. But it did eventually initialize correctly by itself. Then I ran it for about an hour in the canyon without any problems.

Man, the wash behind the cabin was pretty cool...well in my humble newbie opinion.

Anyway. As I said, it seems that the ESC is VERY sensitive to the throttle trim. I must have moved it around several times to find the sweet spot. I think I am going to put a dab of elmers glue on it so that I (or my kid) doesn't accidentally twist it.

Thanks all for your help. Tomorrow we are going up the 2N10 and I hope to find a good spot near Bluff Lake and/or Castle Rock.

I'll post a Google map of where I was.

Good Night,

hEdly
Old 07-16-2011, 12:40 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

what do you mean you swapped the motor back to its original wiring?
Rok Krawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rok Krawl View Post
what do you mean you swapped the motor back to its original wiring?
Rok,
To clarify, in the way the AX10 RTC came out of the box, the throttle switch on the AR-2 radio controller was at 'N' and when I would press on the trigger, the vehicle would go forward.

During my troubleshooting, I had disconnected the motor and then reconnected it...apparently backwards of how it came because at one point when I pressed the trigger it went in reverse. Consequently I switched the RC to the 'R' but then the vehicle was very jumpy. It seems I would definitely would have to reinitialized the ESC. But I still could not get into the initialization of the ESC because the throttle was just a little off of the neutral spot.

Y'all let me know if you have any more questions.

hEdly