Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: MOA Radio Systems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default MOA Radio Systems

So I have been trying to keep up as to all the radios out there that will work with MOA crawlers.

I was waiting to see if anyone was using the 4 channel Airtroncis M11 system as this is the radio I am very familiar with.

Just trying to see what is out there that I can use.

Now I have been following the post of the cheap radio that I believe losikid has been working with? My only concern with cheaper radios is the life of them.

Worked at my LHS for a while several years back and the cheap radios tha came with the RTR vehicles didnt last very long.

So if it holds up then I would get one.

Just like to see what works out of the box and dont have to go out and buy extra goodies just to get radio fully functional with a crawler.

Thanks all.
Rok Krawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rok Krawl View Post
So I have been trying to keep up as to all the radios out there that will work with MOA crawlers.

I was waiting to see if anyone was using the 4 channel Airtroncis M11 system as this is the radio I am very familiar with.

Just trying to see what is out there that I can use.

Now I have been following the post of the cheap radio that I believe losikid has been working with? My only concern with cheaper radios is the life of them.

Worked at my LHS for a while several years back and the cheap radios tha came with the RTR vehicles didnt last very long.

So if it holds up then I would get one.

Just like to see what works out of the box and dont have to go out and buy extra goodies just to get radio fully functional with a crawler.

Thanks all.
I'm not sure on the life of the gt3b, but if something does, if it does, go wrong its not much to replace. Plus rx's cost less than $10 each, are small, and the gt3b is the only 8 channel pistol grip you can get...now it does not "fit" the hand as well as a high dollar radio, but it's not bad. And after you break it in and stuff starts to get sloppy, its not hard to add bearings.

But as of now the most popular dual esc radio is the 4pl., but its also $200 more than the gt3b and extra's rx will stitch your pockets close.

I would say the gt3b is a good comp crawler radio, as rx's are small and light, has full mixing functionality, just lacking a little in the QC and ergo's...4pl would be great, and the 4pk is best (well unless you want to go custom)

But as a scaler radio, its the best radio. As it can handle 8 channels, small rx's, cheap to replace if they get trashed, etc.

Now i am abit bias for the cheap chinese junk, but its not junk after i'm done with it. I'm unfamiliar with the airtronics radios, but you would want a futaba or a gt3b, as harley is great at helping out with the futaba stuff, and i support the gt3b and my hack kit 100% and am always ready to help.

There is also other radios that do the job great, but it be alot hard to get help/support for them as only afew people use them.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:54 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the input. Futaba radios are nice, but never owned any of the higher end units. I will look more into your radio system. I think JeremyH is running one of these in a rig or one of his toys. I guess with 8 channels I can turn all my LED lights on and off for night crawling with an electronic device.

I will eventually get another BRXL and run dual ESC for my MOA rig. Just trying to get input on radios on how well they work with this type setup.

Not to worried about the grip on the radio. I know at one point someone got some sort of foam adhesive grip and made it fit their hand.
You send me a link to this radio you have the hack to?

Last edited by Rok Krawl; 07-16-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Rok Krawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:45 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I would have to say that the 4PL, 4PK, and the GT3B as modified by losikid seem to be the most popular. I went with the Airtronics RDS8000 Crawler and I'm enjoying it so far. Only problem I had so far is that the receiver is a bit big and completely fills the receiver box. I had to cut a hole in it to be able to plug everything into it.
JonU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:04 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

i have an m11 2.4 fhss2 and love it i use it for all my rc,s

super class hustler 4wheel steer crab and dig

2.2 custom hustler dig and winch

2.2 comp bully juice with dig

traxxas emaxx racer with lights

all this works with the push of a button just dont get any easer than that
dmgriff266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:23 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Not sure on the M11, but the MT-4 will do it just fine and will bind to all your other FHSS receivers as well.

The Futaba 4PL and 4PK radios certainly are the most promoted on this forum. I think it is because it is just generally known that these can run MOA crawlers. Most claim that it is because they are the most supported. I have mixed feelings on that. They are just not intuitive to set up and just happen to require support. The support threads generally follow this pattern for pages and pages:
  1. Baseline: Here is a template of how to set it up because you won't be able to figure it out any other way (don't get me wrong, this is a great service)
  2. Question: That looks great, but can it do this?
  3. Answer: No, just do it like the baseline template.
wantAsummit is offline   Reply With Quote