Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Bad ESC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Bad ESC?

Can a bad ESC cause high motor temps?

I have a LCC that is eating motors as quick as you can put them in, I have tried multiple different turns (19t 35t and 55t) with every different pinion that I can find, all end up with a hot motor with in a 2-3 minutes and acts like a dead battery. I have tried using a 2s (borrowed) known good and two different 3s packs, all do the same thing. Everything in the drive line is free so I don't think there is a problem there.

Also pointing me to a bad ESC is that tonight while messing around with it it went into LiPo protection when the battery was at 10.38v. Just want to make sure I am not overlooking something else.
outkast7222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2011, 11:02 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by outkast7222 View Post
Can a bad ESC cause high motor temps?

I have a LCC that is eating motors as quick as you can put them in, I have tried multiple different turns (19t 35t and 55t) with every different pinion that I can find, all end up with a hot motor with in a 2-3 minutes and acts like a dead battery. I have tried using a 2s (borrowed) known good and two different 3s packs, all do the same thing. Everything in the drive line is free so I don't think there is a problem there.

Also pointing me to a bad ESC is that tonight while messing around with it it went into LiPo protection when the battery was at 10.38v. Just want to make sure I am not overlooking something else.
What esc are you currently running?

I don't think you have a bad esc. LCC are known to eat through brushed motors do to the worm axles. most people end up running brushless in their rigs do to it being more efficient. Some run anything from a 13.5 on 2-3s to a 21.5 on 6s, it all depends on your esc/driving style.

Your battery might be at that voltage as opposed to what the cut-off is set to, do to the fact that the battery voltage dipped at or below the cut-off, then the batteries voltage rebounded or the pack recovered.

Hope this helps
ax-10 crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:13 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Currently running a Mamba Max. (Older one NOT the MMPro)

It will be going brushless soon. Actually going to a Goat 3s. Already ordered it. The problems is it ran a 19 turn with a 15 tooth pinion for quite awhile before this started happening. I at first thought it was just time for some new brushes but after doing that it was doing the same thing.

I would attribute it to the setup if I got at least a good run with it before it happened but its doing the same thing with a fully charged batter and a brand new motor.

Its just pissing me off to no end that this came about suddenly and can't figure out exactly what is going on.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:22 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Currently running a Mamba Max. (Older one NOT the MMPro)

It will be going brushless soon. Actually going to a Goat 3s. Already ordered it. The problems is it ran a 19 turn with a 15 tooth pinion for quite awhile before this started happening. I at first thought it was just time for some new brushes but after doing that it was doing the same thing.

I would attribute it to the setup if I got at least a good run with it before it happened but its doing the same thing with a fully charged batter and a brand new motor.

Its just pissing me off to no end that this came about suddenly and can't figure out exactly what is going on.
Do you have any extra drag in your driveline? have you greased your axles lately?
Old 07-18-2011, 11:25 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Also an esc wouldn't normally cause a motor to heat up in excess unless it is set for the wrong motor type.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:32 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax-10 crazy View Post
Also an esc wouldn't normally cause a motor to heat up in excess unless it is set for the wrong motor type.
This is actually what I am thinking happened since I know for fact it lost its programing because I had to go through and get rid of the 50% reverse crap after it had been setup with out it since day one. I didn't even think to look if it was in brushed or brushless mode and now I can't get into it from my computer or manual mode.

Just greased the axles a few days ago and did the tranny last night. Every thing seems to spin as smooth as butter. I can actually spin a driveshaft with no pinion and it will continue to spin freely for a few revolutions.

Really appreciate your input!!!
Old 07-18-2011, 11:39 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
This is actually what I am thinking happened since I know for fact it lost its programing because I had to go through and get rid of the 50% reverse crap after it had been setup with out it since day one. I didn't even think to look if it was in brushed or brushless mode and now I can't get into it from my computer or manual mode.

Just greased the axles a few days ago and did the tranny last night. Every thing seems to spin as smooth as butter. I can actually spin a driveshaft with no pinion and it will continue to spin freely for a few revolutions.

Really appreciate your input!!!
hmm... Sounds like you need to send that esc to castle as that doesn't sound good. Do you have the castle link or do you just plug it in to the esc itself/mini usb? I have heard that the mini usb plugs can go bad. Maybe that is the problem for hooking it up?

If you send it in to castle you could always ask to upgrade it to the mamba max pro as it has better specs and can run sensored. Just an idea
Old 07-18-2011, 11:45 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax-10 crazy View Post
hmm... Sounds like you need to send that esc to castle as that doesn't sound good. Do you have the castle link or do you just plug it in to the esc itself/mini usb? I have heard that the mini usb plugs can go bad. Maybe that is the problem for hooking it up?

If you send it in to castle you could always ask to upgrade it to the mamba max pro as it has better specs and can run sensored. Just an idea
I just use the mini usb, but that is the way the Castle Link hooks up to it also. Tried a few different cable too. I never really thought about sending it in to them but that is probably what I will do and keep the replacement as a back-up for the new motor. Any clue what they charge to upgrade?
Old 07-18-2011, 11:52 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I just use the mini usb, but that is the way the Castle Link hooks up to it also. Tried a few different cable too. I never really thought about sending it in to them but that is probably what I will do and keep the replacement as a back-up for the new motor. Any clue what they charge to upgrade?
Do you have the link chip that goes from the receiver lead to mini usb?

Like this

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rammer-Adapter

I don't have any clue on what it will cost but you could send them an email to find out
Old 07-19-2011, 12:03 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

No i just use the usb port on the back of it.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:11 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
No i just use the usb port on the back of it.
Maybe you could borrow one from someone or go to your lhs and try to use one and see if it lets you connect it to the computer like that.