Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Rc4wd Bulldog 9300xt Scale Winch PROBLEM!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2011, 09:38 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Rc4wd Bulldog 9300xt Scale Winch PROBLEM!

Hi I'm new to this forum, so i'm not sure if this threat has been posted already. I have an axial scx10 with all traxxas electronics (2.4 GHz, XL-5 esc, etc.) I've been through 3 rc4wd 9300xt winches (not wireless). The problem that I had with them is that the winch itself would vibrate when in the neutral postition. When I would flip the switch eigther spool in/out , the winch would work fine. I tried adjusting the red skrew on the circuit board, but that did not work. After a minute or so of being on, I could feel the circuit board getting warm. I have the reciever plug that is connected to the winch's circuit board plugged into the 3-channel. I am running my winch through the power of the reciever. My truck runs with a Traxxas 7-cell battery.

I have already sent back 1 of the winches to rc4wd and got another winch with the same problem. I told them that I had the same problem and they sent back another one.

So I'm wondering if any of you guys could tell me what i'm doing wrong or would you guys would recommend to do.
raiders32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiders32 View Post
Hi I'm new to this forum, so i'm not sure if this threat has been posted already. I have an axial scx10 with all traxxas electronics (2.4 GHz, XL-5 esc, etc.) I've been through 3 rc4wd 9300xt winches (not wireless). The problem that I had with them is that the winch itself would vibrate when in the neutral postition. When I would flip the switch eigther spool in/out , the winch would work fine. I tried adjusting the red skrew on the circuit board, but that did not work. After a minute or so of being on, I could feel the circuit board getting warm. I have the reciever plug that is connected to the winch's circuit board plugged into the 3-channel. I am running my winch through the power of the reciever. My truck runs with a Traxxas 7-cell battery.

I have already sent back 1 of the winches to rc4wd and got another winch with the same problem. I told them that I had the same problem and they sent back another one.

So I'm wondering if any of you guys could tell me what i'm doing wrong or would you guys would recommend to do.
if i was you i'd run the winch thru a bec at 6v i have the same winch and run it off of 3s and my bec set at 6v or 7.4 and have never had any trouble..dont that 7cell put out 8.4v i believe thats right, but ive heard of people running a winch at 9v and not any trouble..
j-bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:14 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-bird View Post
if i was you i'd run the winch thru a bec at 6v i have the same winch and run it off of 3s and my bec set at 6v or 7.4 and have never had any trouble..dont that 7cell put out 8.4v i believe thats right, but ive heard of people running a winch at 9v and not any trouble..
How do I connect the bec in my truck. If someone could tell me how or if someone could give me a wiring diagram that would be great. Also what bec manufacturer would you guys recommend.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:17 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Most of us use the Castle Creations 10A BEC. There are a few diagrams on how to wire it up, check the stickies at the top of this forum.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:17 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I just want to let you know that I make a replacement winch controller that will work fine when powered from your receiver:
Winch Controller for Radio with Three Position Channel

If you end up needing an external BEC, just connect as shown in the Castle Creations drawing.

Last edited by heyok; 07-21-2011 at 07:21 AM.
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Rc4wd Bulldog 9300xt Scale Winch PROBLEM!

The issue is not with the winch. IT is the fact that on the traxxas transmitter the 3 position switch is actually for 2 different channels, 4 and 5. So when the switch is in 2 positions it is pulling, and one position is extending or releasing the line. I have the same issue and was trying to figure out how I will fix this. If you have figured it out let me know please.
OllllO Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:03 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

I still have not figure it out yet. Instead i got a 3racing winch. But I want to get the bulldog 9300xt winch working for my brother's truck.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllllO Fanatic View Post
The issue is not with the winch. IT is the fact that on the traxxas transmitter the 3 position switch is actually for 2 different channels, 4 and 5. So when the switch is in 2 positions it is pulling, and one position is extending or releasing the line. I have the same issue and was trying to figure out how I will fix this. If you have figured it out let me know please.
If your radio system only has a two position channel for running your winch, you can use this controller to operate it:
Winch Controller for Radio with 2 Position Third Channel

There is a youtube video in the first post of that thread that shows how it works.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-bird View Post
He said he's using the Traxxas receiver and ESC so regardless of what battery he is using the voltage going to the servo and winch is the same, whatever the output of the ESC's BEC is whether it's 5V or 6V. I doubt the ESC passes along the full main battery voltage.

You can buy Heyok's controller or do what I did for $1.00 and that is to place an inline switch going to the winch that way it isn't drawing any power when idle. I only need to turn on the winch when I need it and it's off the 99.9% of the time I use the scaler. I control the winch with my radio to feed and retrieve line.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:50 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiders32 View Post
I still have not figure it out yet. Instead i got a 3racing winch. But I want to get the bulldog 9300xt winch working for my brother's truck.
So does the 3racing winch work with your traxxas rx? Or is it having the same problem. I am also running traxxas rx/ tx and cannot use the third switch due to it not working. Again it is 2 different channels connected to the same switch so that is probably the issue. I have dismantled a 4 channel traxxas receiver and that is what I found, not to mention read a lot in the traxxas manual.
OllllO Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:58 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

raider i have the same problem and after a few emails sent to rc4wd with them telling me that my winch controller is out of adjustment i gave up and have a winch controller on stand by with heyok im glad i came across this and now they know at rc4wd im not the only one sad part is i got mine over a month ago and still cant use it really hesitant about getting another for the wraith at this point .keep us posted on how you make out
snohiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:38 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

The winch is still sitting on the shelf. The only thing I did to it was take the meatal winch line/hook out and put it into my 3racing winch. It looks more scale and is working flawlessly after changing the wiring in my controller.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I just picked up a used Rc4wd winch and I am having the same problem.

Seems to do it worse after going out than in.

After a while it does stop. It is like a servo that is having problems finding "center"
trailduster79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

If you can do it, give one of my controllers a try! I think you will find it fixes you right up.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:40 PM   #15

the stock rc4wd controller boards are garbage. the winch will chatter away. they are not 100% centered. i made a winch controller out of a old servo and problem solved. winch works fine.
heyok controllers are the same thing. smaller than the rc4wd one and work better too.
DGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGuy View Post
the stock rc4wd controller boards are garbage. the winch will chatter away. they are not 100% centered. i made a winch controller out of a old servo and problem solved. winch works fine.
heyok controllers are the same thing. smaller than the rc4wd one and work better too.
don't know if you figured it out yet but epa settings is the problem play with those on your third channel if your transmitter can, if not rc4wd volts universal epa module will work,
rockcrusher666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:53 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
If you can do it, give one of my controllers a try! I think you will find it fixes you right up.
DO THIS!! Saves a lot of headaches
dc6287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcrusher666 View Post
don't know if you figured it out yet but epa settings is the problem play with those on your third channel if your transmitter can, if not rc4wd volts universal epa module will work,
All I can say is good job...

You did some serious searching for your first post

For those that don't understand these controllers, go HeyOK you just can't beat the simplicity. Or nut up with servo based winches
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bulldog 9300xt winch, rc4wd, winch