Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Safe time for charged Lipo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 06:54 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Safe time for charged Lipo?

What is a safe amount of time to have a Lipo battery charged or discharged, considering either is at the correct voltage?
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I'm unsure exactly what your asking. Are you asking how long you can store a fully charged or discharged battery? Typically you wouldn't want to store a fully charged lipo for more than a few days, same for a discharged lipo, most chargers have a storage function that will charge or discharge the battery to a predetermined level for prolonged storage periods.
day215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
Proverbial threadkiller

If you're asking how long it can charge before you really need to think about pulling it off, not sure, I've always let the charger handle it. I know the amperage does fall off at the end of charging, but I would still think if you're set up to charge a 3000 mAh battery at 3 amps (1C), it should still be about 60-75 minutes, give or take. I've always let the charger handle it and never had a problem.

(Obligatory safety warning) Just take the normal precautions of using a charging sack, and have a fire extinguisher somewhere in the area.

For time to discharge, this is why I like LVA's. I just plug mine into the balance port, and let 'er go, stop it when the LVA flashes. My discharge rig only draws somewhere around 10ish amps. I've never timed how long it takes to discharge my batteries, though. Sorry, can't help ya there.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Sorry, perhaps I should have been more clear. Apparently the aluminum foil cap worked and you couldn't read my mind.

Yes, my question is how long can one store a battery that is @ 4.2 Volts/cell and similarly @ 3.2 Volts/cell.
My charger (Duratrax Onyx 235) doesn't have a storage option but I set a profile for about 40% Mah and it gets me close enough.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
Suck it up!

Try not to let them set fully charged or discharged for more than a few days. They should be stored at roughly 50%.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

does anyone know exactly why this is? and there must be a limit to to how long one can store them at half charge?

thanks, just curious

Last edited by jaytet; 07-21-2011 at 03:36 PM.
jaytet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:37 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Not sure about the science behind why they should be stored at partial capacity. But I'm sure there are lipos in a Chinese warehouse somewhere, that haven't gone and won't be going anywhere for a long time .
day215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Also just FYI, storage temp matters somewhat too. I store my lipos at 40-50% and in the fridge. You can freeze them, but then you must properly thaw them. Don't charge a real cold batt. I heard of someone getting like 100 charges by always charging his lipo fresh out of the fridge. There is a lot of information, on this site and outside of it, on lipo battery use and storage. I think the people that fly with them work harder at getting every mah out of their batts....
RCram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:31 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCram View Post
Also just FYI, storage temp matters somewhat too. I store my lipos at 40-50% and in the fridge. You can freeze them, but then you must properly thaw them. Don't charge a real cold batt. ........

+1

If I know that my batts will not be used for a couple weeks or more, they go in a ziplock bag in the fridge. I've had batts in there for a year or more, and they still work great (after warming to room temp and charging). Cold temps slow down chemical reactions, so fewer bad things can happen. I wouldn't recommend freezing, and don't charge while cold.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote