Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: MOA power loss issues. I am stumped.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default MOA power loss issues. I am stumped.

I need some help. I am at the end of my rope and deailing with electronic issues is my weak point. I am loosing my power to my front motor. When I turn it almost goes into dig mode.

Here is my setup. Berg. Duel mamba micro's. Brood 35ts. CCBEC. Futaba 4pl with the right firmware. I think. I know it is not the motors. I just had them rebuilt (by EddieO). I did rebuild my axles and I don't think it is binding. I have checked my castlelink and I am pretty sure all is fine. I have re-calibrated several times, all with both escs together and I don't think that is it. I am going to check my wiring tomorrow as it would appear I am not getting full power to the front motor. I have both esc's soldered at the deans connection with the bec wired at the bec connetion as well. I have tried to keep the power leads the same length. I am worried about a loose connecton somehow. Any other ideas of anything similar.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
"HOLLYWOOD"

Take a step back and breath lol. Dbl check all the wires make sure when you turn something is coming loose or pulling on a wire. Check the volt on your BEC make sure you got enough volt. Also check that the 2 ecs have same updated software. And also check your sodering could be loose. Hope this helps
Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Thanks I will be digging into this more tomorrow. I will check everything you suggested before getting into to much wiring. Come to think of it though, I did notice that under any load whether turning or not the front end just does not have enough gettrdun. I will keep everyone up to speed.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Thanks I will be digging into this more tomorrow. I will check everything you suggested before getting into to much wiring. Come to think of it though, I did notice that under any load whether turning or not the front end just does not have enough gettrdun. I will keep everyone up to speed.
Is your front axle binding at full lock? What are you running for your front axles? Dog bones? Cvd's?
ax-10 crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:01 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Try flopping stuff around....swap the motors....see if the problem moves. Swap the ESC....see if the problem moves. Swap channels....etc.

You may find you locate your problem quickly. Remember though, one change at a time.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:33 PM   #6
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
Try flopping stuff around....swap the motors....see if the problem moves. Swap the ESC....see if the problem moves. Swap channels....etc.

You may find you locate your problem quickly. Remember though, one change at a time.

Later EddieO
That's an easy way to troubleshoot it

I would just leave everything where it is, and if your wiring allows for it (since you tried to keep everything equal length) to just plug the motors into the other's esc (I.e: front motor/rear esc & rear motor/front esc). If the rear motor starts having lack of power, the problem is in the front esc or wiring. If not, then check the front motor for a hung brush or cold solder joint, binding in the front axle (especially when at full lock like previously mentioned).

Also, is the BEC wired directly to the servo? What voltage is the BEC set at? What's the rx's operating voltage? Did you change anything prior to having this problem?
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I am running super 300s and while I am at it I will double check to make sure the front axle is not the issue. I drive it straight into our steps last night witout turning and it stopped the front axle. One thing is for darn sure and it is that EddieO's motors are in perfect shape after his rebuild so I know it is either.

Calibration
Castle Link Settings
Binding axle.
ESC wiring.

Outside of that I am at a loss.

I will post back tonight as I plan to get into it a bit today.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I recon the problem is between the esc and the motor.

If the lights are still on in the MM's when this happens then you have a dry solder joint on the motor wires, a hung brush or dirt between your brush and comm. If the lights go out on the esc then it could be a faulty or burned up esc.

I'm no doubting EddieO's workmanship but dont count out the motor as being at fault until you've thoroughly check it. Its been known to happen with new or rebuilt motors.
SuperRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I switched to motors after the rebuild so I am convinced that it ain't the motors.

What is a dry soldier?
Old 07-23-2011, 04:47 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Dry solder is a term for a bad solder joint, which I can promise isn't an issue on anything I soldered!

Hung brushes happen, but if this problem was there before I rebuilt them, I doubt a hung brush would be an issue again.

The only thing it could be on the motors is a stalled armature. Stalled arms can't really be tested for on the work bench by us motor guys. 9 times out of 10, the motor just needs a rebuild....but sometimes, even though it all looks fine on the bench once in the truck, it appears again.

Swap the motors front and rear....if problem stays in the front....motors are NOT the problem. This will tell you if a stalled arm is occuring....

A stalled arm can be fixed one way.....a new one.

Continue down the list like I put, you will find your problem.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Rick, I've been dealing with a similar issue, except I'm running dual sidewinders, HH 35Ts, and a wantasummit dx3e.

I'm gonna be doing a complete teardown starting tomorrow, I'll let you know if I manage to come up with a solution, maybe it'll help you out.
version_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I had a similar problem. Anytime my steering was bound up the front motor and esc shut down. It ended up being the BEC for me. In addition to what has already been said, have you tried calibrating each esc separately?
JonU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:55 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Here is why I know it is not the motors. I got a matched set of motors from Eddie and for about 6 months I was running the front motor on the rear. The truck ran like a champ anyway. Well my stall issue was, I thought, due to a slightly worn comm etc. Eddie was kind enough to point out I had them in my truck wrong while rebuilding. So when I got them back the rear motor went in the front and ..... Hooked the tuck back up and the same problem.

BEC. I was wondering about that. I am wired directly off the battery leads to the Servo. I was wondering if here is a chance something within the BEC might be pulling to much on the battery. I will add that to the list of maybe's. I do know the front axle does not have any binding. The motors re good. Now it is down to a wiring issue or simply the bec.

Last edited by RickM; 07-23-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Alright. I just got everything buttoned back up and it looks as if I was having issues with the solder joint. I hav enot run it outside though. We shall see.