Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Brand new LRP Brushless motor locked up?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Brand new LRP Brushless motor locked up?

I've put a half of a pack in this Brand New LRP 10.5t Brushless motor and its locked up? Is there anyway to fix it? I called LRP and they werent in business hours. Im just looking to figure out how to fix this motor. Its screaching, and it just moves about a quarter of turn and makes a horrible sound and thats all it will move? Im pretty frustrated with this thing.
country_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Double check the sensor cable is connected properly.
Stregone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:25 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by country_crawler View Post
I've put a half of a pack in this Brand New LRP 10.5t Brushless motor and its locked up? Is there anyway to fix it? I called LRP and they werent in business hours. Im just looking to figure out how to fix this motor. Its screaching, and it just moves about a quarter of turn and makes a horrible sound and thats all it will move? Im pretty frustrated with this thing.
Open it up to see if the rotor has broken or has become unglued. Or like previously mentioned check your sensor cable an wires, also your esc settings depending on esc.
ax-10 crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:52 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax-10 crazy View Post
Open it up to see if the rotor has broken or has become unglued. Or like previously mentioned check your sensor cable an wires, also your esc settings depending on esc.
+1, pull the rotor to see if it looks OK.
Just so you know, it is bad for BL motors to run with no load and full power, they tend to come apart internally.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Im new to brushless motors this was my very first. What exactly is the rotor? I took The top off and it was like a little computer in there or something and I couldn't figure out how to get it off?

Before it took a dump it was "jumpy" and wouldn't run wide open and you could hold it for a little while and it would kick in full speed and then stop again and continue to be slow and jumpy?
Old 07-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Did you calibrate the ESC to the RX?
The "rotor" is the spinning part inside the motor that has the shaft the pinion gear is attached to.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:53 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Did you calibrate the ESC to the RX?
The "rotor" is the spinning part inside the motor that has the shaft the pinion gear is attached to.
The ESC was already calibrated. Its a new side winder SV2. I just plugged it up to the castle link, and programmed it to brushless, hooked the motor up and it ran great! For about 10 minutes. Then It went down the drain and acted like I said before.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
Defy Gravity

have you checked the bearings? may be shot. also, the sv2 is sensorless, going to cog.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The ESC was already calibrated. Its a new side winder SV2. I just plugged it up to the castle link, and programmed it to brushless, hooked the motor up and it ran great! For about 10 minutes. Then It went down the drain and acted like I said before.
Ummm....maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but programming with a Castle Link is NOT the same as calibrating the ESC to the RX.

Did you pull the rotor to see if it looks OK??

Did you pull the motor to see if the axle is locked or something in the pinion/spur mesh??

Just trying to help, not chastize.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Ummm....maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but programming with a Castle Link is NOT the same as calibrating the ESC to the RX.

Did you pull the rotor to see if it looks OK??

Did you pull the motor to see if the axle is locked or something in the pinion/spur mesh??

Just trying to help, not chastize.
The ESC seems to be calibrated. It worked great for a little while, and still makes all of its beeps indicating its ready to go. You can give the motor throttle and it screeches and barely spins.

I havent pulled the rotor yet, because Im new to all this Electric motor stuff. How exactly do I pull it out? Will it just pull straight out once I take the top off?

I pulled the motor, everything in my drivetrain is in good working condition. Axles, Transmission, everything.

I just can't seem to figure this out.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:02 AM   #11
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
The ESC seems to be calibrated.
"Seems to be"?

Did you set your radio's throttle trim to center/zero?
Did you set your radio's throttle EPAs to 100%? (if you have them)
Did you go through and do the full throttle, reverse, neutral thing? (or whichever order your manual calls for)
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:13 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

You said it worked for 10 minutes and then died. You also mentioned you are new to the electric stuff. It may be too simple but are you sure the battery is charged? A low battery pack will many times allow steering to work but not the motor.
The ESC may have the low voltage cutoff kicking in. What type of battery are you using and what is the ESC LVC set to?
ThunderVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:25 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderVP View Post
You said it worked for 10 minutes and then died. You also mentioned you are new to the electric stuff. It may be too simple but are you sure the battery is charged? A low battery pack will many times allow steering to work but not the motor.
The ESC may have the low voltage cutoff kicking in. What type of battery are you using and what is the ESC LVC set to?
The battery is charged. Everything is fine with the ESC, its the motor. Its locked up it will not turn, I just need to know how to get it apart. Theres something Rattling inside it. I need to know howto get the "computer" thing off so I can get inside the motor.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:44 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I just looked at LRP's website, found the manuals to the 3 brushless motors(10.5) that they show, looked at the manuals and they either show an exploded view and/or give you step by step process to dis-assembly of motors.

Have you looked at the manual yet?

Here's the 3 I found....
http://www.lrp.cc/en/service/manuals/?srch=10.5
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:08 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
I just looked at LRP's website, found the manuals to the 3 brushless motors(10.5) that they show, looked at the manuals and they either show an exploded view and/or give you step by step process to dis-assembly of motors.

Have you looked at the manual yet?

Here's the 3 I found....
http://www.lrp.cc/en/service/manuals/?srch=10.5
Thanks toyofast, but Mines the LRP Eraser motor. Not any of those there was 1 that looked smiliar and that was the 3rd one.

I looked at the manual it came with and it has nothing in it about disassembly of the motor?
Old 07-28-2011, 10:35 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Might be out of luck. LRP makes that one sound like it's designed not to be opened up.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:32 AM   #17
RCC Addict

you need to desolder the plate

i think there is apiece of something between rotor and stator
or the mag is cracked
EGRESSor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:38 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
Might be out of luck. LRP makes that one sound like it's designed not to be opened up.
Its got the little cap that has the 3 screws to get the cap off so It has to be able to be opened up? I just can't figure out how to the little "computer" thing off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGRESSor View Post
you need to desolder the plate

i think there is apiece of something between rotor and stator
or the mag is cracked
Thanks dude I'll try that, or atleast post pictures up of what I've gotten done and what I can't figure out how to do.