Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Ran a GensAce lipo flat, still working fine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Ran a GensAce lipo flat, still working fine.

A big Phew

Ran my slash until it wouldn't go any more yesterday, expecting the lipo cut-off to shut it down when needed.
After the rig wouldn't move any more I went to pop the battery out and noticed it was warmer than usual, so I checked the LVC and sure enough, I had forgotten that I had turned it off.
No signs of puffing, melted wires or connections, or any other issues, and it was only warm not hot, so I stuck it in my ammo can and brought it home. Double checked it again at home and still didn't see any issues, so I put it on a 1 amp charge and waited to see what it did. It took a full charge and came out balanced (I didn't balance charge it), so I ran it and then balanced charged it and it seems perfectly fine.
I know that I may have just gotten lucky, but I have read other stories that indicate that of the cheap brand Lipos the GensAce are one of the best so I thought I would add my story to the collection.

Note to self - check LVC

Note to self - check LVC

Note to self - check LVC

Note to self - check LVC

Note to self - check LVC

Note to self - check LVC
Mud Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2011, 06:17 AM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

When you catch them quick and don't let is sit dead there is generally little damage. The newest packs are much more robust than the packs of even 2 years ago. Do that to a 15c cell and it would certainly puff up.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:57 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
When you catch them quick and don't let is sit dead there is generally little damage. The newest packs are much more robust than the packs of even 2 years ago. Do that to a 15c cell and it would certainly puff up.
+1.

Just because you didn't have an issue this time won't mean you'll be so lucky next time.
LiPO's are not good to mess with, they can be a bit cranky when abused. Much more than the older NiCad/NiMH were.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

I have 6 gens ace 1300 mAh 3s lipos i run in my crawler and i have not had a single problem yet...they are a good battery that doesnt cost much. the 1300 3s are like $12
CrawlerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I did the same thing to my gens ace 2400mah stick pack lipo. Used it in my F1 car with an old novak dually esc and silver can. No LVC of course. LVC wouldn't be necessary because I was only running it in 6 min races, which drained ~1500mah from the pack. It wasn't a problem until I forgot to charge the pack between heats. Ran it down until the car almost stopped. Charged it back up and it works fine.
Stregone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #6
Got Worms?

I haven't had any over discharge problems, but Gens Ace packs have been great for me. And provide alot more power than any other lipo i've ran (alot of cheap packs, and some brand names)
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote