Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Novak Ballistic timing: what do you run?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Novak Ballistic timing: what do you run?

I am trying to find what timing to run my Ballistic 21.5 at (spec version, not crawler, but does have 14mm rotor). I just replaced the stator because the other one fried (first time I bench tested it, not even driving any axles/wheels, testing low speed operation just driving Axial trans). I had the timing set very low, at like 3 degrees maybe, just above 0 because I thought that was what a crawler setup was supposed to be. After it fried I found Novak doesn't recommend anything less than 5 degrees.

So was having the timing so low likely the cause of it frying? Should I keep it at more like 15 degrees? (lowest mark on timing sticker)

What are you other guys running your Ballistics at? What are the crawler version Ballistics set at from the factory? (Spec Ballistic is 30 degrees)
simplechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Mine is set at the stock 30 degree mark. That is what Novak sets them at from the factory and is working just fine for me. This is on a Ballistic Crawler 18.5t motor though but I don't see why it would be any different.
outkast7222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

mine is also set at stock... but i have a 18.5. I decided to leave it there and if i "tune it up" i'll do it by advancing through the ESC (CC mamba max pro 1cell). I tried what erik delux was running and advanced the timing through the ESC and it ran like "a bat out of hell"! BUT, it will get hot and you can only run it short times without installing a fan on the motor.... so now it's back to stock and runs just fine on 3s and 4s.
concretejungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

OK I think I'll leave it at stock or like 20-25 degrees. I'm definitely not looking to advance it past 30. I'm more wondering how low is safe to go. I'm not sure if me putting the timing that low with the first stator was the cause of frying the motor or not. I wanted the torque to be high as possible, and to me that has always meant low or no timing, but maybe Novaks don't like that.
simplechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Brushless motors don't like no, or very low timing. I'd keep it above 15 degrees. With the high gear ratios crawlers run you may get more power with higher than usual timing. I haven't had a chance to experiment with that yet though.
Stregone is offline   Reply With Quote