Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: li-po and brushed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 12:36 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default li-po and brushed

Ok so I have never ran lipo batteries but I am becoming interested in them. My question is what kinda run time difference can I expect running a 45 turn integy. My esc is a castle sidewinder, kinda want the most volts and run time possible. And is it worth it to run lipo on a brushed motor?
EMUTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2011, 05:19 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMUTT View Post
And is it worth it to run lipo on a brushed motor?
That is about all we run in our house, 2S LiPO on the MRC's and 3S LiPO on everything else.
All but 1 are brushed motors.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:46 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

How's your run times? And do you have a battery and charger in mind?
Old 08-05-2011, 06:11 AM   #4
RCC Addict

The answer will depend on the battery size (capacity not voltage) and how you drive. It can be anywhere from 5 minutes to over an hour.

Typically most of us in our club use 800mah 3 cell Lipos and get maybe 10 - 15 minutes but then we use these for competitions and those need to last only for 6 minutes.

Some of the scale guys have 3,000 + mah packs in their rigs and can go for 45 minutes or more.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:45 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Yeah this will be going into a scale/trail truck. So just as with nimh Batts the more mah the longer the run time? And the 2/3s is how many separate cells are in the pack? My esc says it can handle 3s 15 volts, any suggestions on a good battery and charger?
Old 08-05-2011, 07:29 AM   #6
Proverbial threadkiller

I got my Onyx 230 charger from a 'scratch-n-dent' bin (no instructions), so for what I paid for it, I'm happy enough. But the 235's got the built-in balancer, so why wouldn't you go for that one?

If you're just looking for dirt cheap, though, Hobbyking has got some super cheap chargers.

My problem is that I like huge mAh packs, (mine are 6000 mAh SMC's), plus I wanted to go LiFe (supposedly they can be recharged at higher amp rates), so I'm in a position of wanting a charger with a lot more amps available, which equates to quite a bit of money. But if you're willing to keep your tastes in packs somewhat moderate, you can get by with a reasonably priced charger.

Just be sure to get (and use) a charging sack.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:37 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

probably the best value in chargers is the Thunder AC6:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

Also take a look at their Gens Ace line of batteries, I personally use geforce batteries from value hobby.
forbid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:43 AM   #8
RCC Addict

i run a 3s 2200ma in my scaler and get about 45min of solid run time. i use the AC6 charger, had it for almost a year and its been very reliable. cant beat it for 35 bucks
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:18 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

So with the Ac6 do I need to have a balancer? And what exactly does the balancer do?
Old 08-05-2011, 08:42 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

The AC6 comes with a 2-6s balancing port.
chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

a balancer does what the name implies, it balances the voltage in each lipo cell so when fully charged they all have 4.2v. with lipo you do Not want the cells to go below 3v or over 4.2v each otherwise damage may occur or its overall life will decrease. but with a good esc (like your sidewinder) and a charger with balancer you should be fine.
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:11 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

That's a smokin deal for that charger,I paid 70 minus shipping for the cheapbatterypack.com version of the AC6,wish I would hag seen that one.
Mr. crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:41 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Ok so Ac6 for a charger got it. Now I have heard you get what you pay for when it comes to li-po batteries so what is a good brand to start off with? And do I need a case for the batteries? Also are li-po batteries lighter than nimh? Say a 3s to a 8 cell sudc pack? And what's the max voltage I can get in a 3s my esc can handle 15 volts it says.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:41 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
How's your run times? And do you have a battery and charger in mind?
We basically only comp & practice for comps.
For our 2.2 Bully MOA rigs, we run ~1350mah 3S packs and get 15 minutes or so running depending on what we are doing.
Some want to go smaller on mah so the pack is smaller & easier to fit in a comp rig, also weight is a bigger concern (as well as where it is placed for CG). I prefer to have a little more capacity so if the run times drop with age, I still have enough for 1-2 comp courses on a single pack.
I also only use packs from CheapBatteryPacks, price is decent, CS is great and I have never had an issue in many years of dealing with them.
As to chargers, there are many choices. Biggest is that they balance charge and they can do what you need.
We, my son & I, only use Venom ProChargers, never had an issue with them. They also allow me to charge off a wall outlet @ home & a 12VDC battery in the field.

Batteries & chargers have lots of options for brands & prices, each buyer has their own preferences. You can search out reviews of brands/vendors on this forum to make your decision.
I have my preferences, yours may be different but just as good.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:43 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ok so Ac6 for a charger got it. Now I have heard you get what you pay for when it comes to li-po batteries so what is a good brand to start off with? And do I need a case for the batteries? Also are li-po batteries lighter than nimh? Say a 3s to a 8 cell sudc pack? And what's the max voltage I can get in a 3s my esc can handle 15 volts it says.
LiPO batteries (non-hard case ones) weigh almost nothing compared to their voltage & capacity. Lots less than a NiCAD/NiMH would.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Ok so are there any water issues with li-pos? My truck will be seeing water for sure