Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Lights ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #1

Default Lights ?

Got my led lights strip in today , my question is where would I hook up the 2 wires so it comes on when I turn truck on , would I tap into wires coming from on/off switch ? Thanks
saddlehorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

You better hold off a minute and do some research or else you are going to risk burning the LEDs out. First, what LED strip do you have? Does it have resistors built in to limit the current?
forbid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #3

Yes the resistors are built in . I got them from hobbypartz.com that I will never order from again , only get half your order and they ignore you .
Old 08-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Well according to hobbypartz they are designed to run on 12V, I found this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1448353

According to that guy's results they operate well between 9-12V and are pretty dim at 7V. So my next question would be what battery are you planning to use? If you are using a 3S lipo it would be just about perfect. As far as wiring I would solder a servo plug on them and plug it into an empty slot on your receiver. Or you could wire it directly to your battery.

edit: Just found this site, it seems to have a lot of good information about these strips:

http://www.hoverandsmile.com/led-cir...ed-strip-kits/

Last edited by forbid89; 08-06-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:04 PM   #5

The servo plug is good idea , but I am not using a lipo pack , just a 6 cell 3000 nimh pack in the crawler . The hobby shop guy said unless I went brushless not to go lipo it would hurt my esc .
Anyways I plugged lights straight to battery and they worked until you make the truck go then the lights shut off , oh well only $3 wasted that I guess I can't use .
Thought about using a AA battery pack box off another project to power them but not to sure that would work either .

Thanks for the info....
Old 08-06-2011, 11:21 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

You could always get a small 3S lipo and use it to power just the LEDs. I know you don't like Hobbypartz but I'd give them another chance you could get one of their small 3S 800mah sky lipos for $5.20. AA's batteries would work but you would need at least 6 better yet 8 to get the voltage you need. The small 3S lipo would be much better.

Out of curiosity what ESC are you using?
Old 08-07-2011, 12:11 AM   #7
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlehorse View Post
The servo plug is good idea , but I am not using a lipo pack , just a 6 cell 3000 nimh pack in the crawler . The hobby shop guy said unless I went brushless not to go lipo it would hurt my esc .

Go give your lbs guy the he was probably just trying to get them nihm s off his shelf.
What esc are you using...any esc will allow a lipo, its just a battery, but what you want is a esc with lipo cut off. Most newer esc's have it. This is to protect your lipo.

Nihms are not ideal for anything that requires power, and crawlers love power
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:17 AM   #8

I have a 500mah 3S pack plugged directly into the LED's... dirt cheap and have had no problems. SUPER long run time... think I've gone through 3-4 cycles on the main batt without recharging the LED batt.
salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:26 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post

Go give your lbs guy the he was probably just trying to get them nihm s off his shelf.
When I picked up new packs my LHS guy also tried insisting on a 10 cell NiMh 5000mAh(?) battery for my Comp Crawler. Insisted that's what I was gonna need to get 20 minutes out of it. Not sure where in the hell I would have put the thing in the first place. Bet he would feel like an idiot knowing that I get close to 45 mins out a 1350 3s LiPo.

In anycase I would hook my lights directly at the battery plug if they are indeed safe up to 12v. I use LiPo's and some nice bright LEDs would be a good reminder to unplug my battery when not in use.
outkast7222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:30 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlehorse View Post
Anyways I plugged lights straight to battery and they worked until you make the truck go then the lights shut off , oh well only $3 wasted that I guess I can't use .
Thought about using a AA battery pack box off another project to power them but not to sure that would work either .

Thanks for the info....
When you let off the throttle, did the lights come back on? My guess is "yes", thus when you load the battery, it drops the voltage enough to shut off the lights.
Why not just use a 9volt battery for the lights? Small & cheap.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote