Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Comm lathe power supply question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 12:01 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Comm lathe power supply question

I just bought a hudy special comm lathe and was wondering if anyone new the minimum amperage needed to run the lathe motor. I have a 14 volt 3 amp power supply that I was going to use and attatch a potentiometer in line with the power leads and feed the comm motor 4-6volts. I just don't know what kind of amperage the motor requires to make it run the lathe. If anyone has any insight to this, im all ears. I know nimh batts are a good choice as the power supply but I would like to be able to play around with the speed and not have to charge batteries.
Thanks Josh.
Chevdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I'm not sure how many amps a motor like that requires. An educated guess would be 4-8 amps at 6 volts.

You would burn up the pot in that fashion.

If you want variable speed I suggest hooking up the motor to an ESC and setting the throttle trim to the desired speed.
HndsWthtShdws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
RCC Addict

A 3 amp power supply isn't going to cut it. I've had motors pull more amps than that during break-in... I saw a 30a bull dog power supply in the for sale section today for $38. As far as varying the voltage goes, look for a charger with a motor run function. Lots of older chargers like the Ice have that feature and can be had on the cheap too. That way you can run your lathe at whatever voltage you need, and use it to break the motors in after you get the motors rebuilt. That power supply isn't by chance a power supply for a tattoo machine is it? I just fixed a OG 14v 3a supply for a tattoo artist buddy today...

EDIT: I meant to mention that you don't need a "minimum amperage" to run your lathe... you need a power supply that can cope with the amp draw of the motor you use. The 30a I mentioned is a good choice because it should be able to handle just about any crawler motor you can throw at it. Plus, you can run your lathe and charge using multiple chargers off a 30a supply all day long.

Last edited by killswitch; 08-16-2011 at 10:50 PM.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:58 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

For what its worth:

My 30 amp power supply cost me about $45 new. Its got multiple 12v jacks, a 5v jack for testing radio equip or breaking in motors, and a 3.3v jack.

Its a computer ATX power supply with a bit of simple modding. Lots of instructions and how to's on the web. A good power supply is invaluable. Now might be a good excuse to build one.
HndsWthtShdws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:59 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for all the replies. I wasn't sure what kind of amperage draw a 540 motor takes, but I thought it was worth asking. I too thought 3 amps was a little weak but I just bought this 3 amp power supply for a project at work and was hoping I could use it for my self as well. I'll keep my eye out for something with a little more amperage or just use 4 cell nimh packs to run the lathe.
Chevdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The Hudy manual states 4.8VDC (qty-4 NiCad/NiMH cells) @ 5Amps for a supply.....minimum.
You can NEVER have too many amps as a supply, the load (motor in this case) will only pull what is needed.

Hudy manual here.... http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...0&kategoria=61
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote