Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: stock Wraith ESC steering but no throttle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 04:22 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default stock Wraith ESC steering but no throttle

I thought I've seen a discussion on here before but now I can't find it. I was running my Wraith out back earlier in the day then brought it in to charge my packs and transmitter. I decided to head out to the construction site to try out my new tires. When I got to the site I wasn't getting the second set of arming beeps. I tried everything from full throttle, both forward and reverse, then switching it on, which is what I thought would put it in a re-initializing mode, to actually making sure my throttle trim was a zero, both trim and sub trim, nothing...

Any ideas?
boulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Have you tried re-calibrating to Tx to the ESC?

While holding full throttle on the Tx turn the ESC on. Wait for the beeps then a constant beep, then go full reverse, again wait for constant beep, then let go to neutral, wait for beeps to be over. Also make sure and check all of your connections for the motor, ESC, etc.

Seeing as you near Houston you should check out our scale comp and USRCCA comp coming up in Tomball on the 27th. More info is at the top of the Texas section under TXRCO.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I had the same problem with my esc and I just reprogrammed the esc throws and have not had any problems since.

Jorge
teamvaladezhobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:02 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post

While holding full throttle on the Tx turn the ESC on. Wait for the beeps then a constant beep, then go full reverse, again wait for constant beep, then let go to neutral, wait for beeps to be over. Also make sure and check all of your connections for the motor, ESC, etc.

Seeing as you near Houston you should check out our scale comp and USRCCA comp coming up in Tomball on the 27th. More info is at the top of the Texas section under TXRCO.
Going to try that tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamvaladezhobb View Post
I had the same problem with my esc and I just reprogrammed the esc throws and have not had any problems since.

Jorge
Wish I knew how set throws on the ESC, no clue what that entails...
Old 08-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:

If I can get this thing figured out I will enter the event. I'm assuming since I'm a serious newb to this there will be some guidance available??
Old 08-16-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder View Post
If I can get this thing figured out I will enter the event. I'm assuming since I'm a serious newb to this there will be some guidance available??
It's all laid back run what you got, no worries. Newbs more than welcome, it's all for fun. Everyone will be happy to help you out.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:31 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:

I tried this for a second time this morning. I don't get the constant beep holding full throttle...I get the series in the beginning then nothing even after holding for a minute or so.

Anybody have a stock ESC for this rig they want to sell so I can swap it out to see if that's the issue? I would order a Mamba or something but would like one that has added features but fits in the stock location.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:21 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Try switching the throws on your transmitter and recalibrate. Open the cover on the top of the tranmitter and switch the switch that says throttle and try the whole process again. I would not get any constant beeps and this fixed the problem.
hellbentrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:01 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
I tried this for a second time this morning. I don't get the constant beep holding full throttle...I get the series in the beginning then nothing even after holding for a minute or so.

Anybody have a stock ESC for this rig they want to sell so I can swap it out to see if that's the issue? I would order a Mamba or something but would like one that has added features but fits in the stock location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellbentrodder View Post
Try switching the throws on your transmitter and recalibrate. Open the cover on the top of the tranmitter and switch the switch that says throttle and try the whole process again. I would not get any constant beeps and this fixed the problem.
Definitely try what hellbent said.

As for ESC's that are direct fits the sidewinder SV2 or Shortcourse version along with the Holmes Hobbies BRXL will all fit as they use the same case.

If we can't get you going via this site then come on out to the event and we'll help you out. Worse case scenario we can try some other ESC's out there or a different Tx/Rx.

I know it's frustrating but don't give up yet.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:18 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I would love to try what hellbent said but the only problem is I'm using the Futaba 4PKs, not the stock transmitter.

I'll try to get a hold of HH to see how fast I can get an ESC out here. I've already ordered an 18T CrawlMaster motor so I guess I'll get this next.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Ok...just ordered...need this sucka' pretty quickly...John?
Old 08-18-2011, 07:24 PM   #12
RCC Addict

As long as you didn't get the waterproofing it will go out quickly. John is an AAA+++ vendor.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:42 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

I might just try to go back to the stock radio and receiver to try it...not sure what the problem is at this point...
Old 08-20-2011, 08:40 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Installed the stock receiver and it works fine...now to find out what I did to the 4PKs to mess things up. I'm looking at how to go back to factory settings now and start from scratch.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

did the "all reset" and still nothing...one hell of a lot of radio to leave sitting on the shelf cuz I can't figure it out. for now I might need to go back to the stock setup
Old 08-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

All right...this is what I did. I found out that it wasn't the ESC, but a new HH unit is on the way anyhow. I tried reversing the throttle in the transmitter and tried the reset, no dice. The last thing I tried was instead of holding full forward and turning on the truck, I tried full reverse, held until the beeps were constant, went to forward until the beeps were constant, let it go back to neutral until the beeps were constant, shut it off, turned it back on and now it works...

It looks a little choppy on my tile floor, but that could be the new tires. I will try it out on some rocks this afternoon to see how it runs.

Thanks for all the replies and I guess I will see y'all in Tomball next weekend!
Old 08-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
All right...this is what I did. I found out that it wasn't the ESC, but a new HH unit is on the way anyhow. I tried reversing the throttle in the transmitter and tried the reset, no dice. The last thing I tried was instead of holding full forward and turning on the truck, I tried full reverse, held until the beeps were constant, went to forward until the beeps were constant, let it go back to neutral until the beeps were constant, shut it off, turned it back on and now it works...
Something dosen't sound right. Maybe you didn't have the throttle trim & sub trim to "0" or the throttle deadband is off.
Maybe the throttle EPA's are not 100%, thus the issue.

Regardless, you have it working, but finding out why would be good for you & anyone else that has this issue (and does a search).

Here is the link to the CC MM troubleshooting page..... http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...mamba_max.html
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Something dosen't sound right. Maybe you didn't have the throttle trim & sub trim to "0" or the throttle deadband is off.
Maybe the throttle EPA's are not 100%, thus the issue.

Regardless, you have it working, but finding out why would be good for you & anyone else that has this issue (and does a search).

Here is the link to the CC MM troubleshooting page..... http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...mamba_max.html
I agree with you Charlie, sounds wierd. I had all throttle settings to zero and the deadband is 2% I think. The EPA's on the throttle are at 100%...after I did the reset I started putting all the parts back together, but just before I closed the top of the receiver case I decided to try the recalibrate procedure in reverse, just to see...and it worked. If it hadn't worked I would be running the stock radio right now.

I sure wish I knew exactly what I did to make it work for the reasons you mention...would be nice to share that info with everyone, but I just don't have a definitive answer at this point.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:59 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

All right y'all, got this thing runnin' sweet, but had a minor issue today...finally fried my stock motor, lots of pretty smoke...need something to get me through till my CrawlMaster gets here...tell me what is it and how much...need something fast.

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2011, 06:23 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Find a place that has a 35T brushed in stock. Maybe a vendor here, Tower Hobbies, etc.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote