Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Charging LiPo's in Vehichle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
Got Worms?

Default Charging LiPo's in Vehichle

Anyone charge their lipo's in their car? Through the DC outlets?

Can the outlets handle a few amps of current?
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
Metal shaper

I run a small inverter in mine and do it all the time. Don't know if that helps.
CarterFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Yea you can our whole group does it
Solitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I use a 10amp car power tap with bullet outputs I got from Radio Shack. Works great, a lot easier than big alligator clips on the 12v battery and ground under the hood.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Done it for years. I use one of these to have a handy connection.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3875401

If you have a truck with a 7 pin trailer connector, one of the pins is full time power. I've made an extension cord so I can set up on the tailgate. Very handy.

Oh yeah, if the outlet is for cigarette lighters, then the outlet is usually limited to 8 amps. If it is called a "power outlet", they can usually do 20 amps, IIRC.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
Done it for years. I use one of these to have a handy connection.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3875401

If you have a truck with a 7 pin trailer connector, one of the pins is full time power. I've made an extension cord so I can set up on the tailgate. Very handy.

Oh yeah, if the outlet is for cigarette lighters, then the outlet is usually limited to 8 amps. If it is called a "power outlet", they can usually do 20 amps, IIRC.
No, i just have alittle 1990 toy with a 4 pin connector...but good idea. Most of my crawling is done in my back yard (40 acres with plenty of rocks).

8 amps is plenty for a single charger...the plug i have only has a 3 amp fuse. I'll probably put a higher amp fuse in it, but i need to tear it apart and inspect the circuitry alittle bit more before i do that.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I either use an inverter in the car or direct from the battery to charger.

I also carry a 12VDC/7AH gell cell in my carry case (big box that carries a 2.2, 1.9, parts, tools, etc) for "in the field" charging.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:45 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I have a deep cycle battery in the back of the pickup I run my charger off from. Not that I am worried about fires or dead batteries, its just always back there for the trolling motor on the boat. I have on occasion used an adapter that I made with banana clips and a cigarette lighter plug but found I have to keep the charge rate down or it pops the fuse. (Small fuse, underrated plug and was only used in wife's car.)

I am sure someone will or could do the math but I can go weeks charging off that deep cycle battery and when I throw the charger on its usually still above 11.8 or 12.0 volts.
outkast7222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Anyone charge their lipo's in their car? Through the DC outlets?

Can the outlets handle a few amps of current?
I charge mine like that all of the time in my 4Runner and have done it in several rental cars and never had an issue. I bought an adapter (with an included on/off switch) from RatShack and installed some banana plugs on it and on my charger.

Just make sure to use an adapter that is NOT also a transformer. Most cell phones charge at 3.5V (they use 1 cell batteries) so the adapter includes a step down transformer and will not work.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:02 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Yep, do it all the time.

I have a 2000W power inverter that I installed in my van. I run a power supply that I converted from an old computer power with 5V and 12V banana jacks, is supplies 36A, so I have plenty.

My charger is an ICharger 3010B that I bought for use with my airplanes and I have no issues running this and another charger at the same time.

I do run my van while I'm running the charger with an extension cord...don't have my additional batteries installed yet.
boulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:12 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I do it every weekend when I race. Well, I don't use the outlet. Got a small table setup right in front of my car with my charger on it. Pop the hood and use my jumper cables to hook the charger to the battery.
Stregone is offline   Reply With Quote