Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Basic Crawler Motor/ESC/Radio Setup?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Basic Crawler Motor/ESC/Radio Setup?

Reading over these threads, its becoming pretty obvious that crawling is a whole different thing than standard electric R/Cing.

Currently, Ive got a Tamiya TB-01 and Micro RS4. Ive been using the RS4 radio (HPI, no clue what the model number is, etc...just that its a standard 2 channel)

Im thinking its time to upgrade it to something that doesnt require me to move the receiver to the car I want to run. Im not looking to break the bank here, and I will not be competitively running anything. I will eventually want to add some more speed to the TB-01 (I think I run a 9 or 10t motor on it now). Ive read a lot on these SkyFly radios? Is this the radio Id be best suited for?

What is a basic Motor/ESC setup for an SCX10 (the crawler I'll most likely be purchasing)? It seems that the options are so incredibly varied, and honestly Im overwhelmed at the options. I will be using NiCAD batteries for the time being

Sorry if I am asking basic questions. Ive searched but the information seems to be all over the place, and the noob FAQ doesnt address this topic on one or two blurbs, its more like 400 pages of info

Thanks!
AG74683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #2

spektrum dx3c radio and reciver is good, and a tekin fxr esc 35t motor combo also is good for the price
hunter851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
Got Worms?

Yes a Flysky GT3B will work good for your application, cheap rx's too.

As for esc/motor....http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...3&cat=4&page=1
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

well I ordered the FS-GT3B from hobbypartz tonight. Got it with an extra receiver for the TB-01 so I can switch the HPI controller back to the RS4 (plus the antenna for the HPI receiver has a tear in the insulation...its electrical tapped for now...)

I'll be ordering the hack kit if I decide I need the extra channels (which means I'll probably be ordering the hack kit )

So with these crawlers, what does the turn count actually mean in terms of performance? When I got into this hobby, all I remember is that the lower turn count = faster speed. Does this still hold true? Do I want higher or lower turn count on a crawler motor?

If I do pull the trigger on starting this crawler hobby up, I'll probably go with the Holmes set up (seem to be getting the best reviews here...).
AG74683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:01 PM   #5
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG74683 View Post
So with these crawlers, what does the turn count actually mean in terms of performance? When I got into this hobby, all I remember is that the lower turn count = faster speed. Does this still hold true? Do I want higher or lower turn count on a crawler motor?

If I do pull the trigger on starting this crawler hobby up, I'll probably go with the Holmes set up (seem to be getting the best reviews here...).
This is a great read

http://www.team3sixrc.com/electronics101.htm
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote