Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Project box and LED controller ?s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Project box and LED controller ?s

I am thinking about moving all of the electronics to project boxes on the sliders on my Honcho. One housing the ESC (AE-2) and the other with the rx (2.4 Axial) and LED controller. First question is what to do with antenna? Looking at some pics I haven't figured out what is best, some look like the whole antenna is in the box. What would that do to the performance?
Also, does anyone know if the Dingo LED controller is any different than the Honcho RTR controller? The Dingo has 4 white LEDs and Honcho only has 2. I'm wondering if I can plug one of the Axial 5 light strings into the Honcho LED controller..?
The rearranging of stuff brings up the thought that I may want to shorten some wires just to clean them up some. Any reason I shouldn't do this? I have a lot of extra battery to ESC wire floating around.

Thanks, Kevin
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2011, 04:26 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I coiled the antenna in the box around the parameter and haven't suffered any glitching or range issues.
SC Convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

The only wire you can't shorten is the antenna. If you are always close to your rig you could probably leave it in the box as long as you place it away from the other wires. Mine is laying down along the frame.

All brushed motor wires can be changed. Some brushless motors have wires that come right off the windings and must not be messed with. It is usually obvious (remove the dust cap if needed) whether the wires are soldered to the motor or if they come from inside it.
Mud Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

the dingo and honcho controller are the same and yes u can plug in that light strand.
chopan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:10 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Thanks for the replies, looks like some of my plans might work out for a change...
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:19 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

That's how I did it.
SC Convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:08 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

how ironic. I literally JUST did the same thing with my SCX10

not 100% done (need to mount the boxes and tidy up the wires), but everything works

personally, I'm just going to coil the antenna wire inside the box and see how it works out

iamsuperbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:07 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

As far as the RX antenna, the antenna on my Spektrum Rx was never long enough to get out of the electronics box on my Slash, So i just ran the wire along the bottom of the box and still had 100 yards of range. With a crawler you're always close to you could really do whatever you wanted short cut it off and be okay

Also nice build there, really like the way you put terminals in the project boxes. Much cleaner looking then holes with silicone clogging them.
federally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:21 AM   #9
PapaGriz Yo

Did you solder those ring connectors on rather than crimp them? Crimping causes resistance and is very inefficient.

Very nice setup. I use those project boxes on my rigs and they work great. You should be fine leaving the antennae wire in the box, I do it on my Spektrum. You might lose signal if the box goes completely underwater though.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:47 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
Did you solder those ring connectors on rather than crimp them? Crimping causes resistance and is very inefficient.

Very nice setup. I use those project boxes on my rigs and they work great. You should be fine leaving the antennae wire in the box, I do it on my Spektrum. You might lose signal if the box goes completely underwater though.
I didn't have trouble with losing signal under water but I guess that is a possibility.
federally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:02 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post

crimped AND soldered

tinned the wire, put it in the connector, crimped it, then hit it with the soldering iron again to liquify the solder and make it bond with the connector

Sent from my space age wireless communication device.
iamsuperbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote