Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Anyone run a Hitec 7955 at 7.4?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Anyone run a Hitec 7955 at 7.4?

Hello all. I realize the hitec 7955 is not rated for 7.4 volts but many in the area have been bypassing the need for bec's by running servos right off 7.4 volts on mini's with great success. I am thinking about doing the same on my berg with my 7955. Anyone ever run it up to that voltage with any luck. If so how long has it held up?

Last edited by RickM; 08-28-2011 at 04:24 PM.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

My friend runs a cc bec at 7v all day. The servo gets warm but no problems yet. Im sure it would handle 7.4 but I would keep an eye on how hot it is getting.
MacJamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Do you have a $100 you can loan me till my brother straightens up?

He's a hunchback you know...............

I guess if your going to just throw money away doing things like this it can't hurt to ask.

JC
skid plate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Skid plate. I guess I appreciate your response but why reply. Obviously you have not run this servo at 7.4, so you really don't have the ability to address the question. Also, If I was looking to throw away $100 without a care then I probably would have just done it without even asking. Finally many guys on this site that win big level comps are doing things they should probably NOT do per the manufacturers. They win these comps because they are willing to push the edge.

Finally this is the strongest servo I have right now, and I would like more. To get more grunt out of it I either run it at higher voltage, or go ahead now and spend the money. I think if I could prolong the agony of spending money by ramping up the volts then maybe, in my mind at least, it is worth it.

So I guess back to the question. Can the servo handle a little more volts? Mac Jamez, you info is helpfull.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Rick, keep in mind, most have the mindset that 7.4V is too high because of the high draw and heavy weight from a 2.2 or super. These Mini's weigh MUCH less than either of the large class trucks (mine is about half the weight) so I dont see them pushing the servos too hard.

Also, keep in mind that those who have their servos wired directly to the lipo, are actually pushing 8.4V through them from a fresh pack.

IMO, if you are running your servo in a mini and want it direct wired, I dont think you'll have any troubles.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:54 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

i run my digital heatsinked Hitec's at 9v for comps. it wont overheat in the time it takes to run a course, just don't run courses back to back to back. my mrc sees 6v with a hobbico cs 170. plenty of power (333oz) while the sportsman and berg have probably 450oz+.
ClassicGMJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Thanks Jeremy and Classic. I am actually looking to run this setup on my Berg. I am running a futaba 9551 off 2s on my mini. It gets warm but 86 jeep is the one that said he had been running it like that for a year, with no problems. So far things are the same on my mrc and it has been good for about 4 or 5 months with no issues.

I kindo figure that I will still run a BEC on my berg with my 7955 with it at 7v for a bit and just keep an eye on temps early on. I do worry that having it sandwiched by a motor and axle limits the amount of heat that can get out.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
Ty
Quarry Creeper

I have been running my CS 170 at 7.5 volts on my mini for some time now. It works great.
Ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:43 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Skid plate. I guess I appreciate your response but why reply. Obviously you have not run this servo at 7.4, so you really don't have the ability to address the question. Also, If I was looking to throw away $100 without a care then I probably would have just done it without even asking. Finally many guys on this site that win big level comps are doing things they should probably NOT do per the manufacturers. They win these comps because they are willing to push the edge.

Finally this is the strongest servo I have right now, and I would like more. To get more grunt out of it I either run it at higher voltage, or go ahead now and spend the money. I think if I could prolong the agony of spending money by ramping up the volts then maybe, in my mind at least, it is worth it.

So I guess back to the question. Can the servo handle a little more volts? Mac Jamez, you info is helpfull.

Sorry bud,, didn't mean to get you pissy.

I have been around a little while, seen alot of stuff, by no means everything.
But I have seen some very nice servo's wrecked, over-voltaged, beaten badly by 2.2's and Supers.

Again, didn't mean to get you pissy, just tryin to save you the possible heatbreak when it goes.

Like you said, some big names do some things to win at comps, I have seen some of those backfire too.

Have fun, life is way to short.

JC
skid plate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:19 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I wouldn't with any of the older ones, all the Hitec servos I've owned, (nothing newly released) ran super hot at 6 volts any higher and I'm sure they would have fried.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:27 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Skid plate. No worries, and not pissy, I just have a specific situation I am trying to address, and I tried to point all that out without getting to wordy in the top post. I am working to see if I can milk some more power out of an otherwise mildly used servo, rather than go buy a new one today. I don't want to burn it up on the first run, but if it gets me 6 months then I might do it. Its kindof is situation specific.

Stormin2u. That is good info. I have also experienced the same type of issues with a Savox. The futaba on the other hand has been a dream.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:07 PM   #12
TSK
Shelf queen

As long as the servo doesn't run at 140*, you should be ok. 120-130* you should be ok. Just figure that the motor will burn out faster in the long run.

I try to run my CC bec'd servos at 7.4V regardless of brand or quality (Cirrus PCS 170. TowerPro 995mg, JR 8711, 9100T, Z9100 HVT, or Hitec 5955 & 7954SH)

Just run the BEC and not straight of the pack for consitency's sake, and take a temp gun to it regularly for the first few runs.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:31 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I have a Rowdy Racing no clamp servo protector on my 7955tg on 6.2V no problems at all...the heat gets dissipated pretty well on the servo armor.

I haven't had any issues so far. 6.2V is more than adequate for my AX10 shafty comp rig. Fully hopped up on an Incision chassis.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:24 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I am running a 5955 in my mini but only on 6V.

I remember talking with Greg about this specifically and he said that once they have been run at 6V and heated up more than a few times, turning the voltage up higher tended to burn them up exceedingly fast. Now granted, this is second hand knowledge, but Greg had a pretty good handle on what worked and what didn't. And frankly, I didn't have the money to waste to find out on my own.

My new 7950 has been run at 7.4V since day one and still through the receiver.
onespeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:28 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
I wouldn't with any of the older ones, all the Hitec servos I've owned, (nothing newly released) ran super hot at 6 volts any higher and I'm sure they would have fried.
Hitec servos are pretty much crap now, my 5955 and my 7955 (as well as a few 645's) both did the turn one way, lock up the other way within a few packs (being easy on them at 4.8 volts and in a light SC truck). Seems everyone I know ends up sending in their 100+ dollar Hitec servos for the same thing.

My T-Pro 996 from Hobbypartz at a whopping 11 bucks is the best I've had in a while. Even if it dies in a few months, you can't beat 11 bucks. I think it puts out 180oz. torque. More than enough for the scaler and SC.
Cheatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:10 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I run a T-Pro 996 also and it's at 7.2 thru a CC Bec. No problems so far and this is in an all steel chassis EB that weighs 8 pounds or so turning 2.2's. I also run my Hitec 645 on the same rig as a servo winch and it's still turning. My 1.9 rig is much lighter running a CYS servo, $20.00 at 7.2 w/CC Bec. Also, no problems with this either and it has like 224oz. Like it was stated before, I run the cheaper stuff too and they seem to hold up fine.

I know this does not directly answer your question, but if these lower priced servo's can run at a higher than recommended voltage, it would seem that the more expensive ones should be able to do the same. Just my 2 cents.
tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:39 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I have 2 7955 and 2 even older 5955 servos that I have run straight lipo for the last 4-5 years without issue. Like was mentioned, 8.4V on a fresh pack. Makes them faster and stronger which I really like. I have never temped a servo before but I have never fried one either.
BurnLatex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:11 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Thge way I figure:

ccbec=$20=cheap insurance for $100 servo
Maxx_Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:20 AM   #19
RCC Addict

I run my Hitec servos all at 8 volts with no issues yet.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:57 PM   #20
RCC Addict

I got this servo in and installed. I programmed the BEC to run at 7 volts and I am running light wheels and tires with knuckle weights. I will report back as time goes on and see how this goes.

RickM