Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: If i'm running a BEC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2011, 10:50 PM   #1
Got Worms?

Default If i'm running a BEC

So i'm 90% sure. But here's my question.

Can i run just the white wire to the rx? I'll be running two fxr's and a bec will power rx/servo. So since i'm rewiring my fxr's i was wondering if i can just replace the white/signal wire. Instead of trying to get all of them...
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2011, 01:42 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Im not sure exactly what you are asking but I will try to answer anyways.

If you are going to run the BEC directly to the servo and power the receiver from one of the fxr's (best setup in my option) then the signal wire from your servo needs to go to the receiver and then the other two plug into the BEC. Also unplug one of the FXR's red wires, shouldnt matter if its front or rear but I usually unplug the front since I beat on front dig a lot more than rear.

If you are running the receiver off your external bec just pull both red wires from the FXR's and plug the BEC into an available slot.

I think that will cover your question either way.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:42 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Yes
erikblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:05 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I agree with SMR, keep in mind, some radios can get twitchy with the BEC unless you also run the black BEC wire into the RX along with the white/yellow signal wire.

I run my CC 10A BEC direct to the steering servo with only the yellow signal wire to the RX.
I use a spare plug cover/housing to support the signal wire in the RX.

Last edited by Charlie-III; 09-04-2011 at 10:45 AM. Reason: fix typo....
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:40 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Some good advice here.

Do as suggested and power the servo direct from the BEC, with only the servo's signal wire going to the RX. I sacrifice a little extra weight and use a Y connector so that I can still use the factory plug on the servo and the BEC. It makes for easy programming if needed.

Next pull the red wire from the front ESC, and run the RX from the rear ESC.

This is by far the best setup.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
Got Worms?

Here's the thing, i'm replacing the leads on the fxrs, if you have ever looked at where the leads go, its damn near impossible. So i want to remove the servo wire and replace it with a single wire (the signal)

So both fxrs will be running white wires only into the rx and the BEC will power the RX and Servo. I would think since its all using the +/- from the battery. That it should work. But i'm unsure if Castle has done something funky in their bec so this won't work

As for powering the rx with my rear esc, probably not the best option for me, as my rx is on the front axle and rear esc is on the rear axle. But i probably can power the rx with the front esc, as the lead isn't in too bad of condition.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

What you are looking to do "should" work, but part of powering the steering servo seperate from the RX (on a BEC) is to make sure the RX always has good power (from the ESC) while feeding heavy loads to the servo direct from the BEC.

I see no reason you couldn't feed everything from the BEC though.

Maybe you shouldn't overthink some things.....lol
Old 09-04-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
Got Worms?

Ok well, you win, i'll power my servo off the bec, and front esc will power the rx.

Now can i snag power for my bec at the batter poles on my front esc, or do i need todo it at the deans?

MY battery will be in the chassis, so i'm trying to keep the bare minimum amount of wires leaving the axle.

I'm just trying to pass time till i have wire to solder it all up. Its bugging me just staring at, but i think i have it down...i'll draw up my idea's here in a minute
Old 09-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Ok well, you win, i'll power my servo off the bec, and front esc will power the rx.

Now can i snag power for my bec at the batter poles on my front esc, or do i need todo it at the deans?

MY battery will be in the chassis, so i'm trying to keep the bare minimum amount of wires leaving the axle.

I'm just trying to pass time till i have wire to solder it all up. Its bugging me just staring at, but i think i have it down...i'll draw up my idea's here in a minute
You can tap power right at the ESC with no problems at all.
khwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:54 AM   #10
Got Worms?

Ok so heres what my quick auto cad skills came up with

Old 09-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Yep, that will work. Where you get battery power for the BEC is a moot point. At the battery connection or in front of any ESC is the same in general terms.

Looks good.......start cutting/soldering........(once you get wire in....)
Old 09-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #12
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Yep, that will work. Where you get battery power for the BEC is a moot point. At the battery connection or in front of any ESC is the same in general terms.

Looks good.......start cutting/soldering........(once you get wire in....)
Yep tuesday, i'm going to go pick up some deans 16 awg for my power leads (3 inchs to motor, 4-5 inches to battery. I'll be fine.

and i'm going to order in some 20 awg silicone wire for the bec, a 2x1 connector and a 1x1 (to split the servo) Some 28 awg wire for my esc signals.

I'm also going to be ordering in some 1/8" delrin for armor and protype chassis. Pretty much complete rebuild.

My losi is going to be a xr eating machine, if my driving skills is better than the xr driver

I want a real clean wiring job, as i can't have a rats nest in my losi, in product photos for the chassis.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #13
Got Worms?

I did just get it all hooked through my old rats nest and got the fxr's programmed, and it seems to work good