Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: HH Motor issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 06:22 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default HH Motor issue

My HH 45 on the rear axle of my XR10 has been cutting out and not working multiple times during a run. When I mess with one of the brushes, it decides to work sometimes. What is the problem and how do I fix it? Thanks
armycrawler101st is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2011, 06:27 AM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Sounds like a hanging brush or dirty motor. Have you taken it apart and inspected it, and do you have anybody local that can service brushed motors?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:40 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Sounds like a hanging brush or dirty motor. Have you taken it apart and inspected it, and do you have anybody local that can service brushed motors?
+1, or, you have worn brushes & they are getting too short. Either way, you or someone else needs to look it over.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:37 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I'm not experienced enough to feel comfortable to take it apart and there aren't many local rc places. I'll have to talk to people and look around
Old 09-04-2011, 07:58 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Looking inside (no disassembly) can give you an idea. The "spinning part" inside (armature) should have bright shiney copper segments on it. If the segments (commutator) is dark colored, "grooved" looking, rough edges between the segments, you may need a motor refresh.
Pulling the springs are easy, unhook where they slip into the brush hood, twist & lift out, pull the brush out and check length and condition of the mating surface that goes against the comm.

Holmes, Br00d and other places do motor rebuilds, contact them about what you have and if it's worth a rebuild.
Maybe check the regional forums here and see if you can find someone local to help you out.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I hope it isn't that bad, I have crawled it probably a dozen times so I don't see how it could have gotten that jacked up.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by armycrawler101st View Post
I hope it isn't that bad, I have crawled it probably a dozen times so I don't see how it could have gotten that jacked up.
True, you wouldn't expect it. Then again, my "dozen times" is ~6 minutes/run or ~1.5 hours, a large battery (3000mah+) may be hours of time.

Does anything on the end of the motor, or the motor power connection seem loose?? Maybe a bad solder joint for a motor connection?
Old 09-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Dragging an unprotected motor across rocks can tweak a brush hood, which will cause the brush to stick and not make good contact with the comm.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
Dragging an unprotected motor across rocks can tweak a brush hood, which will cause the brush to stick and not make good contact with the comm.
That's why I put condoms on my motors....none of that "unprotected" stuff for me!! No need to have 1/24th rigs popping up all over the place.......

Manning, good thoughts though, a check for bent brush hoods is worthwhile to go along with seeing is anything there is loose.

Last edited by Charlie-III; 09-04-2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Fix typo....
Old 09-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
That's why I put condoms on my motors....none of that "unprotected" stuff for me!! No need to have 1/24th rigs popping up all over the place.......

Manning, good thoughts though, a check for bent brush hoods is worthwhile to go along with seeing is anything there is loose.
Ha, I didn't think of it that way when I wrote that....

Yeah, bent brush hood = stuck brush = "cutting out".
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:00 AM   #11

Sounds like the motor just doesn't have brakes. The lurching would indicate that the motor is being over driven by the hold, so the hold is too strong. I would recommend a motor with stronger magnets or higher quality construction over the stock motor if you need more drag. Also, drop down in pinion size and you will get drag back. If you went to 13t you would gain almost 20% more braking force.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I took a look at it today at the parts you mentioned. The spinning copper part was a little dirty and had some scratches in to too, but was not that bad. The armatures were not very dirty either. I wiped them all down with a cloth and they seemed to shine back up. What do you guys think? Is it beyond my skill to fix as it sits now or do you think it will be okay? maybe I can take it back apart in a few days when I have a day off and I can post some pictures to help you guys see.

Nothing seemed loose or unconnected around/in it either.

Thanks!

Last edited by armycrawler101st; 09-11-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #13

If it is working fine, it will be okay. Probably needs a new set of brushes by now though. Otherwise feel free to send it my way. I will take a gander for free if you pay shipping.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:26 AM   #14
No idea what I'm doing

Make sure your brush isn't hanging up by the wire. This happened to mine at a TTC event. Thought it was a fried ESC but the brush just wore down until the lead got hung up and stopped running.

C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote