Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: HH torquemaster hand wound or cobalt puller

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default HH torquemaster hand wound or cobalt puller

I decided not to go brushless. I was wondering your guys opinions on if I should get a 35t pro hand wound or go with a 14t cobalt puller. Is going to be it partner with a summit trans in a scx10. Not a straight crawler. I do hills, rocks and mud runs. What do you guys think?
muddinscx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
Got Worms?

Both are great...if your going to be in the mud the handwound would be more ideal as the comm is less open. But brushless would be your best option
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Both are great...if your going to be in the mud the handwound would be more ideal as the comm is less open. But brushless would be your best option
In your opinion, why do you think brushless is better? I keep getting a lot of mixed answeres and I'm not formillier with brushless
Old 09-04-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddinscx View Post
In your opinion, why do you think brushless is better? I keep getting a lot of mixed answeres and I'm not formillier with brushless
Alot less maintenance, and are pretty much sealed from the elements (mud)
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

What would be a good all around setup? I would like it to be at alittle over a jog in high gear (reminder of the 2 speed summit trans). A lot of people are saying the vxl3s combo. Some say the esc will go out often but traxxas has a great warranty and they are waterproof.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:24 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Here was the first answer I posted in your other post.

"The 35T hand wound with a BR-Xl and 4S is a great choice, it will be nice on 3S also. That is what I run in my Wraith and it rocks. The 14T Puller is great if you needs tons of torque. I run it in a pretty heavy TTC rig on 3S and not much stops it."

I run a couple Novak Goat 3S brushless system and have had great luck with them. Decent performance for decent cost. But you are limited to 3S and the whole thing has to be ballooned. If your going to crawl, you can eliminate the Castle combos as uncensored systems don't crawl very well. Other Brushless systems work and have some great advantages the the Tekin Combos or the Tekin motor and Mamba Max Pro escs, but they all came a a FAR higher cost and with the same issue of ballooning. Fast (depending on the motor), no cogging, good drag brake, programable, etc.

If you want was of use, waterproof and power, you can't beat the BR-XL from HH and one of his Crawlmaster or Torquemaster motors. All at a reasonable cost.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:21 AM   #7
RCC Addict

what are you doing? Scaling, crawling? What rig? what battery?
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I run HH handwound 45t combo on 3s, with 32pitch 12/58. Good speed for climbs and overall trail running. A 5000mah lipo can last 4+ hours doing hard climbs and dirt hill climbs.
I have read that a cobalt puller will heat up if on 3s doing trail runs.
I also have used a Traxxas brushless (vxl-3?) set up. Lots of speed and does ok for crawling, just need to get used to having no drag brake. I used this set up for a TTC.
RusT808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #9
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Alot less maintenance, and are pretty much sealed from the elements (mud)
Any motor that gets into water and mud will need regular maintenance, so my feeling has always been that the advantage of brushless in dirty use is very minimal. A motor should always be torn apart and cleaned fully after a run in mud or water unless the user doesn't care about it.

For this reason I typically recommend cheap cheap motors for mud trucks, like a RC4WD sealed can. But, many people do use nicer motors and just keep up on the maintenance. The puller will actually be easier to seal from the elements with some tape or heatshrink. A TorqueMaster will be easier to pull apart and clean.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:34 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Any motor that gets into water and mud will need regular maintenance, so my feeling has always been that the advantage of brushless in dirty use is very minimal. A motor should always be torn apart and cleaned fully after a run in mud or water unless the user doesn't care about it.

For this reason I typically recommend cheap cheap motors for mud trucks, like a RC4WD sealed can. But, many people do use nicer motors and just keep up on the maintenance. The puller will actually be easier to seal from the elements with some tape or heatshrink. A TorqueMaster will be easier to pull apart and clean.
I hear nothing but great thing about the HH combos and that's why I was wanting to give the 14t puller a try but electric motor building is not my strong point so I've been doin a lot of thinking and I was going to use the just the esc and use cheap motors in this build since the truck will see snow, water, mud and sand it would just be easier to buy 5 motors at $10 since like I've said, building electric motors is not my strong point and id be mad if I toasted a $80 one.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #11
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Indeed. Pick up some cheap johnson cans or those sealed cans from RC4WD. Good price, and not too bad to F-up in a mud puddle.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusT808 View Post
I run HH handwound 45t combo on 3s, with 32pitch 12/58. Good speed for climbs and overall trail running. A 5000mah lipo can last 4+ hours doing hard climbs and dirt hill climbs.
I have read that a cobalt puller will heat up if on 3s doing trail runs.
I also have used a Traxxas brushless (vxl-3?) set up. Lots of speed and does ok for crawling, just need to get used to having no drag brake. I used this set up for a TTC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddinscx View Post
I hear nothing but great thing about the HH combos and that's why I was wanting to give the 14t puller a try but electric motor building is not my strong point so I've been doin a lot of thinking and I was going to use the just the esc and use cheap motors in this build since the truck will see snow, water, mud and sand it would just be easier to buy 5 motors at $10 since like I've said, building electric motors is not my strong point and id be mad if I toasted a $80 one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Indeed. Pick up some cheap johnson cans or those sealed cans from RC4WD. Good price, and not too bad to F-up in a mud puddle.
Awesome...

I have been changing my mind on a daily basis on what setup I want to go with. I want the ability to crawl, but the "high speed blasts(jogging speed)" would be awesome to have for the occasional muddy hill climb etc...

Brushless/Brushed... Not sure on what to go with, however I like the idea of doing my own maintenance rather than assuming a brushless setup is sealed and requires no maintenance.

RusT808 - your setup sounds like the perfect combo...
Price is not a huge concern as this is my new favorite hobby and I know you have to pay to play... But I never realized you could get "4 hours run time" I gotta get a 5000mah lipo. And a HH setup of some kind either the puller or the handwound (reason for looking at the thread).

JohnRobHolmes - I just realized you are HH. And the ability to suggest another competitor motor for a certain applications rather than just trying to sell your product shows you care about the hobby and purpose of the forum. I will for sure purchase a HH combo once I am ready to upgrade and after I do some more thread searches to figure out where I want to spend my money.

If you have time I am open to suggestion, here is my current setup and future plan...

I just purchased my first Crawler last month. I am relatively new to the hobby, but already addicted. I purchased the HPI Crawler king RTR kit. I have a 4200venom 7.2v 6 cell batt pack, ONYX charger, and all stock HPI electronics/motor that I am in the process of waterproofing with ballons and sealed containers and silicone. I upgraded the shocks due to a blown cap on the stock unit, added a bit of weight to the wheels, and replaced the steering servo with a HPI waterproof all gear unit, and ordered aluminum steering linkage to get better steering response. I am havng a blast with the stock electronics setup, and what I thought was long running time of 45 min. With the exception of a new pickup body I am going to keep my Crawler king the way it is. The drivetrain is tuff enough to handle the stock setup so I am gonna leave it the way it is for an all around basher that I can puddle jump/crawl/and keep having fun with.

What I really want advise and sugestions on is the motor and elcetronics setup for my next build. I want to do a full aftermarket/custom setup, rather than buying a kit, I wanna build a completely one-off unit that is extremly tough. I am going to fabricate a low center of gravity bulletproof waterproof basher/crawler that can handle the abuse of a drag brake esc, high end motors, lipo power, and the occasional swap to clod tires. As far as suspension and chassis I have that kind of figred out, but I am still up in the air on doing a dual motor setup like an XR10 or a single mid chassis tranny with drive shafts, this will depend on axle choices.

Again I think I need to do some more searching before I start, but any advise on esc and motor setup would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
nut_up_racing is offline   Reply With Quote