Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Discharging with Thunder AC6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 11:57 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Discharging with Thunder AC6

Quick question...

finally got around to messing with the AC6, and Im running my old NiCADs through a few discharge/charge cycles.

When I set the discharge, I assume the 0.1A is the discharge rate, and the V measurement on the right is for how far to discharge? I have it set at 5.4. Is this reading PER CELL, or PER BATTERY? If its per cell, well that sucks , I suppose in that case it should be at 0.9.

Can I discharge at a higher rate than 0.1? Its slightly confusing, because when discharging, the mAh reading goes up, but from what the manual says, thats actually what it has discharged?

Thanks
AG74683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2011, 01:45 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Well assuming the AC6 works like the AC680 when you navigae to the discharge option and tap enter the values on the screen should start blinking. Then use the arrows to adjust each value, press enter to select between them. I'd think the AC6 should at least be able to discharge at 1 amp. As far as the voltage if it's the same as it is with Lipo you're telling it what the resting voltage of your pack is, then the charge takes that and figures how far that pack should be discharged.

Did this all make any sense? Lol
federally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:43 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The Mah number going up is correct, it is what capacity was removed from the pack.
As you discharge/charge cycle, you will likely see the values getting better.

I would also try to discharge at least a "1C" rate, thus a 1300mah pack would discharge at 1.3Amps. It will take about an hour, same for charging.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:13 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

okay sounds good!

I really didnt see the numbers doing much. The discharge numbers were really low (like 700 and then 100) for a 2400 MAH battery. Also, looks like the voltage rating never drops. It gets down to around 7.60 volts and just sits. The battery says on the back never to allow it to discharge past 5.4, so thats what I set the voltage level at when I set up the discharge.

Also, looks like it can only discharge at a 1.0A rate.

Last edited by AG74683; 09-07-2011 at 07:19 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:52 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Try a few discharge/charge cycles and see what the numbers do. You may have a dead/dieing cell. When the charger stops, check each cell voltage, you may find one lower than the others.

Also, after a cycle, let the pack sit for a while to cool off. Maybe rotate through your packs while waiting.
Something like:
Pack-1, discharge, then charge. When done, go to pack-2, discharge, then charge. Then pack-3 and so on.
Once you've gone through all of them, start with pack-1 again.

Keep some paper around so you can write down numbers for each pack and see what is going on.
I number & date code all my packs so I don't mix them up as well as have an idea how long I've owned them.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Try a few discharge/charge cycles and see what the numbers do. You may have a dead/dieing cell. When the charger stops, check each cell voltage, you may find one lower than the others.
How do I check each individual cell? Im using the battery software that came with the AC6, but it has no readings on individual cells listed.

Seems it can only discharge at 0.7A, no matter if 1.0a is selected.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Depending on the battery pack you have, you should be able to use a voltmeter to measure each cell.
Since a NiCD or NiMH pack has no balance port (unlike a LiPO) the charger only knows total pack voltage.