Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Weird issue with new HH brxl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Weird issue with new HH brxl

So I wired up my first brxl today, and powered it up no problem. Tested throttle, and had to reverse it because of how the motor is sitting on the chassis. Unplugged the battery, did a few things, and plugged the power back on. Now here is where it gets weird. I am running a 4pl, with a brand new receiver. It has power as does the cc bec and servo and winch. Now I cut the red power wire from the receiver connector from the brxl. When I powered it on a second time, there is no throttle input. Nothing. Strange thing is channel 3 which is not in use, shows 100 on the 4pl. So I reset the model and try it again, nothing and channel 3 is still at 100. So I then setup a new model in memory. Power everything on, and it's fine works great. Flip the throttle to reverse. Unplug the battery, plug it back in, and bam, same exact symptoms. What am I doing wrong?

Again I a running power from the battery to the bec, and to the esc, and everything powers up. The esc beeps like normal when it gets power, but there is 0 response.
Now I guess let me confirm I wired to motor up right. The red side goes to the white wire on the esc, and black to black, right? I mean thats what makes sense to me, and again it ran with no issues, till I powered it off. Battery is fully charged 2s lipo 30c
LDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2011, 04:44 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

What does the BEC power?
Normally, if you run the BEC into the RX you remove the red wire between the RX & ESC. Is this what you did?
If you run the BEC to the servo, leave the red wire connected.
The BRXL BEC is a good one, I would run the BEC direct to the servo.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:46 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

The bec powers the receiver and servo. Here is how it's wired. Deans has the esc and bec soldered on, that gets power from the battery. I cut the red receiver wire from the esc like normal. It ran fine on the first power up both times. For some reason it set channel 3 on the 4pl to 100 for the dt, even when there is nothing plugged into that channel.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
Keep it real

Is the motor new? Could be a dead spot on your commutator if it's old. Try spinning the tires a little and see if it works then.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Yah it's a brand new torque master expert 45t.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

so if you eliminate the cc bec, it works fine?

Did you calibrate the throttle settings to speed control - the initial full throttle, full brake, and neutral setting points?

Futabas are funky to calibrate sometimes and also the holmes speed control will stay in calibrate mode "beeping" if not calibrated. And after setup, each time you use it, it may take some time for it to initialize as well. That is a setting you can change with castle link if you want initialize to take longer or be shorter.

Also, it doesn't matter what what color to what color when it comes to the motor leads. They just need to be hooked up so the wheels spin forward when throttle is pulled
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I was going to try that tonight and see. I will try the re calibration thing as well.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:07 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

You could also swap motor wires rather than reversing the ESC or channel in the radio. I dont see a reason why it would make a difference but apparently that is where you are having problems.

Could it be that your neutral point is way off with the channel reversed so it wont arm because it doesnt see neutral when you power it up? First step is always re calibrating.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:11 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Hmm that's a good point, I will try that tonight after work. Maybe flip the throttle to normal, see if there is any movement, then reverse the wires and re calibrate.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!
Old 09-08-2011, 06:24 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Swapped the motor connectors, and put the throttle back to normal, and that resolved my issue.

Thanks guys!
Old 09-08-2011, 07:11 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Had the same issue. Solved it the same way. Still puzzled...
rdcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Yeah it was definitely strange.