RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Alturn USA Servo's (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/335915-alturn-usa-servos.html)

Denus 09-08-2011 12:18 PM

Alturn USA Servo's

Hi,

I bought two servo's for the Bruiser 3speed which I didn't receive yet (grrr!) but I'm a little unsure about my choice.

For the steering, I took this one:
ADS-987HTG+HV / Full Size High Voltage Servo +HS+TG (Ultra High Speed & High Toque)

For the gearbox this baby:
ADS-960HTG / Full Size Racing Digital Servo +TG (High Toque)

The servo's are quite heavy and got a full metal housing (except for the bottom cover), coreless motor, metal/ titanium gears, dual ball bearing...

I'm not familliar with servo's but these ones look quite nice for the money.

So did I made the right choice for my future scale truck?

losikid 09-08-2011 03:19 PM

You need to swap them around, and you'll have an ok setup, but both are not ideal these days.

300oz+ iof torque s minimum these days for crawler steering

SMR 510RR 09-08-2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denus (Post 3269992)
Hi,

I bought two servo's for the Bruiser 3speed which I didn't receive yet (grrr!) but I'm a little unsure about my choice.

For the steering, I took this one:
ADS-987HTG+HV / Full Size High Voltage Servo +HS+TG (Ultra High Speed & High Toque)

For the gearbox this baby:
ADS-960HTG / Full Size Racing Digital Servo +TG (High Toque)

The servo's are quite heavy and got a full metal housing (except for the bottom cover), coreless motor, metal/ titanium gears, dual ball bearing...

I'm not familliar with servo's but these ones look quite nice for the money.

So did I made the right choice for my future scale truck?

I agree you need to reverse them. The ADS-960HTG is way more powerful, use that for steering. I have never heard of that brand before but from what I can see on google you could have got a bit more servo for your money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by losikid (Post 3270208)
You need to swap them around, and you'll have an ok setup, but both are not ideal these days.

300oz+ iof torque s minimum these days for crawler steering

I disagree, 300+ is minimum on a comp rig...This thing is a scaler 200+ is more than enough to get the job done. Hell in 1:1 crawling unless you got some steering upgrades chances are you are going to get yourself into situations where you cant steer.

Grizzly4x4 09-08-2011 06:14 PM

Alturn USA cooperation made in Taiwan :lmao:

Put the stronger servo on the steering. I agree, 200 oz-in is plenty for a scaler.

300 oz-in would shear off the pot metal steering on a Bruiser axle me thinks.

Denus 09-09-2011 10:02 AM

Thanks for the advice, I will check around for a better deal.

Denus 09-09-2011 10:22 AM

I should have taken this one instead for steering:
ADS-986HTG-HV Stall Torque 20.2kg/cm , 270oz/in 24.3kg/cm , 313 oz/in

I will try to do an exchange at the store.

Thanks guys "thumbsup"

SMR 510RR 09-09-2011 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denus (Post 3271446)
I should have taken this one instead for steering:
ADS-986HTG-HV Stall Torque 20.2kg/cm , 270oz/in 24.3kg/cm , 313 oz/in

I will try to do an exchange at the store.

Thanks guys "thumbsup"

I dont think the extra cost is justifiable unless you want some serious steering. Again this is for scalers only, comp rigs are different and you will need all the steering you can get.

In the future check out Hitec and Futaba servos. They are the two biggest servo manufactures so they should be available just about anywhere.

Denus 09-09-2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMR 510RR (Post 3271711)
I dont think the extra cost is justifiable unless you want some serious steering. Again this is for scalers only, comp rigs are different and you will need all the steering you can get.

In the future check out Hitec and Futaba servos. They are the two biggest servo manufactures so they should be available just about anywhere.

I also looked for Futaba and Hitec servos, but they are quite expensive, almost twice the price I paid for the Alturn.

Btw: the ADS-986HTG-HV has the same price as the ADS-987HTG+HV, so if I can do an exchange, it would cost me nothing. It's true that I will not do anything serious with the scaler (no competition), but I want it to be 100% reliable.