Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: I give up. . brushless esc and motor going faster in one direction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default I give up. . brushless esc and motor going faster in one direction

Purchased a speed passion esc combo here on the forum and somehow it goes faster in one direction. If throttle is on REV the reverse will be faster and when on NORMAL the forward will go faster. Im tired of searching and hoping you guys can help me out.
bro_die is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Have you verified everything on your radio is set to zero, then recalibrated your ESC to your radio?
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:41 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

^^^What he said^^^. EPA's if you have them to 100% and throttle trim to 0, then recalibrate the esc.
cherokee95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like there is some advance in the ESC. Check your settings there.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Recalibrated it back to zero but still the same results. It came with a programming card and you can adjust timing and alll but I dont want to mess with it yet. As far as I know in a brushless if on direction is fast then the other direction should at the same speed IF timing wasnt messed around with. Im starting to think speed passion sucks haha.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:21 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

My losi ESC and my Novak ESC in both of my crawlers do the same thing.. It's only a minor difference, but it's there. Tried everything .

Sent from my highly abused iPhone using Tapatalk
madkawi650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:30 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkawi650 View Post
My losi ESC and my Novak ESC in both of my crawlers do the same thing.. It's only a minor difference, but it's there. Tried everything .

Sent from my highly abused iPhone using Tapatalk
This one a significant difference. Lets say one direction will go 10 MPh and the other direction will be cut more than half. ITs driving me nuts.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Try setting the timing to 0...
Old 09-10-2011, 09:44 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Tried timing. I noticed that even swithcing from rev to normal itll be forward faster and reverse slower and switching it again reverse will be faster and forward slower. Its seems to be faster when pushing the throttle like when opposite when pulling the trigger of a gun. Sorry thats my best explaination BUT i know for a fact its not the motor because I hooked up my known woring order velineon and its the same results.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:41 AM   #10
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bro_die View Post
Purchased a speed passion esc combo here on the forum and somehow it goes faster in one direction.
Non-sensored or sensored motor? (three wires from motor to ESC, or three motor wires plus a multi-conductor cable) (is there a port on the motor with several pins in it, and a matching one on the ESC?)

Quote:
If throttle is on REV the reverse will be faster and when on NORMAL the forward will go faster.
Okay..... so did you want one faster than the other? Both the exact same speed?

Quote:
Recalibrated it back to zero but still the same results.
I can only assume your talking about the transmitter (Tx) at this point. So your throttle trim is at zero, and EPA's (if you have them) are at 100% in both directions, and sub-trims (if you have them) are also at zero?

Quote:
It came with a programming card and you can adjust timing and alll but I dont want to mess with it yet. As far as I know in a brushless if on direction is fast then the other direction should at the same speed IF timing wasnt messed around with.
Not entirely true.
On a Velineon, in 'race mode', you're actually in a profile that features forward 100%, and reverse is at 0%. Does your Speed Passion have profiles you can select from? (Perhaps maybe one being 100% forward power and 50% reverse power?)
Also keep in mind if I use my Castle Link to turn the reverse down 50% on my Mamba Monster, then I sell it to you, there are no profiles to choose from, but you'd put it in and find you only had 50% reverse power. Did someone previously program the thing to lowered reverse power?(if that can even be done)
Then there's the subject of mechanical timing. Did someone dial some mechanical advance into that motor (say for maybe a direct drive/pan car application), and now that you're running it in a gearbox application the timing is on the wrong side of center? (again, if that's even possible with this motor)

Quote:
Tried timing.
Just with the field card? (programmed) Or on the motor itself, too? (mechanical)

Quote:
I noticed that even swithcing from rev to normal itll be forward faster and reverse slower and switching it again reverse will be faster and forward slower. Its seems to be faster when pushing the throttle like when opposite when pulling the trigger of a gun.
Huh, wha?
So when your truck is finally going fast forwards and slow reverse (I can only assume that's what you're looking for it to do), in order to make your truck do that you hafta 'push' the throttle trigger? So you're just looking to reverse the rotation of the motor? Does your programming card/box have a selection for that on there? If not, you'd need to go back and answer my first question of is it sensored or not?

Quote:
.....BUT i know for a fact its not the motor because I hooked up my known woring order velineon and its the same results.
Your Velineon could have some mechanical timing built into it as well, and be timed on the wrong side of zero also, so I can't rule that out yet. But it's starting to sound to me like it's in your speed control somewhere. Just need a clearer picture of what you're trying to do.

Quote:
Im tired of searching and hoping you guys can help me out.
Quote:
Im starting to think speed passion sucks haha.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:26 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubble View Post
Non-sensored or sensored motor? (three wires from motor to ESC, or three motor wires plus a multi-conductor cable) (is there a port on the motor with several pins in it, and a matching one on the ESC?)
sensored. forgot to mention this first

Quote:
Okay..... so did you want one faster than the other? Both the exact same speed?
Umm, i wouldnt be asking if it was at the same speed. I want them at the same speed but as of right now on reverse itl travel about a third of the faster speed.

Quote:
I can only assume your talking about the transmitter (Tx) at this point. So your throttle trim is at zero, and EPA's (if you have them) are at 100% in both directions, and sub-trims (if you have them) are also at zero?
Throttle trim at 0 no epa and sub trim. I expiremented with trimming it all the way and all the way down and recalibrate the esc but no amazing result to that.

Quote:
Not entirely true.
On a Velineon, in 'race mode', you're actually in a profile that features forward 100%, and reverse is at 0%. Does your Speed Passion have profiles you can select from? (Perhaps maybe one being 100% forward power and 50% reverse power?)
Also keep in mind if I use my Castle Link to turn the reverse down 50% on my Mamba Monster, then I sell it to you, there are no profiles to choose from, but you'd put it in and find you only had 50% reverse power. Did someone previously program the thing to lowered reverse power?(if that can even be done)
Then there's the subject of mechanical timing. Did someone dial some mechanical advance into that motor (say for maybe a direct drive/pan car application), and now that you're running it in a gearbox application the timing is on the wrong side of center? (again, if that's even possible with this motor)
There are profiles im looking at in the programming card and its set to forward/reverse and brake. Before it was shipped it was reseted using the same programming card.

Quote:
Just with the field card? (programmed) Or on the motor itself, too? (mechanical)
just the card never tried touching the motor yet

Quote:
Huh, wha?
So when your truck is finally going fast forwards and slow reverse (I can only assume that's what you're looking for it to do), in order to make your truck do that you hafta 'push' the throttle trigger? So you're just looking to reverse the rotation of the motor? Does your programming card/box have a selection for that on there? If not, you'd need to go back and answer my first question of is it sensored or not?
My first post was reverse is faster than forward now I messed around with the settings the forward got faster and reverse got slower obviously its opposit because going forward (fast) theres no drag brake and reverse (slow) I can see drag brake activate.

Quote:
Your Velineon could have some mechanical timing built into it as well, and be timed on the wrong side of zero also, so I can't rule that out yet. But it's starting to sound to me like it's in your speed control somewhere. Just need a clearer picture of what you're trying to do.
velineon works perfectly fine with the vxl esc i just used it to see if it was the motor and yes im thinking its the esc itself. Recalibrating it using the directions and turning it on again the truck will just run on its own so I have to use REV not NOR.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:59 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I hate to say it but it sounds like either a ESC setting or radio setting since it does it with 2 different motors.
What radio are you using?? Some radios have throttle trims as well as subtrims, also EPA's. If any of these are different between "forward" & "reverse" you will get what you are seeing now.
Same for the ESC, there can be different profiles for "forward" & "reverse", don't assume the seller got it all right before shipping.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:59 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Updates..... after almost 2 days of messing with it and ive got some results. I got it to a good speed but its all opposite. Instead of pulling trigger for forward im pushing and the truck will go forward and instead of drag brakes activating when forward its on reverse. Lastly, double tap is when im tyring to go forward not on reverse. I tried many many times recalibrating but this is the best results so far. I tried switching from NOR to REV but that doesnt work out. The truck will just go on its own. I will be giving speed passion a call perhaps they can help me out too.
By the way you guys think if i put on a sensorless motor and reverse the teminals itll solve everything. Dont wanna pull the other truck apart and get the same outcome.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:32 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

You can always swap 2 of 3 motor wires to reverse it's rotation.
The "double tap" sounds like you need to do some setting of the ESC to "instant reverse".
Old 09-11-2011, 09:07 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
You can always swap 2 of 3 motor wires to reverse it's rotation.
The "double tap" sounds like you need to do some setting of the ESC to "instant reverse".
Tried it but no luck. Its a sensored esc its just does stupid things like its tyring to turn spur gear but wont turn it. It hink youre talking about sensorless motor.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I think you're talking about sensorless motor.
Ahhh...could be.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #17
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
I got it to a good speed but its all opposite. Instead of pulling trigger for forward im pushing and the truck will go forward and instead of drag brakes activating when forward its on reverse.
Okay, that's what I thought the issue was. Now we just need to figure out how to reverse the rotation of that motor.

Quote:
I will be giving speed passion a call perhaps they can help me out too.
Not a bad idea. Sounds like you're just about almost there, just need to know how to reverse the motor and try to equalize the speeds.

Quote:
Lastly, double tap is when im tyring to go forward not on reverse.
For what it's worth, I found that irritating when I came from my Traxxas trucks to the AX-10. I flipped switches and reversed leads until I got it like I was used to. Then I tried crawling with it, first vertical face I came to, as soon as it started going over on it's back I stabbed reverse, and couldn't double-tap fast enough. Went back to instant reverse, and now I can usually save it from going back over. If this is going into a crawler, you might be better off leaving it that way.

Quote:
I tried switching from NOR to REV but that doesnt work out. The truck will just go on its own.
Recalibrate the ESC after flipping the switch? (Yes, it's a pain, I know, but once you find out how radios work, you'll understand why it needs to be done.)

Quote:
By the way you guys think if i put on a sensorless motor and reverse the teminals itll solve everything. Dont wanna pull the other truck apart and get the same outcome.
Honestly, yes. That's why I was asking if it was sensored, because I was going to suggest exactly that, throw your Velineon in and reverse two leads. Just make sure at least one of the motor leads matches up, and swap the other two (otherwise you're just shifting phases, not really reversing anything)
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:28 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

When you were adjusting the timing with the program card, did you look at any other options?
Option 6 on the Hobbywing based Speed Passion ESCs is Reverse force, and you would want it on the fourth setting for 100%.
Option 11 is supposed to be rotation direction, but it might be related to dynamic timing depending on the model and firmware; check your card to be sure.

If that doesn't help, try disconnecting the sensor harness and run it unsensored, then swap two wires to see if the speed difference changes rather than taking the motor out of another vehicle; swapping wires around in sensored mode is not recommended.
majatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

There must be a way to calibrate the esc to the radio signal. Once you reverse it that is what you need to do and it wont go by itself.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:13 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by majatra View Post
When you were adjusting the timing with the program card, did you look at any other options?
Option 6 on the Hobbywing based Speed Passion ESCs is Reverse force, and you would want it on the fourth setting for 100%.
Option 11 is supposed to be rotation direction, but it might be related to dynamic timing depending on the model and firmware; check your card to be sure.

If that doesn't help, try disconnecting the sensor harness and run it unsensored, then swap two wires to see if the speed difference changes rather than taking the motor out of another vehicle; swapping wires around in sensored mode is not recommended.
Tried disconnecting sensor and swapping leads and it ran the right way BUT very sluggish. I tired leaving it on the sefault setting but still no luck.