Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: A little help b4 I order. MMP Tekin motor?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default A little help b4 I order. MMP Tekin motor?

I have been reading up on these for a few weeks. I still have a few Qs. I am putting this in a trail 1.9 (sometimes 2.2) scx10. I have a brxl/handwound in one and it's great in rocks but when doing long trail running I can't keep it cool and still have the wheel speed I want. I run 3s.

Ok I'm liking what I have read about MMP and Tekin sensored motors. I am looking for a set up that crawls great (as close to the brxl/handwound control as i can) but has haul ass, parts breaking power. I have a losi sensered 13.5 brushless and it stays cool but doesn't have the lowend control that I want, It's great for bashing.

What turn do you guys like for hard crawling and KOH speed? I am leaning torwords the 13.5. But I am still lost on the brushless motors and specs. I am tired of the overheating issues from brushed when trail/KOH running. I'm not easy on my stuff lol

I run the Holmes 3s (HMC 35C 1300mah lipo) will these work ok in this set up?

I am going to run a ccbec. I have a castle link. Is there anything else I need to get?

Your guys feed back/ comments are appreciated!

Last edited by tj on 37s; 09-11-2011 at 02:54 PM.
tj on 37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I run a Tekin RS / 17.5t sensored Redline combo. About 10 degrees can timing. Max turbo @ .5 second delay , with a 3.0 step ramp. Powered with a DLG 20c 4000mah 3s lipo. The setup works very well for trail runs with a 18/87 pinion/spur combo. Only thing I've noticed is the voltage / current drops a bit after a couple speed runs. I've read that when calculating the current output of a battery you have a formula of...

(c rating)x(Amp hour)=max constant amps

With that said...
20x4.0=80 amps constant max
This is on a fresh battery. As you run that number decreases. I get 1.5-2 hour runtimes but only see my real top speed for the first 10 to 15 minutes of a run.

You stated you would be running a 30c 1300mah lipo.
30x1.3=39 amps constant max

Yes they will work. But only for a short time and you won't get the full effect that motor and esc combo can provide.

Just my $.02

Last edited by SC Convert; 09-11-2011 at 03:43 PM.
SC Convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the info sc! I was having An issue with the losi setup cutting out sometimes when doing full throttle hillclimbs/runs across the yard. Do you think that was the batt? A few of my batts are a little bloated now too.
http://www.losi.com/Products/Default...rodID=LOSB9555

Anyone else have info on if this setup is what I'm looking for performance wise? Crawl/ KOH.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:10 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

The puffiness you describe are damaged cells more than likely. Using the formula to find your batteries max continuous draw you need to set your current limiting on your esc accordingly. If not you'll find yourself damaging batteries and needing to replace them. I know the mmp has this ability to do this. As far as Esc's go get the best you can afford. You usually get what you pay for.

No matter what esc you decide to go with make sure your battery has continuous amperage rate to match or better yet exceed the continuous amperage draw of your esc. Doing so will make sure you aren't needlessly replacing damaged lipos.

The esc you linked has a continuous amperage draw of 100A and a burst rate of 540A. Granted this would be if it were pushing it's max motor rating of 3.5t sensored. Even with the 13.5t motor I'm sure it was trying to pull at least 100A most likely more during full throttle. Both above your battery's current rating. There's a good chance that if you continue to run those batteries you will ruin them and run the risk of fire. Granted fire is the worst case cenario I wouldn't want to risk my rig.

Again just my $.02

Last edited by SC Convert; 09-11-2011 at 06:33 PM.
SC Convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Agreed you need better batteries. When your Losi cuts out it's because pack voltage drops below LVC for a short amount of time under the heavy load due to not enough amperage.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:52 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

What batteries would you guys recommend to keep up with the mmp and Tekin 13.5t?

Last edited by tj on 37s; 09-12-2011 at 03:54 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:05 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Small packs (~800mah) you probably need a 40C or higher rating, larger packs (2000mah) a lower "C" rating is fine, but you should stay above a 25C.
Most of the comp guys are running small packs (due to size and the need for only ~6 minutes runtime), thus we run 45C and higher.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:07 PM   #8
RCC Addict

http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-g3-vx...ck-p-4650.html I use these with a 13.5 in my SCX.
http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-g3-vx...ck-p-4539.html allows a little more runtime and amperage.

I wouldn't try any pack that can't burst at least 100 amps. IMO burst rating is more important than continous in a crawler (although many might disagree) due to the fact most of the time we pull very few amps, but when we ask for power (binds/hard digs/full throttle climbs/jump gaps/mud covered tires) we suck a lot from the pack and thats where a high burst comes into play.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Hey Indiana it looks like the packs you posted are (using match from above) 1800/35c = 63, and 2200/35c = 77. And the Holmes packs that I have are 1300/35c = 45.5. I'm lost on how you get the 100a Burst from your packs?

I do plan to be hamming it a lot with this rig so I want to make sure I have the correct batteries for the mmp Tekin 13.5

Bare with me guys I'm still trying to figure all of this out.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:23 PM   #10
RCC Addict

The numbers your getting are the 35C cont. numbers, multiply by 65 (instead of the 35) for the burst numbers on the packs I listed vs 50 (instead of the 35) for the Holmes packs. The Holmes packs burst to 65 amps, less than either pack I listed can continuously supply and less than half what they can deliver in burst.