Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Batteries

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #1

Default Batteries

What Batteries are you guys running in your Crawlers? I am picking up my FxR kit this week and need to know a good LiPo battery that goes well with that setup. Thanks Guys
FuzzyCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2011, 09:54 PM   #2
Proverbial threadkiller

I came over from the 1/12th, 1/10th, and 1/8th scale offroad and short course trucks, so all my packs are stick packs and similarly shaped/sized LiPo's. I just recently made and installed a battery plate on the front axle, but as yet have no smaller sized LiPo packs to run on said plate.
Since I'm still rollin' on the AE-1 speed control, I have to update my powerplant before I can decide which batteries I'll go with. And that ain't happenin' this year, so I see continued use of my 6&7 cell packs for the forseeable future.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:55 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyCrawler View Post
What Batteries are you guys running in your Crawlers? I am picking up my FxR kit this week and need to know a good LiPo battery that goes well with that setup. Thanks Guys
Depends on your application. What kind of rig is this going in? Generally I recommend cheap packs from either www.hobbypartz.com or www.hobbyking.com. Be careful with hobbyking as most of their stuff comes from china so it takes a while to get here. Either of them has decent quality and it is worth it to be able to get 2-4 packs for the price of one name brand pack.

From there just determine how many cells in series you want to run, typically 2-4s but the FXR only goes up to 3s. Then take some measurements and figure out how much room you have to put it in, then find one that matches those dimensions.

Typically for a comp style crawler most people run 800-1200mah packs that will run from 6-10 minutes. In the scale side of things you can find people running from 2000-6000mah packs that will run for up to 2+ hours, it depends on how much room you have and how much weight you want to put in the rig.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:18 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

When you chose your battery take these things into consideration.

What turn motor are you going to be running? 10-34t 2s lipo only 35t and up you can run a 3s lipo.

Are you running a BEC? Onboard BEC is only 3Amps. Any high torque / high voltage servo will require the use of an external BEC.

Do you have a Hotwire module? To access the current limiting function you will need one.

What is the max continuous amperage your battery can safely supply?
To find this use the following formula:
(current rating)x(amp rating)= max continuous amperage draw

Ex: 30c 1600mah lipo
30x1.6=48amps max continuous draw
30c 5400mah lipo
30x5.4=162 amps max continuous draw

Using the current limiting feature on the fx-r via hotwire you can ensure you don't damage your batteries no matter what batteries you choose.

Last edited by SC Convert; 09-11-2011 at 11:24 PM.
SC Convert is offline   Reply With Quote