Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Lipo Cutoff Voltage..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2011, 03:43 AM   #1

Question Lipo Cutoff Voltage..

On the 25A EZRUN BL esc I picked up for my MRC it has several options to program the voltage per cell for the Lipo cut-off.. I'm wondering what the best voltage would be for max run-time + keeping all of my electronics safe.

The options are Non-Protection (bad), 2.6V/cell, 2.8V/cell, 3.0V/cell, 3.2V/cell, and 3.4V/cell.

It comes set at 3.0V/cell, but I think that's a bit high considering that I store my Lipos at 2.8V/cell..

Any input is appreciated, what do the bigger name brand companies cut off at?

Thanks!
VotebanForgotHisPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2011, 04:58 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I've got my sidewinder set at 3.2v/cell.
Goatsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:07 AM   #3

Wow, really? Fully charged is like 3.8v/cell, right?

Is that the normal setting / why so high? (If it is high..)

I know over-discharging Lipos can ruin them, but anything over 3.0v/cell seems a little high to me.. When everything is put together I guess I'll try the stock 3.0v/cell and see how much run time I get / how much the power drops off at the end, I guess if you lose power then that could be a reason to set it higher.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:10 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I set my MMP to cut off at 3.5v per cell and still get lots of run time. I do it for both MMP's I run. My sons slash 2wd and my stampede 4x4.. I'm running a castle SCT2400 setup and it still gets 25 mins on a 5000 mah lipo. Same as my vxl got on same lipo I find anything under 3.5 per. volts and you really notice the power drop. Especially on 2s
My crawler has a Novak ESC and I see about 3.4 left in the cells after each run. Not sure what Novak uses but near the end I have WAY less punch.

Sent from my highly abused iPhone using Tapatalk
madkawi650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:42 AM   #5

Oh wow, I think a tiny portion of that is your battery.. I run 3 cell on stock electronics (except motor) in my night crawler and I change the battery when I notice it dropping. When I recharge them they're generally between 3.1 - 3.2. They're Rhino 1300mAh 3 cell.. Not sure of the C rating because I'm not close to them.

I'm planning a couple hour testing run at one of my favorite spots after the new mini is put together, I'll see if I feel like I lose power at 3.0v/cell, if I do then I'll just turn it up, that's why I bought the field programmer.

I'd like it if more people chimed in with what their ESCs are set at.

Thanks!

Last edited by VotebanForgotHisPW; 09-17-2011 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Typo.. Sleep Deprivation.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:03 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by VotebanForgotHisPW View Post
I'd like it if more people chimed in at what their ESCs are set at.

Thanks!
My CC MM's are set to "3S" (whatever that is in actual voltage), since I comp, I usually change packs between courses thus almost never hit the LVC.
When doing practice runs, the performance just starts to drop off when it hits the LVC.

In my 2.2 MOA, I run 35C/40C 3S 1350 CBP packs.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:15 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VotebanForgotHisPW View Post
It comes set at 3.0V/cell, but I think that's a bit high considering that I store my Lipos at 2.8V/cell..

Any input is appreciated, what do the bigger name brand companies cut off at?

Thanks!
I hope you are kidding or it's a typo that you store your batteries at 2.8V. The normal storage charge is 3.8V.

A fully charged lipo is 4.2V.

All of my cutoffs are set at 3.2V.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:22 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I myself like the 3.0 or in case of a more adjustable unit 2.90. You are still above damaging the cells yet get a decent amount of discharge out of them.
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:56 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

You really dont gain anything by setting it any lower than 3.2...

If you look at a discharge graph the voltage is very steady for a long time and then all of a sudden it falls off. Its not linear like you would expect.

Also you have to realize that if you go to 3.0 and your cells dont discharge evenly then one of them could potentially get overdischarged.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #10
Proverbial threadkiller

I've got my MMM set at 3.4v per cell.
Not sure what voltage my LVA starts flashing blue, but it goes red and slow beeps around 3.2, never left it on long enough to get to the fast beep.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:22 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

2s and 3s lipo voltage cutoff

seems like 3.2 is a good number. 3.4 if you wanna be extra cautious. is that extra little bit of run time worth shortening your battery life or causing a lipo fire on your rig. you never know. personaly i think its better to be safe then, well, you know.
korn_2956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:55 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Agreed.

If you need more run time get a larger capacity pack or get additional packs. Heck, I go to a comp with a minimum of four packs (3S 850mah), one for each course and one to play with after the comp.

Risking a puffed battery or worse is not worth the extra two or three minutes of run time.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:04 PM   #13

Thanks guys! I have 4 Gens Ace 800mAh for my mini, I hear they get "around" 20 minutes run time. I think with that much run time I can cycle packs and stay running as long as my other electronics stay cool!
Old 09-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Another 3.4 setting here. My Oynx charger or Common Sense balancer don't like to work below 3.2, stays extra safe if a cell gets way off.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:55 PM   #15

If your running your lipo down to less than 3 volts per cell under any load it is too low and you are doing damage to the cells .
This may not be apparent straight away but you are damging the cells and the battery will not last as long as it should and may start having troubles with balance between cells etc .

I think 3 volt is even marginal but with our low amp draw systems it is probably fine in the long run .
jaso1 is offline   Reply With Quote