Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 3 or 4 ch for moa comp rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default 3 or 4 ch for moa comp rig

I've got a 3r for everything I have but am going to try out a xr10. I was thinking of going to a 4 ch for a extra winch but changed my mind. Don't really want to try a stick radio and have seen a bunch of guys using the 4 ch. I've got scaler friends who have gone to the MT4 and love it and see comp guys using the futaba's. I'm having a problem with the cost of the receivers Or since I'm a newbie I can just stick with my 3r Thanks
fvrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvrr View Post
I've got a 3r for everything I have but am going to try out a xr10. I was thinking of going to a 4 ch for a extra winch but changed my mind. Don't really want to try a stick radio and have seen a bunch of guys using the 4 ch. I've got scaler friends who have gone to the MT4 and love it and see comp guys using the futaba's. I'm having a problem with the cost of the receivers Or since I'm a newbie I can just stick with my 3r Thanks
4ch is the way on an moa. If you don't like the price of the Futaba stuff take a look at a hacked GT3b from losikid. The radio is in the $70 range and receivers are less than $10. I could not be happier with mine and it does all a crawler needs and then some
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
RCC Addict

If you decide on a stick the DX6i, you can get $8 Orange Receivers from Hobby King. They work flawless! Better then spending $75 per.
Abavuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:48 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

"If" you decide on Futaba (what my son & I run) here's the lwodown.

1-3PM-x (my TX) can work, but I use a WannAmix to run dual ESC's. I used to run a servo dig but like the WannAmix better. LosiKid now sells/supports the WannAmix.

2-4PL (my sons TX) is easy to setup for dual ESC's. Harley has also "convinced" Futaba to add some crawler specific programming that makes the TX even better.

Both radios have support threads here covered by Harley and if it's not in the thread somewhere, Harley (or others) will help out.

The LosiKid hacked GTB's seem to be a great value & he does well supporting it and has a thread that covers almost anything.

I just happen to be a Futaba fan and have not had equipment issues although it's not "cheap" they are great radios.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

im going to be running a 3r with the wantamix from losikid on my bully w/duel fxr's. there is a video on youtube that shows how to set up specifically the dx3r for dig using the wantamix. my .02
Chappy4o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy4o View Post
im going to be running a 3r with the wantamix from losikid on my bully w/duel fxr's. there is a video on youtube that shows how to set up specifically the dx3r for dig using the wantamix. my .02
If you want then to fight, then they are "duel", if you want them to work together on a single rig, they are "dual".

Sorry, I had to......
Old 09-17-2011, 10:01 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

thats funny as He double hockey sticks!!
K1llerRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:12 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Just to be clear you only need 3 channels to run dual ESC's...

One for steering
One for front motor
One for rear motor

I think people get confused because of the 4pk(s) and 4pl, there is really no use for the extra channel in comp crawling but its nice to have if you run scalers also.

The hacked GT3B seems like the best way to go unless you are made of money.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:16 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
Just to be clear you only need 3 channels to run dual ESC's...

One for steering
One for front motor
One for rear motor

I think people get confused because of the 4pk(s) and 4pl, there is really no use for the extra channel in comp crawling but its nice to have if you run scalers also.

The hacked GT3B seems like the best way to go unless you are made of money.

You better not tell my super it does not need 4 channels. BUT, the advantage of the 4pk is the mixing options available. The swap meet radios cannot do all the things the 4pk can do when it comes to mixing.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:37 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
You better not tell my super it does not need 4 channels. BUT, the advantage of the 4pk is the mixing options available. The swap meet radios cannot do all the things the 4pk can do when it comes to mixing.
The 4PL also does mixing. It doesn't have all the display options of the 4PK, but the rest is good for a lot less money. My son runs a 4PL on a 2.2 Bully MOA with dual ESC's.
As to 3 channel radios, you will likely need a mixer of some sort like the WannAmix (sold by LosiKid) or one of his hacked GTB's. Either is preferable to a 3 channel & a dig unit.
I run a Futaba 3PM-x with a WannAmix, also on a 2.2 Bully with dual CC ESC's.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Thanks for the input guys. I might also be leaning towards a telemetry (mt4) for the losi fiveT
fvrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:09 PM   #12
Got Worms?

Quote:
What mixing can a 4pk do that a gt3b can't do...i'll make sure if the gt3b can't do something it will do it.

I've put a TON of time into getting mixiing in the GT3B top notch, i am actually working on making it more advance and more options, for those who like hacking into their radio. I envision a time when people will be building radios for them, and not buying a off the shelf version, as a one size fits all type deal)
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:18 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
What mixing can a 4pk do that a gt3b can't do...i'll make sure if the gt3b can't do something it will do it.

I've put a TON of time into getting mixiing in the GT3B top notch, i am actually working on making it more advance and more options, for those who like hacking into their radio. I envision a time when people will be building radios for them, and not buying a off the shelf version, as a one size fits all type deal)

I have no idea what a gt3b is cpable of. But, when I was at nationals last weekend I saw a whole bunch of futaba 4pk/4pl radios. I did not see anyone with a gt3b in the top 5 for sure. It may be a great radio to someone who does not want to buy a 4pk/4pl, but you are kidding yourself if you think they are on the same level.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:35 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy4o View Post
got the same setup and it works flawlessly........priced right ....you allready have a 3R
scorpion_ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:49 PM   #15
Got Worms?

Quote:
I have no idea what a gt3b is cpable of. But, when I was at nationals last weekend I saw a whole bunch of futaba 4pk/4pl radios. I did not see anyone with a gt3b in the top 5 for sure. It may be a great radio to someone who does not want to buy a 4pk/4pl, but you are kidding yourself if you think they are on the same level.
Performance wise, no. The futaba's transimit faster, have a higher channel resolution. They are also more ergonomic and user friendly. BUT features wise for what a crawler needs the gt3b will do what you want it to. I almost want to say you have more options when programming your switches that the 4pk when it comes to crawler stuff...from what i've read in the manual this is true, but i haven't gone too indepth or really researched it hard. BUT if there is anything a futaba radio can do, that a gt3b can't on a crawler. Let me know, and i'll do my best to get that feature/function on the gt3b.

If a hacked gt3b and a 4pks was the same price, i'd take the 4pks. BUT were talking 100's of dollars of difference.

Also, what other ground radio has 8 channels?

PS: I'm working on getting the gt3b to futaba performance, so it'll just be lacking ergonomics and user friendlyness Which can't be fixed, BUT flysky has released a new radio which i think hacked, has the potential to compete with the 4pks head on. BUT theres no details (just pics) on the radio so its hard to guesstimate on what can be done
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:56 AM   #16
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvrr View Post
I'm having a problem with the cost of the receivers
4PL RX's are had for $30-40. The quality of the Futaba radios is unmatched.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:06 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Default Re: 3 or 4 ch for moa comp rig

Where do I get one of these wannAmix deals?
helistyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:51 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by helistyles View Post
Where do I get one of these wannAmix deals?
https://overkillrc.3dcartstores.com/wantAmix_c_19.html
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:24 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

They haven't been available for quite some time. The hacked gt3c really is incredible! The instructions he provides with the hack kit are very clear, and it has way more functionality than I know what to do with!!
Turtlejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:50 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Thank you
helistyles is offline   Reply With Quote