Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Haha brushless newbie lol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Haha brushless newbie lol

So I'm Larry and I'm a newb to brushless........ Lol so I got a vxl 3s velineon system and it gets fun and a bit warm and I know about the lower pinion and fans/fins heat sink but could I switch the motor out for another different brushless and would that keep it from getting warm? Or is that a esc thing? Also hobbypartz.......... Lots of motors........ Any input from the $30-$40 ish range of them? I kinda know higher kv means speed? And lower is torque?
I tried reading the sticky but it kept just talking about how awesome the outrunner motor is but not how it works or what the essentials of brushless is.
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Also what brand of brushless motors from hobbypartz is good? None of them I recognize other than integy
Old 09-19-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

from hobbypartz ive run the tacon motors with great results. ive run the 4420kv and i think 3900kv or whatever it is and for the price are great but not quite as good as my castle (big surprize). i would highly reccomend them for a budget motor
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Awesome thank you, are they sensorless or not? Because I know the velineon system is not and can the two work together or is that a no go?
Old 09-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

X2 on Tacon motors from hobbypartz. I run a 3650 3500KV Tacon in my Slash and it's been great.
forbid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

The Velineon is both sensored and sensorless; the Auxiliary port is for the sensor.

Avoid using outrunners with the VXL, they won't get much top end. The VXL is built for 2 pole motors only, and outrunners are more than 2 poles. So avoid 4 pole inrunner motors too.

There are lots of things to consider here.
What are you using this for? What's your driving style? What vehicle is it going in? Will a bigger motor fit?
If you're crawling, you'll want high torque and sensored for low speed control. If you're just bashing around then the Traxxas motor is probably all the speed you need, but you just want to keep it cooler.
Also, do you want to keep the same pinion and spur?

Since you mentioned Hobbypartz, the Tacon motors there offer good bang for the buck. Look at their 1/10th 3650 size motors if you want to use the same pinion. The 3660 and bigger Tacons have 5mm shafts and you would need a new pinion plus eletrical connectors as they are 4mm, not 3.5mm as on the VXL. I really think you won't see much improvement over the Traxxas motor with a Tacon 3650 as you would either lose speed to lose heat, or pick up heat to gain speed.

The EZRun 3665 - 3500kv 10T (http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-ezrun-...lue-motor.html) is a little more money than what you seemed to want to spend, but its a longer motor (65mm vs 50mm) so it should have more torque and dissipate heat better than the Velineon motor and would really be the only step-up from the Velineon to use the same pinion. It might be too long to fit what you are doing though.

So you've got shaft/pinion size, connector size, number of poles, motor size, turns (or kv) all to consider, plus anything I left out.
Maybe just gear down instead or buy a heatsink?
majatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:25 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by majatra View Post
The Velineon is both sensored and sensorless; the Auxiliary port is for the sensor.

Avoid using outrunners with the VXL, they won't get much top end. The VXL is built for 2 pole motors only, and outrunners are more than 2 poles. So avoid 4 pole inrunner motors too.

There are lots of things to consider here.
What are you using this for? What's your driving style? What vehicle is it going in? Will a bigger motor fit?
If you're crawling, you'll want high torque and sensored for low speed control. If you're just bashing around then the Traxxas motor is probably all the speed you need, but you just want to keep it cooler.
Also, do you want to keep the same pinion and spur?

Since you mentioned Hobbypartz, the Tacon motors there offer good bang for the buck. Look at their 1/10th 3650 size motors if you want to use the same pinion. The 3660 and bigger Tacons have 5mm shafts and you would need a new pinion plus eletrical connectors as they are 4mm, not 3.5mm as on the VXL. I really think you won't see much improvement over the Traxxas motor with a Tacon 3650 as you would either lose speed to lose heat, or pick up heat to gain speed.

The EZRun 3665 - 3500kv 10T (http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-ezrun-...lue-motor.html) is a little more money than what you seemed to want to spend, but its a longer motor (65mm vs 50mm) so it should have more torque and dissipate heat better than the Velineon motor and would really be the only step-up from the Velineon to use the same pinion. It might be too long to fit what you are doing though.

So you've got shaft/pinion size, connector size, number of poles, motor size, turns (or kv) all to consider, plus anything I left out.
Maybe just gear down instead or buy a heatsink?
Wow you are my new favorite newb on this site( I think I'm the newb now though lol) but ya I bought the 12 teeth pinion to help and when I get paid I'm planning on getting the fans for both esc and motor. not much in to racing tracks. I'd rather take it to a park or short grass field for top speed stuff or to a skate park for some high flying lol also I had stated that this is a slash 4x4, I got rpm a arms and the 12t pinion on it. Running stock tires but been wondering what a good tire would be for gravel/grass/ cement/pavement?