RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Pictures of your Deans connections please! (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/337942-pictures-your-deans-connections-please.html)

AG74683 09-19-2011 09:09 PM

Pictures of your Deans connections please!

Just to make sure Im doing this right.

My do you guys solder the positive plug on the outside or inside of the post (away from or towards the negative?)

I put mine on the outside, looks okay I suppose but my store bought deans charging plug looks quite a bit different!

Thanks

AreCee 09-19-2011 09:24 PM

It doesn't really make a difference as long as the polarity is correct ans soldered properly. Once the shrink tube is on you can't see much.

I only solder 12gauge or larger on the outside and 14gauge or smaller on the inside.

AG74683 09-19-2011 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AreCee (Post 3286962)
It doesn't really make a difference as long as the polarity is correct ans soldered properly. Once the shrink tube is on you can't see much.

I only solder 12gauge or larger on the outside and 14gauge or smaller on the inside.

I did 12 gauge on both posts, does that matter?

Seems to run okay, got worried I may have fried the battery but I got lucky and it works. I used the male on female end trick to ensure nothing warped, but forgot to take the male end off after soldering, my jig touched both ends of that and sparks flew. Just ran the truck outside though and it seems fine.

Little disappointed in the Lipo though, I was expecting to see a drastic change, but not really seeing it. I still gotta wire up my 5s though :shock:

SMR 510RR 09-19-2011 10:31 PM

The best part about lipo is that they maintain voltage for a long time. Other batteries drop more voltage sooner, you will have almost full power until the LVC hits.

10v is 10v and 20v is 20v no matter where the voltage is coming from.

constantmotion 09-20-2011 10:13 AM

If you look that the solder post on the Deans plug, they are offset to one side. I usually solder the wire on the inside of the post. This keeps the wire more towards the center of the plug and the outside. Looks a little neater.

btoungette 09-20-2011 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AG74683 (Post 3287029)
I did 12 gauge on both posts, does that matter?

You want the same gauge wire on both the positive and negative posts. What AreCee was describing is the placement on that particular post (the smaller gauges are easier to solder on the inside of that post). I don't think it's a good idea to use different gauge wires on the same device.

AreCee 09-20-2011 12:34 PM

Right. On the crawlers I usually use 14 or 16 gauge wire (18 gauge on the mini).

On the off road racers I use 12 gauge for mod and 14 for stock.

Regardless I use the same gauge per model.

AG74683 09-20-2011 02:51 PM

I'll try soldering from the inside of the post now. I guess in the end Im heat shrinking the posts anyways so it really shouldnt matter.

12g is a bit tough to solder on the inside, but it can be done!

I ended up heat shrinking the posts individually, covering that in silicon, and then slipping on a larger piece of heat shrink and shrinking that around the deans and wires. Looks good and I think it'll be mostly waterproof that end.