Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Holmes hobbies for speed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #1

Default Holmes hobbies for speed

Which HH motor would be the best for high dirt slinging wheel speed for off road trails and hill climbing? Low speed rock climbing isn't a issue. I use a 2 cell 25c 5000kv lipo honcho kit.
klcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I would go with a brushless motor. Even one of those finned 380 hobbywing motors will give you quite a bit of power. A high powered brushed motor is going to require alot of maintenance.

I ran the 3000kv version in my honcho for abit, and it had really nice wheel speed, and was more torque-y than my 35t brushed motor on 3s. Only problem is you can't crawl slowly, which was getting really annoying so i switched it out.
Stregone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

PM the man himself...he is a really cool guy and will help you out in any electrical situation
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stregone View Post
I would go with a brushless motor. Even one of those finned 380 hobbywing motors will give you quite a bit of power. A high powered brushed motor is going to require alot of maintenance.

I ran the 3000kv version in my honcho for abit, and it had really nice wheel speed, and was more torque-y than my 35t brushed motor on 3s. Only problem is you can't crawl slowly, which was getting really annoying so i switched it out.
You switched back to the 35 turn brushed? Also what kind of maintenance are we talking about with brushed?

I just don't know, there are so many options to go with and ill start to like a setup then ill read somewhere on the forums that they had problems with that setup then I change my mind and it never ends I just can't make up my mind on what to get.

First i wanted the velineon 3500 setup then I started reading that a lot of peoples esc got fried, so I changed my mind. Then I was going to get the novak goat but read you need a battery higher than 25c. The only battery I got is a 25c 2c lipo, and there esc can't take any kind of damp water or condensation so I change my mind again. My budget is around $165 for a esc motor combo. So now I'm on HH system.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
Suck it up!

If you just want to go fast, brushless is the way to go, especially if you're going to go fast and get dirty/muddy/sandy.

You can go fast and get dirty with brushed, but it'll require more attention on your part to keep the motor clean and healthy. Brushless motors are more or less sealed from the elements, brushed are not.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

There is no perfect system. What rig is it, and do you want to crawl?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #7
TN State Champ 11,12,13

I have a question for you John?

I'm looking for a esc/motor combo for the wraith. I currently have the stock motor with a Tekin rs on a 3s. The speed is great but, there is no drag brake with the rs. I'm sure the stock motor is going to burn out soon on 3s. I've been checking out options on your site. Would the rock racer combo with a 21 turn motor on your site give me the wheel speed of the stock motor on 3s? What would the difference be if I went with the crawl master 16t and brxl? Will you have more crawl masters in stock soon?
Thanks for your advice
Pdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #8
dnf

keeping a brushed motor cleaned really isnt all that hard,and is worth learning IMO.

also IMO brushed is better for an alla round trail truck.

I would consider one of the 27t machine wound motors john has....they wont last long though at the selling price.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:58 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by klcrawler View Post
Which HH motor would be the best for high dirt slinging wheel speed for off road trails and hill climbing? Low speed rock climbing isn't a issue. I use a 2 cell 25c 5000kv lipo honcho kit.
You could go with a mamba max pro combo. They have up to 9000kv area. I've seen the 7700kv in a foff rig and it halls a$$ for a scx. The mamba isn't waterproof but he's splashed water on it and hasn't went out yet (not recomending doin this) the combos you can pick up all day long for $180 and sometimes you can get a sale on the for $160 just keep looking. I haven't had the honors to run the br-xl yet in one of his awesome motors but, from what I've heard and seen, HH would be the way to go. Can be waterproofed from him, 6s lipo, no motor limit (single) and has a great bec all for $98 non waterproof and $108 waterproofed. I myself need to learn brushed motor cleaning and fixing better.
muddinscx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I'm running a 14t HH Cobalt Puller/BR-XL combo on 6s. The rig is an 8 1/2 pound EB. On 2.2's running Pro Line TSL's the truck pulls the front wheels off the ground and the wheel speed is pretty darn fast! Had to switch to Rok-Lox tires as the TSL's ripped at the bead. All that and this combo can crawl!!! I'm sure John can hook u up with something that will help you go fast and crawl in one rig. Only thing is, gotta beef up the trans and axles, but that's the price we pay to have fun.
tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
There is no perfect system. What rig is it, and do you want to crawl?
It will be for the scx10 honcho i got the MIP driveshaft and Robinson gears. I'm going to use the rig for trails and some hill climbing, not so much slow crawling. I just don't want the rig to be slow but I don't expect it to go crazy fast cause its just not built for that.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #12
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

A good starting point would be a 27t TorqueMaster or 13t Crawlmaster. That will be plenty of speed for the rig. If you want more drag brake and off the line punch choose the torquemaster, if you want more low speed control and fine throttle feel use the crawlmaster.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:27 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I just received my HH torque master pro 20T,on 3s this motor is fast enough.Big difference from stock 20t on 2s. overall very happy with the motor!
Erbing is offline   Reply With Quote