Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: drag brake wtf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default drag brake wtf

ok well i am at a complete and total loss. I have a dx3e radio, integy 35 turn motor and sv2 speed control. I have tried a integy 55t, 45t, and now the 35t and drag brake and actual brake turn all the way up, also switched speed controls from a micro castle esc.. I have great drag brake when heading down hill forward but when i head down backward it just rolls. I am at a complete and total loss on what to do. any thoughts peoples please help!
SILVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Make sure your speed control is calibrated with the radio and that there is no throttle trim dialed in on the radio. Sounds like the speed control is not getting a good neutral signal.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboof View Post
Make sure your speed control is calibrated with the radio and that there is no throttle trim dialed in on the radio. Sounds like the speed control is not getting a good neutral signal.
+1

Make sure all your throttle trims are at zero. Sometimes if you have your radip set to adjust their values via little thumb switch, you can easily foul up the settings if you aren't paying attention.

BTW. what micro castle esc did you switch from? i'm looking for one
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Default esc

radio is set up correct and it still has roll back issues. it was a sidewinder micro but i sent it down the road earlier today... im beginning to think that it is integy im having no issues with a similar set up on my other crawler with a holmes motor.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:05 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I still think it's a radio/ESC issue if it works forward but not reverse.
You can also try increasing the brush spring pressure (new/longer brushes, or heavier brush springs) or closing the pinion/spur gear mesh to add mechanical brake.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:06 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Removing backlash from the spur/pinion only increases friction causing the motor to get hotter faster and doesn't really do much for the drag brake (though the increased friction may help).

Are you using a Castle link to adjust that SV2? The link provides a crawler drag brake that you can't get by the stick programming.

Last edited by AreCee; 09-24-2011 at 10:08 AM.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
Removing backlash from the spur/pinion only increases friction causing the motor to get hotter faster and doesn't really do much for the drag brake (though the increased friction may help).

Are you using a Castle link to adjust that SV2? The link provides a crawler drag brake that you can't get by the stick programming.
I agree that "cramming" the gears together fixes one issue but creates others, going just a little tighter than normal can help though.
But it's still a band-aid.

I still stand by my comment of it's a setting issue (radio or ESC) since the drag brake works in one direction..........
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:37 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Default hmm

ok ill try the radio set up again and yes i am using a castle link. i will play with it more and try to set up something and will post again
Old 10-05-2011, 07:07 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Default supa fix

well i have gone all out with the fix, sv2 speed control, overdrive and underdrive gears, 35 turn motor with 83 t - 14 t drive gears, swamper tires, aluminum wheels and lots of weight in the front! no more sliding back wards!