Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Storing Lipos Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2011, 03:40 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Storing Lipos Problem

I've always had been keeping in good practice when it comes to caring for my batteries. If I don't use my lipos for 2 or more weeks I will store them with the "Lipo Store" function on my Hyperion EOS0606i...which to my understanding keeps them half charged.

But for some reason lately this month almost all of them took a dump on me when charging. One of the cells were always too low so I would have to charge it in NiMH mode for a little over a min before charging in lipo mode as the Hyperion chargers require the balance tap to be in when charging.

I was able to rescue a lot of my higher C rating batteries this way...but some Turnigys just didn't make it.

Is it really necessary to store your lipos at half state? I have no idea what is going on...all of my lipos are only a bit over a year old.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2011, 07:45 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Life on any battery is not just time, but also cycles. It's possible they have a lot of cycles on them and they died from that.

I usually store at full charge, but I also don't tend to let them sit unused for more than a few weeks.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

4 of the larger capacity packs were only run one cycle. 2 of them had to be "boosted" in NiMH mode to get it to balance/charge in lipo mode.

The packs are so fresh they are hard as a brick and stickers/colors look brand new. One is 5300mah 3s 30C Gens Ace...the other is a 5000mah 3s 30C Sky Lipo.

Another was a 4000mah 2s 25C Dynamite which seen about 5 complete cycles.

I think I'll keep them fully charged.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:32 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

It sounds like perhaps just an imbalanced condition exists with them. The answer to an imbalanced pack is almost always the same, balance the pack.
floogldood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:11 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Lipos should be stored at 3.7 to 3.8 volts per cell. Leaving them stored full or completely drained for more than a couple of weeks will ruin the lipo chemistry.

If you are having a problem with all of your batteries, all of a sudden, I would try a different charger.

Last edited by Turn'Nburn; 09-29-2011 at 07:14 AM.
Turn'Nburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:17 AM   #6
cherry bomb

i've had MANY lipo's and store them fully charged, never had an issue with any of them.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:52 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by floogldood View Post
It sounds like perhaps just an imbalanced condition exists with them. The answer to an imbalanced pack is almost always the same, balance the pack.
His 1st post seems to indicate he always balance charges them.

It's possible the OP has a group of packs that all have a weak cell.

OP, have you checked the before/after cell voltages? Are they all pretty close to each other within a pack?
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:05 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred0000 View Post
i've had MANY lipo's and store them fully charged, never had an issue with any of them.
You might be willing to take that risk, but i'm not. If it were a non-issue then chargers wouldn't even have a storage charge function nor would the battery manufacturers warnings be present. Regardless, no matter which type of battery you run, the life of the battery depends on how you care for it. Except possibly for the new LiFe batteries which seem to be extremely durable.
Turn'Nburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
His 1st post seems to indicate he always balance charges them.

It's possible the OP has a group of packs that all have a weak cell.

OP, have you checked the before/after cell voltages? Are they all pretty close to each other within a pack?
Many times balancing is a far cry from a balance charge. Regardless , if the pack is imbalanced it needs to be balanced. Your question is a good one to the OP.
floogldood is offline   Reply With Quote