Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Has anyone experienced Servo "Shiver"?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Has anyone experienced Servo "Shiver"?

I was running my 1/10 when i noticed my steering get slightly slow to respond with bouts of no response, then all of a sudden the servo wouldn't respond at all, i checked my connection to my bec , unplugged and replugged. Now servo responds but has a ridiculous shivering and glitch noise when i turn it on. Anyone experienced this? I have a 7950 brand new connected directly to bec.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Last edited by atracys; 09-28-2011 at 09:50 AM.
atracys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by atracys View Post
I was running my 1/10 when i noticed my steering get slightly slow to respond with bouts of no response, then all of a sudden the servo wouldn't respond at all, i checked my connection to my bec , unplugged and replugged. Now servo responds but has a ridiculous shivering and glitch noise when i turn it on. Anyone experienced this? I have a 7950 brand new connect directly to bec.

Any help would be most appreciated!
Sounds like a damaged pot. Hitec is a great company to deal with and have repairs done. They are pretty quick and a lot cheaper than buying a new servo. Just get online fill out the form and send your servo in to them. Depending on age they may warranty it and repair for free
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:59 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandcrawler View Post
Sounds like a damaged pot. Hitec is a great company to deal with and have repairs done. They are pretty quick and a lot cheaper than buying a new servo. Just get online fill out the form and send your servo in to them. Depending on age they may warranty it and repair for free
Thanks! Don't mind me asking what's a "Damaged pot"? Also just noticed my servo get super hot....
Old 09-28-2011, 10:11 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Search for "7950" in the thread title in this forum, you are not the first to have this.

The "pot" is a potentiometer, it's a variable resistor that tells the servo control where it is.

As mentioned, get the form, fill it out, send the servo in. It takes about 2 weeks to get back to you.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Search for "7950" in the thread title in this forum, you are not the first to have this.

The "pot" is a potentiometer, it's a variable resistor that tells the servo control where it is.

As mentioned, get the form, fill it out, send the servo in. It takes about 2 weeks to get back to you.

Thanks Charlie very much appreciated! I will do that. thanks!
Old 09-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I've done a search and found quite a lot of info. I was wondering if anyone here can share with me what could have caused a new servo to have this problem?
Old 09-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

No matter what you buy there's gonna be a percentage of failures unless its a vexliar.
korn_2956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I've done a search and found quite a lot of info. I was wondering if anyone here can share with me what could have caused a new servo to have this problem?
-Bad unit/bad luck
-EPA's not set correctly
-Overvolting the servo

Just searching for 7950 in the thread title should show 2 main threads that cover a lot of info and problems HiTec found when they returned the servos.
Don't just search for 7950, thread title only to limit the threads returned.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:31 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Welcome to owning a HiTec! In all seriousness, I had multiple 645MGs back in the day do this same thing, just something I noticed with them.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post
Welcome to owning a HiTec! In all seriousness, I had multiple 645MGs back in the day do this same thing, just something I noticed with them.
Dang, do you have a recommendation for a better model with the same imprint? Or a separate brand altogether. For the 7950 that is...

Last edited by atracys; 09-28-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:08 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Dang, do you have a recommendation for a better model with the same imprint? Or a separate brand altogether. For the 7950 that is...
No, HiTecs are very good servos for the most part, I've only had a few do the wiggle dance and they had been nice and used. I would send it in like others have mentioned, they are pretty good about getting them back quick.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:39 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post
No, HiTecs are very good servos for the most part, I've only had a few do the wiggle dance and they had been nice and used. I would send it in like others have mentioned, they are pretty good about getting them back quick.
Roger that! Tks!
Old 09-28-2011, 05:13 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I had a 7954 develop the "shudders" whenever it was underwater. As a result of my inadequate waterproofing, moisture got on the potentiometer, and my warranty was invalid.

So I tore it apart and found the "pot" under the stack of gears. I completely dissasembled the servo and thoroughly cleaned everything with electronics cleaner. After reassembling with much dielectric grease it is still going strong 3 monthes later.

But the gears are developing a little play now because of all the bashing the servo horn takes.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote