Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Newbie sort of question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2011, 07:41 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Newbie sort of question.

I just finished reassembling the rear axle of my XR10. I had it apart just to re grease everything and check tightness of screws etc. When I got everything back together, I put the wheels back on to make sure everything was moving freely without resistence. The wheels spun 2-3 full rotations with no binding and little resistence, and then the resistence increased signifigantly. The movement was still smooth, it just took a lot of force to spin the wheels. I removed the wheels, openned the inspection cover on the tranny case, and double checked the pinnion mesh... everything was still good there.

I put everything back together again, and had a second try... same results.

What I think is happening is that since the motor is connected to the ESC, the motor is acting as a generator. The capacitor is holding the built up charge, and sending just enough back to the motor to give the magnets some life.

Is this sound reasoning?

I hope some electronic gurus chime in, I'm 99.9% sure that this isn't a mechanical problem, as I've double checked everything.

Thanks for the help.
eisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2011, 07:52 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

You are not spinning the motor fast enough to have it act as a generator, even if you were, it would take a number of rotations to do anything.
Did you try removing one motor lead, that should prove it is not what you're guessing.

BTW, the motor magnets are "permanent magnets", thus they are not dependent on power for them to work.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Well, I unplugged the motor from the esc, and everything spun freely and easily. Only very little effort to spin the wheels. I plugged the motor back into the esc, and the same thing happenned: 2-3 easy wheel rotations, then the resistence ramped up. There is a roughly 40-1 gear reduction, so spinning the wheels is actually moving the motor pretty fast. I don't have a battery connected BTW.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
Official Cook of the ECC

My MOA does the same thing, spinning one axle by hand can actually cause the other axle to turn sometimes, nothing to wory about.

Motor is generating some sort of current.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:41 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattman View Post
My MOA does the same thing, spinning one axle by hand can actually cause the other axle to turn sometimes, nothing to wory about.

Motor is generating some sort of current.
Cool, thanks for the advise... I wasn't super worried, I just wanted to know if my logic was sound.