Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Charger Question (Onyx 230)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Charger Question (Onyx 230)

I have an Onyx 230 by duratrax, I need to know what I need to charge lipo's safely and how to do so. I'm pretty much a lipo noob.

I'd like to keep this charger, it says it can charge lipo but it doesn't have a balancer port, do you have to balance while charging, or can you do it after charged? I I need to get a different charger, I already have a power supply from pyramid that supplies 270 watts. If I need a new charger I would like to stay under $100.

Thanks for any help!
swezy207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

You would need a balancer, your LHS should be able to help you get the right one. I've used the Astro "Blinky" balancer with no ill effects. You'll have to get on that fits your Lipo's balancing plug.
Devil Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

For the fastest/safest charge, charge @ "1C", basically the mah of the pack divided by 1000...thus a 2000mah pack charges at 2A, a 875 pack charges at .87A.......
Most packs should charge in an hour.

A balance charger is the best way to go all the time.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I have been using the same charger for a few years without any issues, I like having the ability of programming the charging currents. I use an external LiPo balancer that I got from Holmes Hobbies.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
I have been using the same charger for a few years without any issues, I like having the ability of programming the charging currents. I use an external LiPo balancer that I got from Holmes Hobbies.

X2, I have the same charger and it has served me great over the last couple years. I just use a balancer every 4th charge or so.
khwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
Jus
I wanna be Dave

You need an external balancer. I use the Astro *Blinky* balancer while I charge. My Onyx 230 works great for charging lipo. Everything is setup manually so just be extra careful on your charge settings. It will automatically set your charge rate @ 1C after you enter in your battery MAH capacity. So if you put in 5000mah it will set it at 5 amp charge. If the balancer can't keep up or takes a long time after charging to balance with a particular battery I'll charge at a slower rate to keep the balancer from getting so far behind.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the help guys. Anyone know much about the balancer on hobbypartz? There out of stock, there on eBay also for about $18. It's the 3 in 1 LCD balancer.

Ive heard of the blinky ones, and common sense ones. Do they all balance while charging? Just plug it to the battery?

Thanks
swezy207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:48 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
You need an external balancer. I use the Astro *Blinky* balancer while I charge. My Onyx 230 works great for charging lipo. Everything is setup manually so just be extra careful on your charge settings. It will automatically set your charge rate @ 1C after you enter in your battery MAH capacity. So if you put in 5000mah it will set it at 5 amp charge. If the balancer can't keep up or takes a long time after charging to balance with a particular battery I'll charge at a slower rate to keep the balancer from getting so far behind.
Just pick up a blinky, and the adapter you need for your balancing tap and be done with it.

I've had the same charger using a blinky with 2 turnigy 2200mah batts balancing every charge. they have lasted me a year and a half, still take 2100mah, and balance every time.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #9

Default Re: Charger Question (Onyx 230)

I have a question about this same charger.

I am charging Turingy Lipos, 5000 mha 2 cell at 5.0 amp (1c) and the safety timeout is set to 120mins and it will time out everytime before it fully charges. I use an electrifly equinox lipo balancer while charging.

I thought that maybe the batteries were way out of balance before charging and the extra time came from balancing them but the cells are 3.72 and 3.73 before charging.

Is there something wrong with my batteries that they take so long to charge? or maybe the charger?
breese627 is offline   Reply With Quote