Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Dual motors in a scaler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 04:48 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Dual motors in a scaler

Thinking of an idea to run in my scaler. Not sure if it would work but thought i'd see if its been done before or any thoughts on it if no-one has tried it.

Instead of using a heavy summit tranny, i would have 2 motors on an Axial tranny, one a 25t and a 45t. They would run off an FXR but also a Punk dig setup so one channel could control the 25t, the other the 45t. They wouldn't run together for obvious reasons, i'd have the controller programmed to run either motor only at a time like an electric 2 speed.

Any thoughts on this? I realise the brushed would wear quicker on the 45t but figure the 45t would just be free-spinning when the 25t is in use.

Cheers Steve.
1tuff40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2011, 05:09 AM   #2
Hoof Hearted?

In order for that to work, I would imagine you would have to deactivate the drag brake to get the idle motor to spin. Now your rig will coast when you let off the throttle or point down hill. The other issue would be, what is the weight difference in a Summit trans vs. an Axial trans + 2 motors?
Grandmasboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:32 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

When the other motor is spinning because of the other motors power, its going to end up a generator....it's going to create power thats looped back into the circuit, while most of the controls can handle this to some degree, its usually in the form of braking, which is a very minute amount....a 25t turn spinning at full speed is going to spin that 45t pretty good, and generate some serious power....I would suggest making sure the ESCs you are using can handle this input without causing problems.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

level 3 racing makes a 2 motor mount for the ax tranny but IMO it puts too much weight up high and is useless.

I would just do a 2 speed tranny.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Just run a sensored brushless 13.5t motor and you will get the same effect without the complication.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote